High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Any body else got the flu going around?

Yds has it and now his ydd. Every dr seems to have a different answer about tamiflu. One says it is just about a miracle drug, another says they don't like to give it and another says "oh this otc med is just as good". They also can't seem to agree on how long they are contagious. Ugh. Think I will just give everyone surgical masks to wear at Christmas!
Not flu, necessarily. But someone did come into work sick where DD works, and now, literally the WHOLE PLACE has the same illness! DD has been sick for a week and a half, but I don't think it's the flu. One coworker is missing his whole holiday with his family - he's staying home while they all go away. I think I may have gotten a very mild case from DD as I had some similar symptoms, too, last week, but thankfully it wasn't severe. I've asked DD to try to protect the rest of us at home by sneezing into her sleeve and washing her hands frequently, being careful with tissues, etc. Knock on wood. I'm not sure what to tell you about Tamiflu, it does seem people either like it or hate it. I think it's probably worth a try.

Yds has it and now his ydd. Every dr seems to have a different answer about tamiflu. One says it is just about a miracle drug, another says they don't like to give it and another says "oh this otc med is just as good". They also can't seem to agree on how long they are contagious. Ugh. Think I will just give everyone surgical masks to wear at Christmas!
Oh no!! I Tamiflu is worth trying IF you take it very early on or even almost preemptively if you've been flu exposed. It seems to have a very narrow window of effectiveness to disrupt the flu virus.

When I've been exposed to colds etc and feel the very first start of a tickle I start zinc lozenges- day and night for 24 hours. Will kill taste buds for a couple days, and may cause upset stomach but will kill of cold virus if taken early enough.

I love this!! Beautiful family! :goodvibes
Thank you- from Thanksgiving with DD. Only 1 more week til we see her again...have her gifts all ready to celebrate when she comes home. She's been shipping gifts for her siblings home and I've been wrapping them.

Ugh-hope everyone stays well this holiday (or is able to recover quickly!!)

DH had the flu last Christmas and Tamiflu worked great for him. He literally felt much better the next day.

Well, all of DD's worries about her grades were for nothing too (see previous post about the one teacher that graded really harshly, lol). She did end up with a C in his glass but it was only worth 2 units. She also received A's in all three of her 3 unit classes and an A- and B+ in her other two unit classes. So she ended up with a 3.6 GPA for the semester (and on the Dean's List) :) She is super happy and relieved. Great news considering she starts Spring semester next week, so at least it will be on a high note ;)

It is so hard to believe that in just a few months she will be half way done already!!

Took DD to the ENT today, and he gave her a regimen she promissed to follow in school. He also told her not to go to the health center with any ENT issues without calling him first and not to let it get to the point it did last couple months. I sincerely hope she listened to him.

Took DD to the ENT today, and he gave her a regimen she promissed to follow in school. He also told her not to go to the health center with any ENT issues without calling him first and not to let it get to the point it did last couple months. I sincerely hope she listened to him.
Do you mind if I ask - what is the regimen? Sinus issues can be tricky!

Do you mind if I ask - what is the regimen? Sinus issues can be tricky!
Sensimist once a day (flonase is better, but it hurts her). Nasal irrigation at least weekly. No decongestants at all. Call him at first sign of active infection. We will see. He wants her to continue this religiously for 6 months.

Sensimist once a day (flonase is better, but it hurts her). Nasal irrigation at least weekly. No decongestants at all. Call him at first sign of active infection. We will see. He wants her to continue this religiously for 6 months.
Yes, that's similar to advice DD got for a sinus issue, too. She does the Flonase. But taking a decongestant along with that competes with it, since it's a steroid inhaler, so not something that should be done. This seems to be relatively new thinking, as far as I can tell. (DH had chronic sinus issues with surgery and all, and he's had various treatments over the years.) Anyway, I'm glad she's found something that works for her. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, that's similar to advice DD got for a sinus issue, too. She does the Flonase. But taking a decongestant along with that competes with it, since it's a steroid inhaler, so not something that should be done. This seems to be relatively new thinking, as far as I can tell. (DH had chronic sinus issues with surgery and all, and he's had various treatments over the years.) Anyway, I'm glad she's found something that works for her. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure it will work. Mostly because she's not compliant wgen it comes to medication of any sort, but I am hopeful.

We moved my son in 3 weeks ago. He is 3 weeks into a 10 week quarter. Unfortunately, he has a bit of a bad roommmate situation. The guy keeps late hours, is a jerk about it, and keeps talking about pot. He is with 3 other guys, and the other 2 are pretty nice and considerate IF the 3rd isn't around, but the 3rd is a bit of a ringleader and the other two seem to be followers.

He has put in for a change, so we are hoping that comes soon.

Otherwise, he really likes it a lot and is working hard. He says he has learned more in the 3 weeks there than he has in a year and a half at CC. Now, he tends to exaggerate a bit, so not really sure, but he likes it and wants to succeed, so I give that a thumbs up.

Last edited:
My son endured a full quarter (10 weeks) with the roommate from Hades. Drunken fights, threatening people, got put on probation (not a strong enough punishment IMO), and then his mother suggested he tell the school he was depressed and that is why he was in a fight, so he took his exacto knife and cut his arms 16 times, laughing all the while and saying, "This should make them think I am depressed!" There is more, but you get the gist. He was a nightmare!

He was home last week for Spring Break. We just took him back yesterday, with all of his stuff, to move into a new place, apartment style, with his own private bedroom. He FINALLY agreed half way through last quarter to let his college know he has Asperger's and needs some accommodations! It took them this long because they were full and didn't have anything available for him until now.

However, he did great, ended strong, kept his scholarship without a problem, and is going back for Spring quarter!

My son endured a full quarter (10 weeks) with the roommate from Hades. Drunken fights, threatening people, got put on probation (not a strong enough punishment IMO), and then his mother suggested he tell the school he was depressed and that is why he was in a fight, so he took his exacto knife and cut his arms 16 times, laughing all the while and saying, "This should make them think I am depressed!" There is more, but you get the gist. He was a nightmare!

He was home last week for Spring Break. We just took him back yesterday, with all of his stuff, to move into a new place, apartment style, with his own private bedroom. He FINALLY agreed half way through last quarter to let his college know he has Asperger's and needs some accommodations! It took them this long because they were full and didn't have anything available for him until now.

However, he did great, ended strong, kept his scholarship without a problem, and is going back for Spring quarter!
Oh my goodness! When you said "bad roommate" that was an understatement. That guy really sounds like he needs mental help-especially in light of all the horrific shootings. What kind of sicko cuts and laughs about it while bragging?? Thank goodness your son is OK!!

Sounds like your son is in much better situation and way to go for him surviving that - -and doing well too!!

DD was really stressed on quarter grades before spring break-thought she might have gotten her first "B" ever. Nope-still "A"'s but I wish she wouldn't put that kind of pressure on herself.
She also received and accepted a Summer Alumni DCP offer while we were on spring break (at Disney lol) last week. So she's gonna be gone for the summer, and my "other daughter" who moved to Florida (DD's BF from 6th grade, who stayed with us a couple holidays and all last summer)has decided to stay in FL and take summer classes. Will be very weird not having my girls around all summer...

Oh my goodness! When you said "bad roommate" that was an understatement. That guy really sounds like he needs mental help-especially in light of all the horrific shootings. What kind of sicko cuts and laughs about it while bragging?? Thank goodness your son is OK!!

Sounds like your son is in much better situation and way to go for him surviving that - -and doing well too!!

DD was really stressed on quarter grades before spring break-thought she might have gotten her first "B" ever. Nope-still "A"'s but I wish she wouldn't put that kind of pressure on herself.
She also received and accepted a Summer Alumni DCP offer while we were on spring break (at Disney lol) last week. So she's gonna be gone for the summer, and my "other daughter" who moved to Florida (DD's BF from 6th grade, who stayed with us a couple holidays and all last summer)has decided to stay in FL and take summer classes. Will be very weird not having my girls around all summer...

I get it. My middle son graduates this year and has requested to go to the summer "gap" program his school has. It is a summer program where incoming freshman start college before college. 8 weeks, two classes, with credits given (I think it is English and Psych and then a 1 credit Success in College class), and lots of activities to get them acclimated to college before it officially starts in the Fall. I am sad.....and happy.....but mostly sad.

Oldest does plan to come home and take 2 community college Gen Ed classes and maybe do an internship. He did one last year locally and he hopes to call them and see if he can do it again, with or without pay, we don't care, he just needs some experience. He is an animation major, but he did concept art for the local gaming company in the past.

Sounds like your daughter will have a fantastic summer.....and congrats on the As. My son got As and Bs, which is needed to keep his scholarship. He gets As on the subjects he loves, but Bs crop up in subjects he feels are a waste of his time, you know, like English class! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Yeah the "less in the nest" thing is real lol!
He gets As on the subjects he loves, but Bs crop up in subjects he feels are a waste of his time, you know, like English class! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
My girls get the A's no matter what (and my middle loves English!!) but... my son...well lets just say there are wifi blackouts and extra chores until grades in subjects he doesn't care about come up. He is perfectly capable but needs "motivation" at times: he is way way advanced in math and science (testing and doing projects at least a grade above, in math it's 2 grades above) but social studies? He brought home a "D" one quarter. Grounded, no wifi etc for a quarter. Mysteriously he brought the grade up to an A....

The summer gap program sounds amazing. Will definitely make fall easier for him.

Yeah, DS finally realized, to not spend the rest of his life in school, needs to pull his grades up. He can do the work, and is not too hard for him, he'd rather just take the classes he likes. Even no phone or video game was not enough. He's been a hard kid to motivate ever since he was young. He may take a summer class to get more credits. Sigh, 2 years at the community school may mean a bit more than that before transferring to the 4 year school. And changed major. I was like that's great, but what can you do with that? He's still figuring that out. He's almost 21, and I feel old. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter