High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

GAH! We found out today that the scholarship is less than we had anticipated. We were told one thing, but either they didn't explain well or we misunderstood, but apparently two of the scholarships he applied for can't be stacked. You get the higher of the two as they are both merit based. This is putting us in a difficult situation because the cost is a bit prohibitive. We may indeed need a plan B. He is discouraged and we are sad for him.

We are still going to try to make it work, but it is very expensive and we will have 2 kids in college next year.

So, we can either:

1. Have him stay at CC and take more classes that will transfer and try again later.
2. Along with the above, add a few more schools into the search and apply in March/April to several schools and see what he can get
3. Take out more of a loan than we want

Question:

Is there a way to see what we might qualify for next year with two kids in college? Does the FAFSA spell that out fairly clearly?

Sorry, coming in really late to this one (I don't seem to get notifications of new posts on this thread anymore).

I'm so sorry for the struggles. I don't know if I have mentioned that my DD is also on the spectrum and I understand how it feels when they find that right fit (especially since my DD is at a private Art College also) and you want so much to make it work out for them. My DD would have gotten lost (not literally, well, maybe literally too) in a big school or CC so the small campus and small class sizes of the private college really work in her favor.

I wish I had some advice for you. I don't know about SCAD, but DD's school expenses outside of tuition and fees is basically just art supplies. In three semesters she only needed 4 books and two were purchased on Amazon (paperback, about $15 each) and the other two were written by the professors and were custom bound (both around $20). So DD has had very little in the way of expenses for books. The first year was a lot more for Art supplies but this year has been less than $100. This is a substantial savings over the cost of books/supplies at a regular college (if that helps any).

I'll have my fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

Sorry, coming in really late to this one (I don't seem to get notifications of new posts on this thread anymore).

I'm so sorry for the struggles. I don't know if I have mentioned that my DD is also on the spectrum and I understand how it feels when they find that right fit (especially since my DD is at a private Art College also) and you want so much to make it work out for them. My DD would have gotten lost (not literally, well, maybe literally too) in a big school or CC so the small campus and small class sizes of the private college really work in her favor.

I wish I had some advice for you. I don't know about SCAD, but DD's school expenses outside of tuition and fees is basically just art supplies. In three semesters she only needed 4 books and two were purchased on Amazon (paperback, about $15 each) and the other two were written by the professors and were custom bound (both around $20). So DD has had very little in the way of expenses for books. The first year was a lot more for Art supplies but this year has been less than $100. This is a substantial savings over the cost of books/supplies at a regular college (if that helps any).

I'll have my fingers crossed that it all works out for you.

Thanks. We are planning to make it work. He starts in January and we have already paid. It is just more than we had planned.

And we are still waiting on one more scholarship award they say he is getting, but I don't expect it to be huge.

Thank you!

ETA: He did get another scholarship. It wasn't huge but it is enough that we are making it happen.

Last edited:
It may not be huge, but every little bit helps...and 2 in college next year will also influence financial aid hopefully.

Dd21 and ds19 have about $30,000 in loans for three years, so $90,000 in state. Dd21 is starting her masters program in January. Dd16 has a very good GPA and test scores, so we are hoping to find a lesser school to offer more $. However one school she is interested in is $62,000 a year, the average GPA and test scores are significantly lower than hers, but they max out at $26,000 in merit aid. Plus, if she decides to go into physical therapy, she will need to go to a good school to get into a program after four years.

Ugh.

Yep, 2 in college for me in 2 years. Hoping to have the younger one maybe consider CC before going to a 4 year school, but so far since the older one is finishing his second year at a CC, wants no part of a CC for even a year. At least my older one is looking forward to his Spring classes. He's big frustrated though, as the one professor won't post his grade, so he can't get into any Spring classes without having all grades posted.

Shocking that the fall semester is wrapping up, and a yay, as he will be done finals before we leave on vacation. So happy we are all together for the holidays.

It may not be huge, but every little bit helps...and 2 in college next year will also influence financial aid hopefully.

We wil see. I don't really know what the income levels are before you get nothing, etc....

Apparently, Umass Amherst has 2 confirmed meningitis b cases.

I heard about one the other day. I believe they said it's the type not covered by the vaccine. :guilty:
Yes. Now I have to figure out how to get DD a vaccine immediately (there is a vaccine that covers it, but it's not the one DD got). I don't even know if her pediatrician stocks it. Umass health center has them, but DD isn't enrolled there. Besides, she says she has absolutely no time to go to the school health center before break.

Well, Dd is engaged! She was so surprised. He had her thinking it was a very late birthday party. All friends and family were there.

So now she is planning a wedding, planning for next semester and graduation, working part time, working on her certifications, getting ready to do an internship and has wrestling shows every weekend sometimes 2 or 3 a weekend. She is making me tired!

They traveled to Florida last night, I met her for a quick shopping trip this morning and they met dil for enagagement pictures shortly after that. Another show tonight and a third tomorrow.

They haven't exactly set a date but planning for next fall.

Well, Dd is engaged! She was so surprised. He had her thinking it was a very late birthday party. All friends and family were there.

So now she is planning a wedding, planning for next semester and graduation, working part time, working on her certifications, getting ready to do an internship and has wrestling shows every weekend sometimes 2 or 3 a weekend. She is making me tired!

They traveled to Florida last night, I met her for a quick shopping trip this morning and they met dil for enagagement pictures shortly after that. Another show tonight and a third tomorrow.

How lovely! Congratulations! I'm planning a fall wedding with my oldest right now.

Congratulations!!! How exciting!

Ahhh, luvsjack, that's so exciting!

And what I wouldn't do for the energy of my early 20s.... you really can take on the world at that age. :)

DD's only class tomorrow got cancelled. Im upset. If I had known, I would have gotten her a ticket home a day early.

Punkin, I'm so sorry, that's the stuff that makes you want to just :sad:
I hope you both have a wonderful holiday when she arrives.
Ours is skipping her last two classes (Spanish and programming) so she can beat rush hour and be home before dinner. Her last drive home turned into a 6-hour commute and she's not anxious to repeat that with the addition of Thanksgiving travelers.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'll have one daughter home from college for Thanksgiving, but the other one is 2000 miles away so she will be staying there. It is so lonely around the house without our kids. My husband works quite a bit, so at least I have 2 cats to keep me company :)

Ds is coming home tonight! I’ve only seen him for a few hours since August. Dd21 is coming home tomorrow, dd16, dd14 and I leave Thursday morning for a dance competition in Philadelphia (9th year in a row), si I’m looking forward to Christmas break. Dd21 lives in a house by her campus, so I doubt she’ll stay here more than a few days in December/January.

Congratulations to your daughter, luvsJack, she sounds like she is in a good place finishing up her degree and getting her career off the ground! I guess we are getting to that age, aren't we? One of DD's HS classmates already has a child, and DD ran into another one last month who was pregnant and all excited about her upcoming baby! I know DD looks forward to that some day as well, but she wants to finish school first - and also find the right person to share a life with, lol. So no rush! She has started dating someone new and she likes him a lot, they are both at the same place in their lives and relatively local to eachother, which is good to see. She's dated a variety of people and learned a lot about herself and what she's looking for (and doesn't want!) in the process. Her last boyfriend was verbally abusive, but in a slick sort of way, and it took a while for her to figure it out. Looking back now she's kind of horrified she didn't recognize it right away, but it wasn't something she'd ever experienced before and he was outwardly a charmer. When that happens, it's so nice to connect with someone who's "normal" later on.

Any other dating stories here?

Wishing you all a joyful and peaceful Thanksgiving with your loved ones, and so happy for those who are getting to see their kids home from school! :goodvibes Enjoy!

Congratulations to your daughter, luvsJack, she sounds like she is in a good place finishing up her degree and getting her career off the ground! I guess we are getting to that age, aren't we? One of DD's HS classmates already has a child, and DD ran into another one last month who was pregnant and all excited about her upcoming baby! I know DD looks forward to that some day as well, but she wants to finish school first - and also find the right person to share a life with, lol. So no rush! She has started dating someone new and she likes him a lot, they are both at the same place in their lives and relatively local to eachother, which is good to see. She's dated a variety of people and learned a lot about herself and what she's looking for (and doesn't want!) in the process. Her last boyfriend was verbally abusive, but in a slick sort of way, and it took a while for her to figure it out. Looking back now she's kind of horrified she didn't recognize it right away, but it wasn't something she'd ever experienced before and he was outwardly a charmer. When that happens, it's so nice to connect with someone who's "normal" later on.

Any other dating stories here?

Wishing you all a joyful and peaceful Thanksgiving with your loved ones, and so happy for those who are getting to see their kids home from school! :goodvibes Enjoy!

A lot of my friends have grandkids, but my oldest was born when I was almost 32, so many had 12 year olds by then!

None of my boys have had girlfriends so far. They have had girls as friends, but not girlfriends. Kind of glad actually.

A lot of my friends have grandkids, but my oldest was born when I was almost 32, so many had 12 year olds by then!

None of my boys have had girlfriends so far. They have had girls as friends, but not girlfriends. Kind of glad actually.
Yes, my DD19 has dated, but never seriously. I'm not worried yet. In today's world, there's plenty of time for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter