Hidden Disability

mlggator22

Mouseketeer
Background:
A few years ago I was diagnosed with a back condition, spondylolisthesis. When things are going well, you would never know that I had a problem and most of the time it is really really manageable. But I have to make sure that I don't do anything that could causes muscle spasms or tightening of lower back muscles. When that happens, it closes around where my nerves exit my spine at the L5/S1 vertebrae causing severe nerve pain down one or both legs along with bad pain in the lower back and hips. It can feel like I am getting electrical shocks on my legs and feet, very painful.

Staying in one position for long periods of time is a trigger for my muscles seizing up. Sitting is the worst. Absolutely no wheel chairs. Standing, while not as bad as sitting, can also cause the same problems. Best thing for my back is walking with brief periods of sitting and standing. Basically change up the muscles you're using and how you're using them so they stay loose.

Question:
I visited WDW two years ago and was able to get a DAS pass, which saved the trip for me. However, the customer service rep gave me such a hard time about it. I felt so crappy after having to fight for one. She really didn't want to give it to me and I don't think she believed I had a problem.

I am getting really stressed about having a similar confrontation when I go in a week. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I am so sorry to hear of your last experience and your current stress over it. 😢 I understand. First let me say that usually after you’ve had one, it is MUCH easier to just ask them to reactivate it for you.

Before I was in a wheelchair, no one could see anything either. My issue wasn’t wheelchair/stamina related, so even though I am currently in a chair, I still need it for other reasons (& it still looks invisible). I used to tear up every time I was at GS... and I am NOT a crier (except during fireworks- but that’s different 😆). But the stress of not being believed is very real... and being treated rudely about it is hard to overcome. Thankfully, I’ve had several wonderful interactions with GS over the past few years, so I don’t worry about it anymore... but it took a long time to recover from those first 2 times (one at DL & one at WDW- so I was “new” both times 🤦🏻‍♀️).

I hope it goes well for you & is totally stress-free!!! 🎉

After the first time I got a DAS, on each subsequent visit I have said "It has been a while since I have visited; I would like to renew my DAS", and have not been asked for another explanation, they just went ahead and renewed/reactivated it. I will note though that while others on here have reported that is usually their experience as well, some have said they have sometimes again been asked why they need it, so renewing isn't a universal 'don't have to explain again' situation. But it seems most of the time when you are renewing it you probably won't have to go through the explanation again -- but be prepared to in case you do.

As for explaining. The keys to remember are:

- Disney does not need to know your diagnosis

- They want to know why waiting in the line environment is problematic and why being able to wait outside the line environment would be helpful/more helpful than waiting in the line environment.

Also note that there is very little seating in the parks as they seem to keep taking away more and more benches over time.

Thanks for the heads up on the benches. I will have to strategize my day a little more to find places to rest.

I know from personal experience that there are handicapped rooms at both the Yacht Club and the Contemporary that have automatic door openers. I am not sure if that is because they are associated with conference centers. I have stayed at other deluxe resorts, Animal Kingdom and Beach Club with handicapped rooms that did not have them.

I know others with your similar situation have done a rollator or a wheelchair. They use it as a seat when needed and walk with it when they don't. They don't sit in it every minute. I assume you won't be doing the roller coasters, Toy Story, etc (rides that can jerk you around) so many of your queues will be manageable without a DAS. So true about the benches. Some days I think I would pay some serious money for a bench or seat, especially in Epcot.

Yep - I agree with @gap2368 and @anonymousegirl - you should strongly consider a Rollator if you feel like you can't sit in an ECV all day.

But, regarding the ECV, you can always employ the "park and walk" strategy; you park the ECV in a central area, in an approved parking area (you'll know - there will be tons of strollers and wheelchairs and ECVs) and then you walk around that area, and do all the things you want to do. When it's time to move on, you drive the ECV to the next area you are going to be in. (So, maybe you start in Tomorrowland, and then move to Fantasyland; you only use the scooter to move between them, or if you suddenly need to sit).

An appropriately sized Rollator is a great option - it takes away a bit of your "hidden" disability to be sure, but in addition to giving you some support while walking, it also has the advantage of giving you a seat at a moments notice. Bonus extra: Most of them have a storage basket under the seat, which always comes in handy. If you find yourself leaning heavily on the shopping cart handle at the store, a Rollator will be your new friend at WDW.

You can also just use a plain old wheelchair - wheel it like a rollator, and just don't load it down - you don't want to have to find a spot for a bunch of stuff if you need to suddenly sit down.

I suffer from a lot of the same things you do, plus some additional fun "extras" that mean I will always use a personal mobility device at WDW. Like so many other folks here, if you saw most of us in our "real life" outside WDW, you would never know that we need to use assistance of some form at WDW. That's because in our real lives at home, we don't walk 3 to 10 miles *per day* and we don't stand for 45 minutes in a line several times a day, and we don't climb in and out of amusement park ride vehicles all day.

So, we need a *tool* to meet the unique challenge that is Disney World. And just like any other tool you might use at home - a calculator to do math, a hammer to pound a nail, or a pair of glasses to see better - we know that using that tool is the best way to make our trip as comfortable and efficient as possible.

Don't worry about "looking" disabled or not. Trust me, no one considers using *any* form of accommodation at WDW unless they absolutely have to. And your chances of having a run-in with anyone who thinks you are "faking it" are slim and none.

If you need room to keep walking/moving, and you have another person in your travel party, you can always make a "bubble" in the queue, where you let the group(s) ahead of you go on (even further than standard COVID-19 spacing) and then you can walk back and forth in that "bubble" while your party stands behind you to help keep others from crowding up, and filling your space. The trick to the "bubble" is to make sure that you keep it moving once you have it established - then the people behind you won't get frustrated.

About the CMs at Guest Relations: If your needs are met by using a wheelchair or a rollator, then congratulations! You can bypass Guest Relations, not worry about the DAS, and get straight to the fun! Please be aware that Disney does have a policy in place that they don't give out a DAS for mobility-related issues; if your issue with lines can be addressed with a personal mobility device, they may tell you to utilize one of those, and that the DAS is not appropriate for your case. I'm *not* trying to stress you out more - I just want to set a reasonable expectation for you. If by some chance they don't reissue your DAS, you can always go try a ride (or two) and then go back and ask to speak to them about it again, and try to explain again why waiting in the "regular" queue didn't work for you.

And last, but not least, remember that each Park at WDW has a First Aid station (always clearly marked on the paper maps, as well as the maps in your My Disney Experience app) and you can go there if you need to lie down for a bit, or if you need some generic Tylenol, or an ice pack. They are some of the nicest CMs you will meet at WDW.

Thank you everyone for your amazing advice and support. I really really appreciate it. It's hard, because in many ways I don't consider myself disabled. That's because in everyday life activities, I have learned how to work with my condition to avoid major issues. As the previous poster said, at WDW it is different.

I second the idea of using a rollator - it will give you the seat you need, when you need it.

Mention you had one in the past but also be prepared to answer a lot of questions again. We've received a DAS for my son every time we've gone (and the wait for the DAS renewal is usually a good indicator that he needs one.) Usually just saying we needed a renewal was enough. When we went in August, we were grilled. The absence of Fast Pass has made CMs really push back on the DAS issuance.

You may (or not) meet the same resistance this trip. The need to change positions is more of a mobility/stamina issue for WDW, and their standard accommodation is a mobility device instead of DAS. DAS doesn't provide for a place to sit as you describe for changing positions and there aren't many benches in the parks, exacerbated now by the lack of easy access to QS locations without a mobile order to pick-up. Would you consider using a rollator? Or even a wheelchair that you alternate pushing and sitting? These are really the best options for having a seat when needed to change positions frequently. My understanding is that the queues look long due to social-distancing requirements but they are mostly slow-moving through that distance, not necessarily standing still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!