HI moving toward ending testing...

FYI ... On May 11th, testing goes away for interisland travel if you are vaccinated. Article says "this summer" for transpacific travel and "later this year" for international

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawaii-residents-excited-over-new-coronavirus-travel-rules/

I agree this is a step in the right direction however the May 11th date for inter island travel is only for Hawaiian residents. They are still trying to figure out how to prove vaccination status for non-residents.

PP is correct - the article I read said the vaccine exemption is only for those who were vaccinated in the state of Hawaii. I'm sure that's the first step, but no news yet for those of us who were vaccinated on the mainland.

I was hoping it would be in place for trans pacific visitors by July but after reading that the inter island travel is only for those vaccinated in HI, I don't think there will be a system in place by July 2021 for me to use.

If the requirement is going to be verification of vaccination then I don't think there will ever be a system in place I can use. I don't see many, if any, of the other 49 states dedicating resources to allowing HI to check vaccination status. There just isn't money in states budgets to develop that system knowing the end result is money leaving the state and going to HI in the form of leisure travel.

You can already buy fake vaccine cards on ebay.

I have to agree that with how vaccination is being tracked at a state level, the ability of Hawaii to authenticate is going to be basically zip-o-rama.

And Maui has just announced adding a second test upon landing for those coming from mainland.
I was glad to hear it was a quick test and that it was free. Weird they are rolling this out at this point though!

You can already buy fake vaccine cards on ebay.

I have to agree that with how vaccination is being tracked at a state level, the ability of Hawaii to authenticate is going to be basically zip-o-rama.

By summer they will definitely be doing something for out of state travelers. Once enough of their residents are vaccinated the broader concerns (overrun hospitals, etc) are mostly mooted.

I was hoping it would be in place for trans pacific visitors by July but after reading that the inter island travel is only for those vaccinated in HI, I don't think there will be a system in place by July 2021 for me to use.

If the requirement is going to be verification of vaccination then I don't think there will ever be a system in place I can use. I don't see many, if any, of the other 49 states dedicating resources to allowing HI to check vaccination status. There just isn't money in states budgets to develop that system knowing the end result is money leaving the state and going to HI in the form of leisure travel.
I’m afraid you’re probably right on that....unless maybe the airlines get in on it? They might have enough stake in getting travel back up to speed to help track some of that? Although with the money they’ve put into cleaning and filters and such, maybe not. IDK. Hoping something comes sooner rather than later for all of us with trips planned. The test timing really stresses me out.

I’m afraid you’re probably right on that....unless maybe the airlines get in on it? They might have enough stake in getting travel back up to speed to help track some of that? Although with the money they’ve put into cleaning and filters and such, maybe not. IDK. Hoping something comes sooner rather than later for all of us with trips planned. The test timing really stresses me out.

Not only is there a lack of money from the states, the vaccinated data lists aren't accurate so it doesn't matter if the airlines throw money in.

My DH and more than a handful of people we know have received text messages from the state claiming they all need to get their second shot. All of them have both shots. A few were vaccinated at the same place as my DH so we thought maybe the site didn't report the data correctly. However, other people who have received the text were vaccinated at other locations.

Until things can be fixed at local levels, I don't see how a larger data base is going to work.

Not only is there a lack of money from the states, the vaccinated data lists aren't accurate so it doesn't matter if the airlines throw money in.

My DH and more than a handful of people we know have received text messages from the state claiming they all need to get their second shot. All of them have both shots. A few were vaccinated at the same place as my DH so we thought maybe the site didn't report the data correctly. However, other people who have received the text were vaccinated at other locations.

Until things can be fixed at local levels, I don't see how a larger data base is going to work.
I too received a follow-up message, saying I urgently needed to get my second shot -- when I had just done so a few days prior! At first, I was a bit nervous that my vaccination data had somehow not been accurately recorded. However, as soon as I was eligible (2 weeks following my second shot), I registered for the Excelsior Pass through NY state. Well, I am registered just fine with the state because my pass became active, no problems. :-) I actually first tried to get the Excelsior Pass a day too early and was not able to get it... So at least in NY, it looks like things are working properly. [Well, maybe not the text reminders (haha!)]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter