hi and sweet potato recipe

caitycaity

<font color=009999>Accidentally deleted her tags<b
I'm new to this board, but I lurk here all the time and have tried some of the great recipes posted here!

Since I got married, I am trying to cook more instead of just throwing in a frozen dinner. It's hard to find the time, but I really do love to cook (especially with all of my new cooking appliances that I got as wedding presents!) :)

Anyways, I was putting together a menu for Christmas dinner and I came across my grandmother's sweet potato recipe. Our family usually has this for Thankgiving, but it is SO good that I'm having it for Christmas too. :) I thought you all might enjoy this, and I don't think my grandma would mind. :)

Enjoy! (the notes are from my mom)

1 16 oz. can of sweet potatoes in light syrup or water, drained (cut up or mashed if desired, I usually mash them)
1 16 oz. jar of chunky, homestyle applesauce
------
Mix the following and cut in the butter
1 t. cinnamon (think I used a more)
3/4 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. dark brown sugar (I'm sure light brown is ok too)
4 T. flour
1/3 c. butter or margarine

layer about 1/2 of the applesauce in the bottom of a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish
add a layer of about 1/2 half sweet potatoes
sprinkle about half of the cinnamon mixture

repeat layers (cinnamon should be on top), bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.

I have made this before and it is really good, even my sister who doesn't like sweet potato's liked this.

i must admit i'm not a big sweet potato fan, but you're right this is really good. i wonder if it's a michigan/midwest thing? (i see that's where you're from.) my grandma lives in michigan. :)

Thanks, it sounds great. This Thanksgiving was the first time I tried sweet pototoes. I was surprised they were so good. I'm gonna give this a try. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter