HHN - suitable for kids?

Should we take our 10-year-old nephew to HHN?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 92.2%

• Total voters
They have definitely targeted on DGD
Both in the houses and in the zones. Not just her but they have not avoided her at all
She does look older than 11 but is clearly young
I am glad to hear this. We are taking our DD11 who loves all things scary. Our local haunted houses don’t cut it anymore. She would be really upset if people didn’t try to scare her.

As others have said, kids aged 8-13 could have a great time - especially given Stranger Things and GB. I saw quite a few kids around 9/10ish near us in line last year having a lot of fun.

But I HATE seeing babies and very young toddlers in strollers - and really feel UO should prohibit anyone under the age of 5 or maybe 3. >:(

There's no reason for very young children to be there, other than the parents not able or wanting to get a babysitter. And medically, it's dangerous- a baby's ears at that age are very vulnerable and need to be protected- HHN is a very loud event. Plus, people running, slamming into others, making sudden, unexpected movements.

I agree about the volume levels. It is extremely loud in the houses and in the streets. I too think there should be no stroller aged kids there. No reason. Sorry you didn’t have a sitter but that’s no excuse. There are services to provide sitters

I am glad to hear this. We are taking our DD11 who loves all things scary. Our local haunted houses don’t cut it anymore. She would be really upset if people didn’t try to scare her.
She really got focused on the second time we walked through Zombieland. There were times they ganged up on her too. One from the front and one from the back. And in that zone they all appear as normal people in the crowd. It’s not till they jump at you that you see there are in character

As others have said, kids aged 8-13 could have a great time - especially given Stranger Things and GB. I saw quite a few kids around 9/10ish near us in line last year having a lot of fun.

But I HATE seeing babies and very young toddlers in strollers - and really feel UO should prohibit anyone under the age of 5 or maybe 3. >:(

There's no reason for very young children to be there, other than the parents not able or wanting to get a babysitter. And medically, it's dangerous- a baby's ears at that age are very vulnerable and need to be protected- HHN is a very loud event. Plus, people running, slamming into others, making sudden, unexpected movements.
Yipes seeing young kids would be a no no for me. No matter what way you slice it with a young kid who may be out of the stroller keeping track of them in the crowds or in the stroller navigating through the crowds and intentional theme/vibe that's just asking for issues.

On the loud thing I would say Disney presents just as much of a risk in that department with pyro and fireworks. The difference overall may be the length of time exposed as HHN is hours worth of it. I myself need noise reduction headphones to be able to enjoy fireworks. Not too many children have I seen had those on when Disney has their fireworks though I would suggest that.

She really got focused on the second time we walked through Zombieland. There were times they ganged up on her too. One from the front and one from the back. And in that zone they all appear as normal people in the crowd. It’s not till they jump at you that you see there are in character
That sounds so fun! I love that they blend in for that extra scare factor!!

Well - with each year it does seem to get more and more kid friendly.
I'd prefer that they enforce the 13+ rule.

A few years back you had Nurses selling shots.
The scare zones were a lot more fun as well.

First the Alcohol was reduced (Maybe an NBC Comcast thing)
The scares seemed to be toned down a bit.

Then stranger things came - the pre-mixed drinks had even less Alcohol
More kids showed up and they had the best HHN ever attendance wise - even adding Wednesdays after it started I think

This year - more kids and more Stranger Things - in the end it is more about the numbers than anything else - a kids ticket cost the same as an adult - and a family is 3 or 4 tickets on average - a couple only two

This year SAs were told specifically not to scare children - that is ridiculous - maybe they should not be there?

It was a very disappointing year for me and I can just hope they are saving it for the 30th

For Universal I suspect it will be highly profitable.

Also even with the reduction of alcohol I saw people mis-treating the SAs - and security was on it - but still I get that they have to balance that

it's a tough one - but as long as it is making them a lot of money its probably not going to change

There is no truth to their not focusing on kids. I was witness to plenty of their focus right on DGD

and I think you second to the last paragraph explains coaches more than anything. Guests are bigger jerks than ever. Alcohol makes it worse. If they struggle to control the jerks with less alcohol they would fail with more. It’s not kids that are ruining your HHN. It’s jerk guests

This will be my third year taking DS13 - so we started going when he was 11. Over the past couple years we noticed that some scare actors would back right off when they saw the kids, a few did not.

Last year we couldn't believe how many little kids there were - it didn't necessarily effect our evening, just thought it was odd (and potentially dangerous with people running all over the place).

My issue really was with teens - specifically teens that get dropped off at the front gate and have no supervision. I wish that under 18 (or an age near that) would require adult supervision. We had no problems with young kids - no problems with drunks - but got nailed a few times by groups of teens running from everything 🙄

Also, since we're talking about kids, realize just how much they will absorb while they're waiting in all of the lines. It's a pretty serious party atmosphere and we know that going in - lots of drinking and smoking in lines - adult conversations, etc. I have no issues with it (hey, it's an adult event), but like to let others know what the evening is like.

A side note, for noise, we ordered cool earplugs off of Amazon. We saw our RIP tour guides using them our first year - best purchase ever for DS13!

This will be my third year taking DS13 - so we started going when he was 11. Over the past couple years we noticed that some scare actors would back right off when they saw the kids, a few did not.

Last year we couldn't believe how many little kids there were - it didn't necessarily effect our evening, just thought it was odd (and potentially dangerous with people running all over the place).

My issue really was with teens - specifically teens that get dropped off at the front gate and have no supervision. I wish that under 18 (or an age near that) would require adult supervision. We had no problems with young kids - no problems with drunks - but got nailed a few times by groups of teens running from everything 🙄

Also, since we're talking about kids, realize just how much they will absorb while they're waiting in all of the lines. It's a pretty serious party atmosphere and we know that going in - lots of drinking and smoking in lines - adult conversations, etc. I have no issues with it (hey, it's an adult event), but like to let others know what the evening is like.

A side note, for noise, we ordered cool earplugs off of Amazon. We saw our RIP tour guides using them our first year - best purchase ever for DS13!
In all honesty my experience is just because you have supervision doesn't mean whoever is responsible will actually do anything and that goes from just day to day activities.

I still remember the awful behavior from elementary school aged kids and lack of any caring from the adults in the group at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels several years ago. Not one gave a crap about the kids running all over the place, running into people, cutting in front of them, etc.

Plus most often supervising in that sense at a park like that isn't going to mean they will actually be there next to whoever 24/7. All too easy to say go wherever I'll be in X place.

But I get you, it's why I avoid certain places in my area due to the type of individuals who seem to frequent there.

As others have said, it depends upon the kid, but generally, 10 is probably too young. I took DS last year when he was 12. He loved it but was definitely scared. I am rarely scared, so it's hard for me to judge. Most people would not feel comfortable taking anyone under 13. There's adult material in the houses and on the streets, alcohol, simulated violence, etc. If you think you will want to try it, have a back up plan, so that the child can go back to the room. Also, try a local haunt first and see how that goes. Does the child watch scary movies? How does he react? Does he have nightmares? My son had been watching scary movies for a long time before going. He has never had a nightmare. I was still pretty uncertain how he would handle it. My family is a bit different though. Jaws was one of my favorite movies when I was a young child, like 5 or younger. My family is very rooted in reality (OK, we're boring and unimaginative) and can tell from an early age what is real and what is make-believe. I saw grown adults that had to leave the event this year due to its nature. There's no judgement in this; everyone is different. Be very honest with yourselves about the situation. Watch some of the walkthrough videos. Craig has a put up a bunch on the DIS YouTube site.

My daughter would have loved it at 10; my son probably won't want to go until he's--well, maybe never! Every child is different. I was a huge horror fan at 10 and would have had the time of my life if I'd been able to go to HHN. DD and I have season passes and go as often as we can. DH doesn't really enjoy it and DS 11 would faint dead away. He was terrified going through Poseidon's Fury and wanted to go out the emergency exit.

I will say I have seen the scare actors going after children. I saw that little girl zombie get right up in a little girl's face. The little girl took it well, though--scared in a "having fun" way--which is really what you want. If she had been truly terrified they might have backed off.

We went last night with DD11 and she absolutely loved it! We did all the houses and all the scare zones. She only got scared of one of the nurses at Vanity Ball because she came at her with a needle (her big fear, lol!) but she was laughing the whole time. They definitely went after her and it was great!

In all honesty my experience is just because you have supervision doesn't mean whoever is responsible will actually do anything and that goes from just day to day activities.

I still remember the awful behavior from elementary school aged kids and lack of any caring from the adults in the group at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels several years ago. Not one gave a crap about the kids running all over the place, running into people, cutting in front of them, etc.

Plus most often supervising in that sense at a park like that isn't going to mean they will actually be there next to whoever 24/7. All too easy to say go wherever I'll be in X place.

But I get you, it's why I avoid certain places in my area due to the type of individuals who seem to frequent there.

It's definitely a double edged sword. On the one hand I think it would be good to have to enforce the idea of having a legal adult with someone who is underage for various reasons. Not only to potential help in making sure they behave, but also to keep an eye on them for safety reasons. I think I read somewhere they do not have the "shots" anymore, but a few years back the couple of times I was there the nurses (from my point of view) seemed to never check ID. Also, while I haven't heard of it really happening I could imagine there is potential for sexually harassment issues (however they can happen any age). Hate to be dark, but it can happen.

However, at the same time, as we've all discussed, there are plenty of adults who would not take supervising their children seriously, or just let things go. Which I'm sure not only we've seen this behavior plenty of times in the parks (in general), but in our day to day activities in our lives, as you mentioned. Also, as someone else stated, some adult guests are jerks in general, specifically to SAs. So, you potentially have: Do not care attitude (and/or potential jerk) + alcohol + teenagers. Which wouldn't help in a situation if adults were enforced to watch underage guests.

There are pros and cons to both, as well as, to me, it depends on the child on whether it is necessary, or not, as much as whether supervision would be a good thing, or not, depends on the adult as well.

Well - with each year it does seem to get more and more kid friendly.
I'd prefer that they enforce the 13+ rule.

A few years back you had Nurses selling shots.
The scare zones were a lot more fun as well.

First the Alcohol was reduced (Maybe an NBC Comcast thing)
The scares seemed to be toned down a bit.

Then stranger things came - the pre-mixed drinks had even less Alcohol
More kids showed up and they had the best HHN ever attendance wise - even adding Wednesdays after it started I think

This year - more kids and more Stranger Things - in the end it is more about the numbers than anything else - a kids ticket cost the same as an adult - and a family is 3 or 4 tickets on average - a couple only two

This year SAs were told specifically not to scare children - that is ridiculous - maybe they should not be there?

It was a very disappointing year for me and I can just hope they are saving it for the 30th

For Universal I suspect it will be highly profitable.

Also even with the reduction of alcohol I saw people mis-treating the SAs - and security was on it - but still I get that they have to balance that

it's a tough one - but as long as it is making them a lot of money its probably not going to change

I agree with this 100%.
I just had a feeling that with Stranger Things II and Ghostbusters and huge numbers last year, that this year would be even more so "dumbed down"

I have high hopes for the 30th as the 25th was so fun.

I have expressed my feelings to Universal. Who knows if more people express their feelings, then maybe it will go back to the way it was.

We went for two nights a few weeks ago - we didn't do any of the houses or mazes, its not our thing, we took advantage of the almost no waits for many of the rides that were open.
I would not take a 10 year old regardless of how well prepared they are. To me, its not just about being prepared, its about it being a teen/adult event and I'm a fan of making kids wait to experience things. The affects, roaming zombies and dudes with chainsaws didn't bother me but the immense pockets of crowds, where we could hardly move totally gave me the willys, I would worry about how a kidlet would handle those types of "large adult" crowds. Plus there is the adult clothing (or lack thereof) lots of alcohol, adult language etc.

I don't think a child should be at an adult event because as an adult, sometimes I don't want to "watch my mouth" or"let the littles go first" etc. We had the most fun in Diagon during HHN as my adult child was able to wander around using their wand to their hearts content and not having to be aware to "let the smaller kids go" etc.

We went for two nights a few weeks ago - we didn't do any of the houses or mazes, its not our thing, we took advantage of the almost no waits for many of the rides that were open.
I would not take a 10 year old regardless of how well prepared they are. To me, its not just about being prepared, its about it being a teen/adult event and I'm a fan of making kids wait to experience things. The affects, roaming zombies and dudes with chainsaws didn't bother me but the immense pockets of crowds, where we could hardly move totally gave me the willys, I would worry about how a kidlet would handle those types of "large adult" crowds. Plus there is the adult clothing (or lack thereof) lots of alcohol, adult language etc.

I don't think a child should be at an adult event because as an adult, sometimes I don't want to "watch my mouth" or"let the littles go first" etc. We had the most fun in Diagon during HHN as my adult child was able to wander around using their wand to their hearts content and not having to be aware to "let the smaller kids go" etc.
I have a different approach to kids
I don't believe in treating kids special, even at Disney/Universal
They get to wait in line just like everyone else. They don't get special access because they are kids.
And adult language, clothing or seeing adults consume alcohol is of no danger to a kid. It's a good time to show, maybe you don't want to be like that, see how bad, silly, or whatever, it looks/sounds.

I have a different approach to kids
I don't believe in treating kids special, even at Disney/Universal
They get to wait in line just like everyone else. They don't get special access because they are kids.
And adult language, clothing or seeing adults consume alcohol is of no danger to a kid. It's a good time to show, maybe you don't want to be like that, see how bad, silly, or whatever, it looks/sounds.
I once said a mild curse word in a bar where you had to be 21 and over after a certain time but could stay there if you were already there and parents next to me glared at my like nobody's business. I'm like in my head "you have a kid in a bar where now it's the time that everyone is carded..."

Some people, despite seeing that the atmosphere is more adult, make a ruckus when people exhibit behaviors that are more adult-like so I get what you're saying and I get what the other poster is saying.

I took my 10 year old son last night and we had a blast! We did not see any out of ordinary behavior that I have not seen at a local restaurant or professional sporting event. Now I didn’t take my 8 year old bc I knew she just wouldn’t like it but my son and I had a ball and going again tonight.
I also didn’t see any adults having hearburn over us attending. It was a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!