• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HHI - pros and cons

dec2901

Mouseketeer
We visited HHI last summer and stayed at a Marriott on the beach. We had a wonderful time and truly enjoyed the island. We considering buying at Disney's HHI but have never visited. What are the pros and cons of the resort? Also, HHI owners do you ever have difficulty booking at WDW. Thank you so much!

First, we've never used our HHI points to book anywhere other than at HHI. We also own points at WDW, so can't help with using HHI points to book at WDW. Cons of the resort-the streets roll up early, so don't expect a wild evening; the resort isn't on the ocean; someone considered it a con that when they drove down the road, they couldn't see the ocean-when they're on an island they wanted to see the ocean all the time; signs are small and night-lighting is virtually non-existent so driving around can be frustrating-especially at night; restrictive beach policies-for example, I don't know about glass, alcohol on the beach. Pros-the best CMs ever; very, calm relaxed atmosphere (really a "vacation"); lots of nature; because it's so small, people tend to remember you and so you feel like you're really "home". I love the place, so I can tell my bias is showing, so I'll stop here.

I visited hhi last august. It is fantastic and if you want to travel in summer regularly, the 11 month window is needed. I came home wanting a hhi contract. The resort has a very disney feel in the best way possible- well themed, charming and great for families. The resort is not on the beach but to me it was a plus because going to the beach was doing something. Rooms are spacious with nice balconies with rocking chairs. I look forward to going back.

I dont have hhi points but often book at wdw at 7 months. The only time i have used my 11 month window was for the vwl in november and will book at 11 months (hopefully) for vwl in december. I always book at wdw using my ssr points at 7 months for the summer and even less for other times of thr years - but i am a wdw resortnfan and like many resorts and am generally flexible on date/view.

We enjoyed our short 3 night stay here a few years ago even though it rained half the time. It is not easy to get summer months. We definitely want to go back and would not mind having a few points there or Vero for that matter but I would definitely stay there first and make sure you like it and plan on using your points there most of the time. Won't have trouble getting HH points.

Good luck!

We are another family who only uses HHI points there. We have enough points for a 2 bedroom every other year for 4-5 nights in the summer. When we tried to add more nights at 7 months we have not been able to.

This place has been our list to stay for years. We've gone to Hilton Head every year for last 15 years but we always stay at our friends place. Just once, we plan to book a few nights and see why so many DVC HHI owners are in love with the place.

I am having this dilemma too--we spent every other summer at HHI when I was a kid. It's a great vacation destination, a reasonable drive for us, just enough to do--but when i consider using my DVC points for it I am uncertain. We rented beautifully appointed 2br condos the last few years in Shipyard Plantation within walking distance to the beach for $800/wk from a friend ($1000 is the rack rate) during the summer and so we are hesitant to spend the points on a dvc unit since it is the equivalent of triple the $ or more. Of course, their unit lacks the Disney, the programming, etc, but we still haven't managed to pull the trigger. i want to take the fam there but we'd have to go in the off season which is much less desirable

Pros:
easy entrance to DVC (low initial investment)

Cons:
location (just for me, a beach vacation means a room on the beach with ocean view)
high MFs (it's not cost efficient to use HHI pts in DVC system, compared to SSR)

We prefer a VRBO rental for HHI. I don't need an ocean view, but I do like being a short 5 min or less walk from the beach. We once stayed a couple of nights at the Disney HHI resort and liked it, really nice marsh view from our villa, but it is more cost effective to rent a condo in one of the resort developments like Palmetto Dunes. The same can be said at WDW - less expensive to rent a condo offsite - but at WDW I feel the benefits of staying on site with DVC are worth the extra money, That is just my opinion, some people love the Disney HHI resort and would not consider staying anywhere else. Either way, HHI is a great family vacation destination.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We went in 2011 for my Mom's 80th birthday I bought a few points to get in and the rest is cash. We stayed in a 2 bed room sight unseen just recommendation off of here. I can't say enough great things! From the CM to the resort. The pools are great the villas are wonderful. They even did a Tye dye just for our family. We ended up with 17 though those 9 stayed else where. I can't say enough good things we are going back in mid August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter