HHI places to eat?

houseofmouse5

Mouseketeer
We are going to HHI and I’m looking for recommendations of places to eat.
Anyone have favorite places you loved or highly recommend?

We didn't venture very far from the resort, but we thought Scott's Fish Market was very good. It's a short walk away, and they gave a discount if you were staying at HHI.

You'll get lots of responses, so be prepared. ;) Here are our favorites over the years:
Skull Creek Boathouse
On many peoples' favorites list, this place doesn't take reservations but is still worth the effort. You can go early which sometimes helps. You can sit inside at the bar and get the same menu. Or you can go on a waitlist when you arrive and hope it's not a long wait. We've had good success with all three. Very good, fresh seafood, including one of the top low country boils around. NOTE: There is also Skull Creek Dockside which sits right next to Boathouse and, yes, owned by the same company. However, they are two different restaurants and menu approaches. Dockside is a bit more upscale and we didn't find the service or food to be as good as Boathouse. Some people like it better; we don't. Dockside sits in what used to be a Chart House restaurant; whereas, Boathouse has the ambiance of a local joint which we enjoy much more.
Fish Camp on Broad Creek
Excellent seafood, nice wine list, and sits near the water at a dock. Service has been excellent. You can sit inside but I recommend eating outside where there are plentiful fans during warmer weather.
Hudson's on the Dock
A bit of a caveat here. The first couple of times we went, it was very good and very fresh seafood. The last time it seemed to have lost a step; however, that could have just been an off night. I suspect you'll find a lot of people mentioning it as a favorite. It has the feel of a local joint with no real aesthetic to it, sort of a diner feel. But, the food has been excellent in the past, and the ambiance actually adds to the experience.
Scott's Fish Market
I mention this one primarily because it sits just over the small bridge right there at the resort, less than a five-minute walk. It's not great but it's solid, though it does have one of the better crab cakes I've ever had (have lived in Maryland and Alaska for the record). Very convenient.
Ela's Blue Water Grill
Another five minutes down the marina from Scott's, it's about the same quality, perhaps a little better, and they definitely have a better wine list. Haven't been there in a couple of years, but we enjoyed it when we went.
Social Bakery
Sits right beside Scott's, but it's a pasty shop. However, they do have quiche and other savory items. Very freshly made items, especially sweets, and while good, they're also pricey. Worth grabbing a dessert there after eating at Scott's or Ela's and taking it back to the room.
OMBRA Cucina
An upscale Italian restaurant about a mile down the main road, and it sits in a small (albeit tony) strip mall. It consistently wins BEST OF awards for the dining experience and the head chef/owner Michael. It's not a snooty place, just upscale casual. They have some great, authentic dishes and an exemplary wine list.

Finally, and this applies only if you have a 1BR or 2BR suite and feel like cooking. Get your own fresh seafood and cook it in your room. Barnacle Bill's is a very good place to buy off the boat seafood, and if that's not an option, the nearby Kroger and Whole Foods would have what you need.

In addition to the above I would recommend Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe for breakfast and Salty Dog and Main Street Cafe for lunch or dinner. My Mother in Law and Sister in Law live there and these are some of the locals places to go

We just got back. We go every year. This year we went back to Alexander’s and Poseidon. Best meals there. Alexander’s has a good early dining menu for $20. I love their crab soup. Poseidon was probably our favorite meal this time. I get the surf and turf on the early dining menu every year. This year my DH tried it and was amazed. It’s only $18.50 and includes a soup or salad and a non-alcoholic drink. Again their crab soup is wonderful. What I also love about Poseidon is it’s close. In fact we walked to it. Its located in the Shelter Cove Town Centre (behind Kroger), and it’s nice to stroll over to Kilwins for desert. We tried Fishcamp on Broad Creek for the first time this year. We were not impressed. Food was ok, but we had terrible service. And lots of dogs around us since we sat outside. I know everyone is different but I don’t like eating with dogs by my feet. Of course we also had Giuseppis again this year. It’s our first night tradition and it was delicious as usual. We didn’t go to Skull Creek Boathouse this time but it’s one of my favorites. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Last year we enjoyed Alexanders and Jane's Bistro - both close by. There is a quirky place called The Studio - owned by artists who also cook and wait tables. My husband loved it, I was less impressed. Fish Camp was highly recommended, but even in the off season, we couldn't get reservations on short notice. But we also didn't try too hard because my husband isn't a fish guy.

Any of the Serg Group restaurants. The only exception is we do not like Poseidon.

We love the Sea Shack (go early for lunch as lines outside gets loooong)

Any of the Serg Group restaurants. The only exception is we do not like Poseidon.
Have to agree about Poseidon. I know many rave about it, but we went last March and were underwhelmed. Nice staff but disorganized. Their raw oysters were among the most "clean" at presentation which is nice. The ambiance (we sat inside as it was oppressively hot out) was okay but not terribly appealing. I also had the tuna poke, and it was not very good--it wasn't the freshest tuna I'd had, and the caramelized soy sauce was too heavy and cloying. Our experience there was fine, but it's simply not a place that where we'd return again soon.

We have been going to HHI every year for the last 6 years. Here is a list of places we have loved and make sure to go back to each year. Low Country Backyard, best grits and fried green tomatoes ever. Palmetto Bay Sunset Cafe, great for breakfast or brunch where all the locals go. Have gone for so many years we have made friends there. Jazz Corner for a nice evening out. Music is amazing. Jane right in Shelter Cove is always delicious. Holy Tequila for some great Mexican and un-intrusive live music. Charlies and Wise Guys are always a good choice. Michael's Cucina for a romantic evening of Italian food.

For Italian, we love Il Carpaccio. I'm told it is "northern" italian cuisine - I just know that I really love the food. The pizza is fantastic. Thin and perfect. The owner can be a little fussy, but we've decide that is part of the restaurant's charm. As well as the short, sometimes hard to figure out open hours. But we visit at least once, sometimes twice every trip.

I am so glad I found this post! My DBF and I are going for the first time this coming Valentines day for a long weekend. I've been looking through different restaurant's and their reviews, but reading everyone's reviews here is very helpful!
Thanks everyone!

I am so glad I found this post! My DBF and I are going for the first time this coming Valentines day for a long weekend. I've been looking through different restaurant's and their reviews, but reading everyone's reviews here is very helpful!
Thanks everyone!
Honestly, there are many quality places to eat on HHI. Look at the menus of those that seem to best fit your needs and desires, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. I saw your post on the HHI Lovers forum, so I won't post anything there since you found this more specific one. Cheers!

We love the Sea Shack (go early for lunch as lines outside gets loooong)

Yes on the Sea Shack and the lines. We go every November and the Sea Shack is the only one with long lines then.
In addition to the ones mentioned we also like Kenny B's (super casual like the Sea Shack), British Open Pub, and Old Oyster Factory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!