HHI LOVERS THREAD

Is parking available near the rooms or do you have to park in a main lot and walk?

The parking is spread out along the front of the resort, but unless you are in a building facing the marina or the main lodge, you're going to walk a little bit. The resort is pretty small, though. So it's not a long walk wherever you park. They have luggage carts spread out all over the resort, as well.

Last edited:
Is parking available near the rooms or do you have to park in a main lot and walk?
As mentioned above, there is no main parking lot, per se. If you're staying in the Live Oak Lodge building or building 13 which is right behind LOL, then there is underground parking with an elevator to take you up to your room (except Bldg 13). The rest of the resort has parking along the perimeter facing toward the Shelter Cove marina. The buildings closest to the marsh will be the longest walks, but also as previously mentioned, the resort is relatively small, so no long hikes anywhere. Besides, the theming and beauty of the resort will keep you engaged during your short walk. The luggage carts are squat wooden ones that are parked in 3-4 locations scattered throughout the resort, a couple of which are right there at the perimeter parking areas. This is such a relaxing resort and the perfect place for a laid back vacation. Enjoy!

We head out tomorrow for our first time at HHI! A few questions:

1) Are there sand toys to borrow or to purchase somewhere at the resort?
2) Are Disney Gift cards accepted as payment at the QS restaurants?
3) Are there DVD players in the rooms?
4) About what capacity are they enforcing at the pool?
5) How are the kitchen supplies in a 2 bedroom? Is there an ice cream scoop? Any paper towels?

5) How are the kitchen supplies in a 2 bedroom? Is there an ice cream scoop? Any paper towels?
I can help you with #2 and #3. Yes you can use a Disney GC at the QS locations as well as the Mercantile. And yes, there are DVD players in the rooms.

On way home today so I can answer a few questions- the gift shop onsite is tiny- I think they had a few sand toys to purchase but not much. There’s a Kroger down the road (you don’t even have to get on the main road, it’s in a shopping center just down from the resort) that has some beach stuff and most anything you need.
I don’t know about pool capacity- I saw signs that they have ready to put out saying pool capacity reached but they never actually had to put the signs out this week. Yesterday was pretty full with only open chairs by the kiddie pool but the chairs are all grouped 6 ft apart so didn’t ever feel crowded.
We had everything needed for kitchen supplies except they didn’t have a pizza cutter in there. Didn’t notice whether an ice cream scoop or not. They supplied plenty of paper towels and came for trash and towel service and gave us a bag of supplies- lotion, soaps, dish and laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels. They only had 2 plastic cups- all other are glass/mugs so I do wish I had brought cups for kids. I don’t know what housekeeping schedule they have- they came more than once and took trash only.

I agree with everything everyone else said! As for pool capacity, I'm not sure about exact numbers, but it might be based on family groups. As mentioned, there are groups of chairs spaced about 6 feet from each other. Each group had 2-4 chairs in it. I believe there were about 10-15 groups of chairs at the main pool and about 15-20 at the beach pool. So, I'm assuming that once each group is claimed, they would then have to limit entrance.

Here's a picture of sand toys from the Broad Creek Mercantile near the main pool. Not sure of prices.

We ended up getting to go on our trip. We checked out this morning. Quick report:
We rented bikes for the first time. It was so awesome to be able to ride around the island with great weather. We will be back in June and not sure if we will rent them then as it’s so hot.

We did a Kroger pickup and ate breakfasts and lunches in the room. We ended up going out to eat some for dinner. We ate outside only and very early like around 4-4:30. Here’s a quick run-down of the restaurants we went to.

Skull Creek Boathouse: I was surprised this wasn’t very crowded. We actually went thinking we would do take-out but since there were few people we decided to stay. We were seated in their new pavilion which was very nice. There were only two other groups in there when we arrived. The tables were spaced far apart. Probably the best social distancing of all the places we ate at. The food was amazing as usual. The only complaint I had was that our server had on a bandana instead of a mask.

Steamer Seafood: This is in a new location so we weren’t sure if they had outdoor seating. They did, so we decided to stay. The outdoor section was small. There were about three other groups, and I felt that the tables were a little close. Unfortunately, the tables were bolted to the ground so we couldn’t scoot farther away. I felt a little uncomfortable there, but that's coming from someone who hasn't eaten at a restaurant since February. The food was good as usual. Definitely try the shrimp cocktail if you want a little kick!

Poseidon: I love this place! We ate outside overlooking the marsh. I love their early bird menu, especially the surf and turf. There were several groups here, but we were very spaced out. Very good social distancing going on there.

Fishcamp at Broad Creek: This was the second time we have eaten here, and it will probably be our last. Both times we have gotten poor service. This time our meals were much better though. I loved my scallops and was able to sub the risotto for mashed potatoes. Please no flames, but we just can’t get over the fact that they allow dogs in their outdoor seating area. We love dogs, but we just don’t want to be around them when we’re eating. We've had this issue both times we've visited. This place was horrible for social distancing! We asked to be moved from the first table they sat us at, right by the bar and where everyone walked past. We were able to get a fairly isolated spot beside the fans. The fans probably made it safer for us, but not those seated around us. I know others have said their experiences were good as far as social distancing, but we thought their outdoor area had way too many people and would not recommend!

Other notes—We walked into the French Bakery in Shelter Cove one day around 9:00 a.m. and turned around and walked right out. No social distancing going on there at all. Very crowded. People packed together at the counter to order. Tables close together. Very scary! Also, the beach was more crowded than I've ever seen, and that's even compared to summer! Both times we went there to ride bikes or walk, we wore our masks, but we were the only ones on the entire beach who had masks (at least that we saw). We felt the most comfortable at the Disney resort and on the bike trails where you would meet/pass individuals briefly.

Hope this helps those who will be going soon.

We ended up getting to go on our trip. We checked out this morning. Quick report:
We rented bikes for the first time. It was so awesome to be able to ride around the island with great weather. We will be back in June and not sure if we will rent them then as it’s so hot.

Oh, yay! Good for you! Glad you guys were able to go, and it sounds like you had a nice time. Thanks for the rundown on all the food places. Our family likes to eat at the resort to get the full 'Disney experience', but it's nice to have some recommendations for when we are ready to branch out. I think you made some smart choices in terms of balancing social distancing, while still getting out to experience the island!

We did a Kroger pickup and ate breakfasts and lunches in the room. We ended up going out to eat some for dinner. We ate outside only and very early like around 4-4:30. Here’s a quick run-down of the restaurants we went to.

Skull Creek Boathouse: I was surprised this wasn’t very crowded. We actually went thinking we would do take-out but since there were few people we decided to stay. We were seated in their new pavilion which was very nice. There were only two other groups in there when we arrived. The tables were spaced far apart. Probably the best social distancing of all the places we ate at. The food was amazing as usual. The only complaint I had was that our server had on a bandana instead of a mask.

Steamer Seafood: This is in a new location so we weren’t sure if they had outdoor seating. They did, so we decided to stay. The outdoor section was small. There were about three other groups, and I felt that the tables were a little close. Unfortunately, the tables were bolted to the ground so we couldn’t scoot farther away. I felt a little uncomfortable there, but that's coming from someone who hasn't eaten at a restaurant since February. The food was good as usual. Definitely try the shrimp cocktail if you want a little kick!

Poseidon: I love this place! We ate outside overlooking the marsh. I love their early bird menu, especially the surf and turf. There were several groups here, but we were very spaced out. Very good social distancing going on there.

Fishcamp at Broad Creek: This was the second time we have eaten here, and it will probably be our last. Both times we have gotten poor service. This time our meals were much better though. I loved my scallops and was able to sub the risotto for mashed potatoes. Please no flames, but we just can’t get over the fact that they allow dogs in their outdoor seating area. We love dogs, but we just don’t want to be around them when we’re eating. We've had this issue both times we've visited. This place was horrible for social distancing! We asked to be moved from the first table they sat us at, right by the bar and where everyone walked past. We were able to get a fairly isolated spot beside the fans. The fans probably made it safer for us, but not those seated around us. I know others have said their experiences were good as far as social distancing, but we thought their outdoor area had way too many people and would not recommend!

Other notes—We walked into the French Bakery in Shelter Cove one day around 9:00 a.m. and turned around and walked right out. No social distancing going on there at all. Very crowded. People packed together at the counter to order. Tables close together. Very scary! Also, the beach was more crowded than I've ever seen, and that's even compared to summer! Both times we went there to ride bikes or walk, we wore our masks, but we were the only ones on the entire beach who had masks (at least that we saw). We felt the most comfortable at the Disney resort and on the bike trails where you would meet/pass individuals briefly.

Why would anyone wear masks on a beach? Pure theater.

Why would anyone wear masks on a beach? Pure theater.
Well we didn’t do it to be dramatic. We are probably the least dramatic people you would meet. The reason we decided to keep them on is because we were less than six feet away from MANY people. Plus I have read about the sea spray carrying the virus a good distance. My DH is high-risk, so why would we take that chance? It really wasn’t a big deal to keep them on.

So glad for you that you got to go.
Thanks for your reports, especially about Skullcreek and Poseidon, 2 of our favorites. I'd thought I'd read that Poseidon was currently closed-glad that's not true!

So glad for you that you got to go.
Thanks for your reports, especially about Skullcreek and Poseidon, 2 of our favorites. I'd thought I'd read that Poseidon was currently closed-glad that's not true!
Those are our favorites, too! I forgot to mention we also got takeout bbq at One Hot Mamma's, and I got to meet Orchid. I love that place!!!

Just a couple things to add - you can pay with gift card but we found it easier to just pay everywhere with our room key and then the night before we left I went to customer service and gave them our gift cards.
we had a two bedroom and bought our own ice cream but I think we just used a spoon to dish it. There were plenty of paper towels. If you feel like you are missing anything I would just ask the front desk.
they don’t provide beach toys but ask at the pool and they will see if anyone has left any behind - they had a boogie board for us to use!
we loved all the room in the two bedroom I think we are spoiled now!

We just returned from HHI yesterday. Had a great time! I said I would report back on our food experiences since my son has Gluten and Dairy food allergies, so here is a short trip report.

We were in a 2 bedroom and planned to do several meals and snacks in our room. We made an order for Kroger Pick Up. Honestly, that was a disaster! At home, our Kroger sends us a text with options for substitutions if they are needed. I got nothing, so I assumed everything was good to go. When we got there, we were given a handout. There was an entire page of items that they didn't even try to substitute anything. Then, there were all kind of substitutions that weren't safe for my son's allergies. I had to give a bunch of things back and just go into the store to finish our shopping. We would've been way better off to skip the pick up. The store was completely picked over. Entire shelves completely bare. This was a Sunday. By Wednesday, when we stopped back in for just a couple of items, things looked much better stocked. My advice would be to stay away from shopping on the weekends if you can.

Tide Me Over- Open only from 8-4 daily. They were good to accommodate my son's allergies, but the entire menu is pretty limited. He did Mickey Waffles and bacon a few mornings, but got pretty tired of the offerings and mostly did breakfast in the room. He had a burger, hotdog and fries a few times, but again got pretty tired of that. Mostly, he just went for Dole Whips. I had the Mahi sandwich a couple of times. It was good, but couldn't compare to the Grilled Grouper Sandwich I got at the Sea Shack off property.

Side note: The Sea Shack is definitely not a place to accommodate food allergies, but I do highly recommend their food. Great prices. Takeout only or dine at a few tables set up in the parking lot. Be prepared to stand in line for awhile or call many times to try to get through to make a to-go order. Only open fro 11-3 and 5-9 Mon-Sat. Definitely a popular place with locals and tourists alike!

Signals: Basically the exact same menu as Tide Me Over. You have to order from the bar at the pool. Very limited hours of 11-3 daily. They were having "technical difficulties" in the kitchen one day we were there and were only serving drinks, Dole Whips and Mickey Pretzels.

Overall, it's a great resort! We definitely want to return. It's kind of great to have the Disney touches without actually being at WDW. We found the resort to be pretty quiet and very relaxing. We tried to go to the pool early or late but it never seemed super crowded at any point during the day while we were there. The beach was very nice. We enjoyed the packed sand, making it easy to walk on. The water temperature was still very swimmable for us. 30% off everything in the gift shop and 10% off food at Tide Me Over and Signals was a great perk too for DVC members. We didn't do any of the activities besides Bingo at the Pool, but they have several things going on throughout the day, despite all the limitations due to COVID.

We went on this trip because we needed to use points before they expired and didn't feel comfortable going to the parks at WDW. It turned out to exceed our expectations. We definitely want to go back! Disney's HHI is definitely a special place!

We have a 4 day trip booked in November in a 2 bedroom (regular reservations, not dvc).
Would it cost extra to add two adults and two babies to our reservation?
Currently only have 2 adults booked into room.

Are masks heavily enforced for 2 year olds around the resort like they are at the parks?

Are 2 bedrooms likely to be on the first floor?

We have a 4 day trip booked in November in a 2 bedroom (regular reservations, not dvc).
Would it cost extra to add two adults and two babies to our reservation?
Currently only have 2 adults booked into room.

Are masks heavily enforced for 2 year olds around the resort like they are at the parks?

Are 2 bedrooms likely to be on the first floor?

For a two bedroom, I don't think that addition will put you over the maximum (cost extra). I can't help you with mask enforcement for 2 year olds-we're going in November, also.
About half of the 2 BRs are first floor.

Although we didn't travel with young children, I would say masks were enforced for all ages. You generally do not need to wear them in your own villa, on your balcony, or around the pool area. Staff will remind you if they see you without one. I suspect it could be hard to estimate a child's age, so I'm not sure if they would ask or not. I personally didn't see any young children without one, but we only saw most people at the pool anyway. Again, slipping into your villa, or the pool area, or leaving the resort (like for a walk on the beach) are a few ways to take a break from mask-wearing. I wouldn't stress too much about it, and I hope you have fun on your trip!

We had a nice, albeit short (just an overnight) stay at Hilton Head on our way home at the beginning of this week.

We arrived mid-afternoon and checked-in. Relaxed on the balcony enjoying the view for a little while and then headed over to Poseidon for dinner (delicious crab cake appetizer!).

We explored the resort some more in the morning and before getting on the road, we drove down to see the lighthouse.

We saw two gators in people's backyards. One was smaller (3-4 feet) and I was able to pull over on the side of the road and get a picture of him.

535351 535352

The other was about 6 feet long (maybe more), but there was no place to stop for a picture.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!