HHI LOVERS THREAD

Not a whole lot of bars in Shelter Cove marina. We've been partaking in the happy hours there. Really only a couple of places at the marina.

I agree. We do enjoy going to Shelter Cove though and usually have dinner. Will start packing this weekend.
Yey!

Hi HHI lovers!

We had 5 day Carnival Cruise planned with 3 days at Disney after in March 2020. Welllll, Carnival just told us our ship will be drydocked instead and we got cancelled. So, we are now onto Plan B. TBH, I like Plan B better! :)

We would like to do HH in a Studio or 1 bedroom (depending on 7 month window availability).

I was hoping you pros had some tips and advice for us.

First, will it be difficult to get at 7 mo. for March 21-28 when Easter isn't until April 12th? It looks available right now, but I have to wait another 3 weeks almost until my window opens. :(

Second, we've never been, so will we find enough to do for a full week? We do want to travel to Savannah at least one day, as well as explore "non-touristy" SC as we are considering moving to the Carolinas in about 5 years when our daughter goes to college. We HATE Illinois and want to get the heck out! :)

I love the idea of Low Country. I want to go "crabbing" or whatever else you do down there! LOL Is "Clamming" a thing?? Ha!

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!!!

Hi HHI lovers!

We had 5 day Carnival Cruise planned with 3 days at Disney after in March 2020. Welllll, Carnival just told us our ship will be drydocked instead and we got cancelled. So, we are now onto Plan B. TBH, I like Plan B better! :)

We would like to do HH in a Studio or 1 bedroom (depending on 7 month window availability).

First, will it be difficult to get at 7 mo. for March 21-28 when Easter isn't until April 12th? It looks available right now, but I have to wait another 3 weeks almost until my window opens. :(

Second, we've never been, so will we find enough to do for a full week? We do want to travel to Savannah at least one day, as well as explore "non-touristy" SC as we are considering moving to the Carolinas in about 5 years when our daughter goes to college. We HATE Illinois and want to get the heck out! :)

I love the idea of Low Country. I want to go "crabbing" or whatever else you do down there! LOL Is "Clamming" a thing?? Ha!

I think you will be fine with booking on those dates at 7 months.
HHI is different from Disney. Think relaxing , not doing.
I have owned at HHI since 1996 and raised and lived in Carolinas most of life.
Walk on beach, water will be cold then but pool is heated.
Sit in hammocks and read. Sit at sunset point with drink and watch sunset.
Walk over to Shelter Cove.
Day trip to Savannah or Charleston
Too early in season for crabbing.
Usually oysters , not clams in low country. Try an oyster roast
Lot of great restaurants.
This is where the pro golfers and family go to relax after Masters.

All great ideas! As mentioned, there are tons of restaurants ranging from fresh seafood to topnotch Italian to BBQ. The resort is a three-minute walk to Shelter Cove over a short bridge, and there are plenty of places there to eat and shop. The best thing about the resort is the unparalleled friendliness of the CMs--they're the best anywhere. As badeacon says, the main focus of this resort is relaxation and reducing the hustle and bustle in your lives. You need minimal planning here, and you will not have Disney in your face 24/7. I would opt for a 1BR since you'll have extra space and, more importantly, a full kitchen. Go find fresh seafood--whatever the season allows--and cook it in your room. We do it every time we go. Barnacle Bill's is nearby, and if you need to supplement what he has, then the Kroger in the even closer shopping center has a decent selection, too.

I'm also a 1 BR fan at HHI, even though there's just two of us. After several times in a 1 BR, we rented a studio because of a points shortage, and I spent the entire trip being the spoiled brat who found disadvantages with a studio. For example, I like ice in my cold drinks, yet there's only one ice machine in the entire resort and it's next to the main building. And, you know, they don't have that "cute" little entry way with the bench and post hangers.

Hi HHI lovers!

We went in March, and it wasnt hot, but it was warmer than Illinois, where we are from, as well! We really enjoyed taking a dolphin tour, and of course, golfing. Also, there’s a nice outlet mall in Bluffton, which is non-touristy SC. ;)

I just returned from a weeks stay at DHHIR. Let me for warn vacationers, this resort is in dire need of a TOTAL rehab, not just soft goods. Disney should be ashamed of itself. Definitely not what one would expect as a “Disney” resort. We will not be returning.

I just returned from a weeks stay at DHHIR. Let me for warn vacationers, this resort is in dire need of a TOTAL rehab, not just soft goods. Disney should be ashamed of itself. Definitely not what one would expect as a “Disney” resort. We will not be returning.

Wow really? That is the first time I've heard anything like this from someone. Was it your room? the Cast Members? What happened?

I'm at HHI Disney Resort now and disagree with earlier poster about resort being in bad shape. Yes, the furniture shows some wear....all visitor caused. For example, the lovely wooden table in our GV looks like someone poured solvent (finger nail polish remover?) over it. The chairs show some signs of being banged into the walls/table etc. Things like that. It is unfortunate that people do not treat the resort as they would treat their own home. But the public amenities are very nice.

I'm at HHI Disney Resort now and disagree with earlier poster about resort being in bad shape. Yes, the furniture shows some wear....all visitor caused. For example, the lovely wooden table in our GV looks like someone poured solvent (finger nail polish remover?) over it. The chairs show some signs of being banged into the walls/table etc. Things like that. It is unfortunate that people do not treat the resort as they would treat their own home. But the public amenities are very nice.
Exactly. It needs a total rehab. This is not what Disney standards are about.
VGF, Copper Creek, AKV do not look anything close to this condition. It’s all about Disney keeping up the maintenance. They are not getting a pass from me.

I think Disney made a mistake putting nice wooden furniture in units....thinking that guests would treat like they would home. Need to put more indestructible tables, chairs, etc. Of course, then guests will complain that the furniture usnts refined enough.

Exactly. It needs a total rehab. This is not what Disney standards are about.
VGF, Copper Creek, AKV do not look anything close to this condition. It’s all about Disney keeping up the maintenance. They are not getting a pass from me.
No offense, but Disney cannot keep up with the amount of disrespect/abuse that happens in rooms. Yes, things may need to be done, but I don't let that affect my view on the overall resort. And you can't compare a resort that old to 3 new ones. I'm sure it's on their radar to upgrade.

Thanks so much for your info! I'm very excited to try it out!

No offense, but Disney cannot keep up with the amount of disrespect/abuse that happens in rooms. Yes, things may need to be done, but I don't let that affect my view on the overall resort. And you can't compare a resort that old to 3 new ones. I'm sure it's on their radar to upgrade.
No offense taken. These conditions have been in place for some time now. Yes, absolutely Disney can and should keep up with maintenance.

We haven’t been back to HHI since May of 16, had such a great vaca in a 2BR. Really looking forward to our upcoming mid September vaca on way down to WDW... will be interesting to observe the condition of the rooms.

I thought this was the HHI lovers thread. :offtopic:

:joker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!