HHI LOVERS THREAD

I also agree with sleepydog25. HHI is an amazing place! We much prefer it to WDW. In fact, my DS24 and DS22 have told me they want to go to HHI every other year instead of WDW. So our plans are to take the whole family every other year (will probably stay in a 2-BR and a studio rather than a GV to save points--would love to hear people's opinions on this) and then to go to WDW sporadically. WDW has just gotten too expensive--and I'm even saying that after a 9.58% increase in HHI dues. Of course, DH and I will still go to HHI on the years we don't take the whole family, staying somewhere else since we now don't want to add on points. (Anyone stay in Captain's Quarters?) We are seriously considering skipping WDW next year to go to HHI twice!

I also agree with sleepydog25. HHI is an amazing place! We much prefer it to WDW. In fact, my DS24 and DS22 have told me they want to go to HHI every other year instead of WDW. So our plans are to take the whole family every other year (will probably stay in a 2-BR and a studio rather than a GV to save points--would love to hear people's opinions on this) and then to go to WDW sporadically. WDW has just gotten too expensive--and I'm even saying that after a 9.58% increase in HHI dues. Of course, DH and I will still go to HHI on the years we don't take the whole family, staying somewhere else since we now don't want to add on points. (Anyone stay in Captain's Quarters?) We are seriously considering skipping WDW next year to go to HHI twice!
Isn't it strange how much more HHI feels like the old Disney vacations used to? As you say, it's gotten expensive and very complicated to vacation at the parks. The obvious advantage to the GVs is that everyone is together and you occupy a full space reducing the aspect of noisy neighbors. You run a slight risk of more noise with the 2BR/studio combo pack, but if you prefer a little more privacy that such an arrangement provides, then why not? And, yes, the point savings is significant.

We've not stayed at Captain's Quarters, but we did stay in one of the Harbor Side condos--it was old and dated but had a great location near Scott's. The downside to a unit that close the Shelter Cove restaurant scene is that late night party goers can be annoying. Captain's Quarters is much farther out so I'm assuming wouldn't face that issue as much. We've also stayed in Palmetto Dunes (St. Andrews Common) and preferred that over Harbor Side. Nicer apartment, updated kitchen, and close to the beach. Overall, though, being at HHI anywhere is better than not being there. pirate:

Disney HHI may have been one of our favorite vacations. I am surprised that they had so many activities going on during COVID.

It sounds like the DVC resorts at WDW may not have activities going yet. I know this is off topic, but does anyone know?

Isn't it strange how much more HHI feels like the old Disney vacations used to? As you say, it's gotten expensive and very complicated to vacation at the parks. The obvious advantage to the GVs is that everyone is together and you occupy a full space reducing the aspect of noisy neighbors. You run a slight risk of more noise with the 2BR/studio combo pack, but if you prefer a little more privacy that such an arrangement provides, then why not? And, yes, the point savings is significant.

We've not stayed at Captain's Quarters, but we did stay in one of the Harbor Side condos--it was old and dated but had a great location near Scott's. The downside to a unit that close the Shelter Cove restaurant scene is that late night party goers can be annoying. Captain's Quarters is much farther out so I'm assuming wouldn't face that issue as much. We've also stayed in Palmetto Dunes (St. Andrews Common) and preferred that over Harbor Side. Nicer apartment, updated kitchen, and close to the beach. Overall, though, being at HHI anywhere is better than not being there. pirate:
I definitely love how uncomplicated a HHI trip can be!

I think we would love a GV (even though we like doing 3 studios at WDW), but it's so many more points! We probably will need to add on some more just to go every other year, but we will have to add on double to get the GV. We just aren't sure we want to do that since the dues increase. Also, I'm always afraid they will change the point charts to lower the weekends and raise the weekdays. We are a Sunday-Thursday family, so this would affect how many points we would need to add on. Adding on 50 would give us 300 every other year. Staying the first week of June or Fall Break would require 295 for a GV. That would be totally disrupted with a point chart change, so we would probably need to look at adding on at least 60. If we add on 30, we could get a 2-BR and a studio and still have 25 points leftover. This would also allow for a 10% increase in weekday points.

Yes, the noise issues at the Disney resort can be bothersome. I can see how a GV would help with that. (Actually now that I think about it, is there a problem with noise from the 2nd floor of a GV? I know the master bedroom is right under one of the other bedrooms.)

I have looked at Harbourside. The thing I think that bothers me the most about it is that the sidewalk is right in front of it. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, and it seems there wouldn't be as much privacy there. I also did wonder about the noise. That's why Captain's Quarters looked appealing. Nothing but marsh in front of the balcony (although I wish there were more shade trees), and it's more secluded from the restaurants and shops (but still close enough to enjoy). We also like that the Disney resort is small. Captain's Quarters is only two buildings, so that makes it more appealing to us. I would love to hear from someone who has stayed there, but since it's so small, there's probably less people here on the disboards that have a first-hand experience.

Last edited:

we stayed at HH for the first time in January. We were in a room near the marina. We’ve never stayed in the lodge, though requested it. How is the lodge studios different than the other studios, balcony?. I tried searching for pictures, with no luck. I read a few pages, and apologize that I did not read all 36 pages. My daughter and her family are staying here in a studio in June and I’m looking for the answer before she asks me. Tks!

I definitely love how uncomplicated a HHI trip can be!

I think we would love a GV (even though we like doing 3 studios at WDW), but it's so many more points! We probably will need to add on some more just to go every other year, but we will have to add on double to get the GV. We just aren't sure we want to do that since the dues increase. Also, I'm always afraid they will change the point charts to lower the weekends and raise the weekdays. We are a Sunday-Thursday family, so this would affect how many points we would need to add on. Adding on 50 would give us 300 every other year. Staying the first week of June or Fall Break would require 295 for a GV. That would be totally disrupted with a point chart change, so we would probably need to look at adding on at least 60. If we add on 30, we could get a 2-BR and a studio and still have 25 points leftover. This would also allow for a 10% increase in weekday points.

Yes, the noise issues at the Disney resort can be bothersome. I can see how a GV would help with that. (Actually now that I think about it, is there a problem with noise from the 2nd floor of a GV? I know the master bedroom is right under one of the other bedrooms.)

I have looked at Harbourside. The thing I think that bothers me the most about it is that the sidewalk is right in front of it. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, and it seems there wouldn't be as much privacy there. I also did wonder about the noise. That's why Captain's Quarters looked appealing. Nothing but marsh in front of the balcony (although I wish there were more shade trees), and it's more secluded from the restaurants and shops (but still close enough to enjoy). We also like that the Disney resort is small. Captain's Quarters is only two buildings, so that makes it more appealing to us. I would love to hear from someone who has stayed there, but since it's so small, there's probably less people here on the disboards that have a first-hand experience.
It sounds as though buying the extra points for the 2BR/studio combo is the right way to go for you. Best of luck! As for Captain's Quarters, I have a good friend from my old stomping grounds who stays there each year, and she likes it a great deal for the reasons you suggest: quieter, still close to Shelter Cove restaurants, smaller, and the views are better.

we stayed at HH for the first time in January. We were in a room near the marina. We’ve never stayed in the lodge, though requested it. How is the lodge studios different than the other studios, balcony?. I tried searching for pictures, with no luck. I read a few pages, and apologize that I did not read all 36 pages. My daughter and her family are staying here in a studio in June and I’m looking for the answer before she asks me. Tks!
The studios in the Lodge (Bldgs 11/12) mostly look over the marsh and/or Broad Creek, though a few have somewhat obstructed views due to trees and Bldg 13 which sits just behind the main Lodge. It is also the only area that has an elevator if that's important to you.

It sounds as though buying the extra points for the 2BR/studio combo is the right way to go for you. Best of luck! As for Captain's Quarters, I have a good friend from my old stomping grounds who stays there each year, and she likes it a great deal for the reasons you suggest: quieter, still close to Shelter Cove restaurants, smaller, and the views are better.
Thanks for the information about Captain's Quarters! I think this place will be ideal for my DH and me. As far as our family trips at the Disney resort, I'm wondering if maybe just a 25 point add-on would work if we went every other year and then skipped a year at some point (leaving two years between trips). Hmmm. Guess I need to do some more figuring.

On a side note, if we can do a GV, how hard would it be to get one the first week of June without walking? We have a June UY, so we wouldn't be able to start a walk until June 1.

Last edited:

On a side note, if we can do a GV, how hard would it be to get one the first week of June without walking? We have a June UY, so we wouldn't be able to start a walk until June 1.
Truthfully, I can't speak from experience re: walking a GV; however, I do know that it's one of the toughest gets as there are only 5 of them, and summer months are extremely popular. Perhaps someone else on here has attempted in the past and will comment.

How difficult is it to get HHI reservations if your home resort is somewhere else? My family are currently not DVC members, but are strongly considering buying in. We have stayed at HHI a few times, as cash guests, and loved it. That said, it is exceedingly difficult to find availability ANY time paying cash. If we buy into DVC we don’t necessarily want HHI to be our home resort. If we buy somewhere else, is it realistic to expect to be able to stay at HHI from time to time?

How difficult is it to get HHI reservations if your home resort is somewhere else? My family are currently not DVC members, but are strongly considering buying in. We have stayed at HHI a few times, as cash guests, and loved it. That said, it is exceedingly difficult to find availability ANY time paying cash. If we buy into DVC we don’t necessarily want HHI to be our home resort. If we buy somewhere else, is it realistic to expect to be able to stay at HHI from time to time?

If you want to stay at HHI during the summer or a holiday period, that 11 month window makes a big difference But if you're thinking of off season, especially January or February, no problem!

Random question at 0100 in the morning...does HH have a business center? My son will be virtual schooling during our visit. We will have to print some things. I could bring a printer, but I would really prefer not to. I don’t want to have to go off property to do so either. I know I could call, but while I was browsing the thread and thinking of it, I figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.

Random question at 0100 in the morning...does HH have a business center? My son will be virtual schooling during our visit. We will have to print some things. I could bring a printer, but I would really prefer not to. I don’t want to have to go off property to do so either. I know I could call, but while I was browsing the thread and thinking of it, I figured I would ask. Thanks in advance.
While the resort doesn't have an actual business center, they can offer you an email address to send whatever you need printed, and then you pick up the requested pages at the front desk. Just inquire about the email address when you check in.

As of a couple of years ago, they did not. My wife had some paperwork to handle for work and we ended up going to the local public library to print and make copies.

Quick question- we have a studio for a week (2 adults, 2 children). Wanted to conserve points— still a recommended vacay?
If so, is there a building/view request that you would recommend?

And why disney HH vs another place (my friend is strongly suggesting sea pines?). Thx!!!

Quick question- we have a studio for a week (2 adults, 2 children). Wanted to conserve points— still a recommended vacay?
If so, is there a building/view request that you would recommend?

And why disney HH vs another place (my friend is strongly suggesting sea pines?). Thx!!!
Regarding the studio, only you can answer whether it's worth it to stay in one with two kids for a week. pirate: Seriously, if you're looking for the Disney experience, it definitely resonates throughout the resort, though in smaller ways: hidden Mickeys, theming, music, and the small mercantile is full of Disney merchandise. The CMs are the best you'll find anywhere, as well. As for the view, request a marsh view. Nearly all the studios are in the main Live Oak Lodge building, and most have some sort of view of the marsh. As I posted a few notes above, there are only 21 studios, 16 of which are in the Lodge building. The other 5 are in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, 30. I believe only the one in building 18 faces the marsh. In all of those extant locations, however, the studios sit beneath a GV, so you will have someone above you.

Why DHHIR? First, and most obvious, you have points which are a sunk cost. If you stay at Sea Pines, I'm assuming you'd have to pay out of pocket. Sea Pines is a lovely part of the island, no doubt, but I don't know much about the rentals there. Second, staying at DHHIR gives you access to the main resort and its pool, hot tub, gift shop, Tide Me Over (fresh Mickey waffles!), and a plethora of activities. You also can walk, bike, drive, or take the free Disney shuttle to the Beach House which sits right on the beach and has its own pool and small snack bar. You would not be able to enter the resort if you stay off property due to current COVID-19 restrictions.

Hope this helps your thinking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter