HHI LOVERS THREAD

Chilly down here yesterday, today, and into tomorrow for those visiting during that time. After that, more typical fall-like temps with lows in the mid-60s overnight and highs in the mid-70s. Woke up this morning to 40F. Overnight, could smell the smoke from fireplaces in the Grand Villas. New pool hours, as well: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m., and the Beach House is 9 - 5.

Here at HH now and having a wonderful time. I noticed that a neighbor in my building has a grill on their balcony. I didn’t realize that was allowed. Not that I would drag a grill along with me as my car is usually packed to the rim anyway!

Here at HH now and having a wonderful time. I noticed that a neighbor in my building has a grill on their balcony. I didn’t realize that was allowed. Not that I would drag a grill along with me as my car is usually packed to the rim anyway!
That can't be allowed!!

We are heading there this week, does the resort happen to have any Holiday Decorations up?

That can't be allowed!!

We are heading there this week, does the resort happen to have any Holiday Decorations up?

I can’t imagine that’s allowed either, but my building is in a pretty conspicuous location so I can’t imagine that some CM’s haven’t seen it.

No holiday decorations yet. We are leaving Tuesday morning. At the Shelter Cove marina there is a Christmas tree up and the King Neptune statue is wearing a Santa hat. At least I think that is Neptune!

No holiday decorations yet. We are leaving Tuesday morning. At the Shelter Cove marina there is a Christmas tree up and the King Neptune statue is wearing a Santa hat. At least I think that is Neptune!

Yup, that's King Neptune alright. We always look for that statue and the Santa hat when we first drive in. We'll be there 11/20. The decorations are always up now when we get there, the weekend before Thanksgiving. It used to be that the weekend after Thanksgiving was when they decorated, but like everywhere else, Christmas decorating is earlier every year, it seems.

49 days until we arrive. Anyone know if night time events are returning yet?
If you mean the campfire at the resort or concerts at Shelter Cove and the like, then the answer is "no." There may be some uniquely holiday events at some point; however, nothing of note is happening or appearing on any guides.

If you mean the campfire at the resort or concerts at Shelter Cove and the like, then the answer is "no." There may be some uniquely holiday events at some point; however, nothing of note is happening or appearing on any guides.
Thanks for the heads up!

My family loves all things Disney and DVC has allowed us to take this love to a new level.

We thought using points in any way not WDW related was a waste ....... until we started going to the DVC property in Hilton Head.

The property is Disney through and through. Great location, big rooms, the Beach House and simply the best cast members Disney has to offer. The area offers so much to do and the food; oh my, the food.

We began allotting part of our points each year for HHI, until recently when we added a new home resort.

What things continue to make you want to go time after time?
Thank you for this!!
We booked a studio for end of March and worry we are wasting points but your post made me feel better....

is it THAT much fun at HHI??

Thank you for this!!
We booked a studio for end of March and worry we are wasting points but your post made me feel better....

is it THAT much fun at HHI??
As I often tell others, HHI isn't your typical Disney vacation at the World. There are no theme parks, no rides, no character greets (currently), no Disney dining beyond quick service. If that type of experience excites you, then HHI may be a disappointment.

However, the flip side to that view is what makes a vacation here so compelling and enjoyable. A trip here means r-e-l-a-x-a-t-i-o-n. There is what we call the low country vibe which means kicking back and enjoying your surroundings: the beauty of the resort and surrounding area, the beach, the food, the ability to simply breath without rushing around worrying over boarding passes, theme park tickets, waiting in lines, or trying to secure dining reservations 180 days out. Just. . .no.

A typical day might be to sleep in a bit: make coffee in your room (we prefer walking 6-8 minutes to the nearby Starbucks along the biking/walking path): sit on your balcony and watch the marsh wildlife; walk over to Tide Me Over and order fresh Mickey waffles; drive/bike/take shuttle over to the Beach House and spend time on the beach or at the pool there; come back to the main resort and make a tie-dyed t-shirt; grab lunch at any number of nearby spots or from Tide Me Over; play corn hole, horseshoes, or bocci ball by checking out the equipment from the recreation staff; relax at the pool with an adult libation (Dole whip w/rum); sit in the hot tub and talk; read a book in your pool chair or on your balcony; decide where to eat at some point in the afternoon and either make a reservation or just show up; take a final walk around the resort and sit in Adirondack chairs watching the sunset; sit on your balcony as the night sounds fill your senses and tell you it's time to sleep.

In other words, a vacation here is time to reconnect with your family, your spouse, yourself. There are places to visit in and around HHI--tours, kayaking, fishing, crabbing (the last two you can do off the pier at the resort), and miniature golf. Day trips to Savannah or even Charleston. Riding bikes is huge in HHI as it's mostly flat, paved, and the trails run throughout the entire island including going under the main thoroughfare so that it's easy to bike over to the Beach House (1.5 miles away). If you have the ability to cook in your room, plenty of places to shop. Kroger has a huge store and is a 10-minute walk or 3-minute drive, and you don't even have to get on the main drag. If you wish to venture out a little, go to Barnacle Bill's (2 miles) or Bennie Hudson's fresh seafood (8 miles) to get lots of fresh, local options such as shrimp, red snapper, et. al.

As for restaurants, you have your choice of literally hundreds of places from seafood, to BBQ, to pizza, to burgers, to upscale dining in a casual atmosphere. There is something for everyone's tastes, and you'll get dozens of recommendations if you ever ask for people's favorites. Certainly, if you have someone who loves shopping, the Tanger Outlet malls are a mere 20 minutes away in Bluffton (you drive right by them on the way to HHI). Coligney Plaza is a cute little spot, and it's a 10-15 minute drive depending on traffic.

Any way you shape it, a vacation here in HHI means kicking off your shoes, taking a deep breath, and letting the concerns and trials of every day living melt away for a few days. Enjoy your visit!

As I often tell others, HHI isn't your typical Disney vacation at the World. There are no theme parks, no rides, no character greets (currently), no Disney dining beyond quick service. If that type of experience excites you, then HHI may be a disappointment.

However, the flip side to that view is what makes a vacation here so compelling and enjoyable. A trip here means r-e-l-a-x-a-t-i-o-n. There is what we call the low country vibe which means kicking back and enjoying your surroundings: the beauty of the resort and surrounding area, the beach, the food, the ability to simply breath without rushing around worrying over boarding passes, theme park tickets, waiting in lines, or trying to secure dining reservations 180 days out. Just. . .no.

A typical day might be to sleep in a bit: make coffee in your room (we prefer walking 6-8 minutes to the nearby Starbucks along the biking/walking path): sit on your balcony and watch the marsh wildlife; walk over to Tide Me Over and order fresh Mickey waffles; drive/bike/take shuttle over to the Beach House and spend time on the beach or at the pool there; come back to the main resort and make a tie-dyed t-shirt; grab lunch at any number of nearby spots or from Tide Me Over; play corn hole, horseshoes, or bocci ball by checking out the equipment from the recreation staff; relax at the pool with an adult libation (Dole whip w/rum); sit in the hot tub and talk; read a book in your pool chair or on your balcony; decide where to eat at some point in the afternoon and either make a reservation or just show up; take a final walk around the resort and sit in Adirondack chairs watching the sunset; sit on your balcony as the night sounds fill your senses and tell you it's time to sleep.

In other words, a vacation here is time to reconnect with your family, your spouse, yourself. There are places to visit in and around HHI--tours, kayaking, fishing, crabbing (the last two you can do off the pier at the resort), and miniature golf. Day trips to Savannah or even Charleston. Riding bikes is huge in HHI as it's mostly flat, paved, and the trails run throughout the entire island including going under the main thoroughfare so that it's easy to bike over to the Beach House (1.5 miles away). If you have the ability to cook in your room, plenty of places to shop. Kroger has a huge store and is a 10-minute walk or 3-minute drive, and you don't even have to get on the main drag. If you wish to venture out a little, go to Barnacle Bill's (2 miles) or Bennie Hudson's fresh seafood (8 miles) to get lots of fresh, local options such as shrimp, red snapper, et. al.

As for restaurants, you have your choice of literally hundreds of places from seafood, to BBQ, to pizza, to burgers, to upscale dining in a casual atmosphere. There is something for everyone's tastes, and you'll get dozens of recommendations if you ever ask for people's favorites. Certainly, if you have someone who loves shopping, the Tanger Outlet malls are a mere 20 minutes away in Bluffton (you drive right by them on the way to HHI). Coligney Plaza is a cute little spot, and it's a 10-15 minute drive depending on traffic.

Any way you shape it, a vacation here in HHI means kicking off your shoes, taking a deep breath, and letting the concerns and trials of every day living melt away for a few days. Enjoy your visit!
Wow - you should be in advertising. 😀

We saw this too! Seemed unlikely that it was allowed.

I agree with EVERYTHING Sleepydog25 said. We just spent 9 nights in Hilton Head, the last two at Disney’s resort. It’s hard to compare the two accommodations though as we went from a 4BR/3BR, 5th row ocean home with a private pool and spa to a one bedroom one bathroom villa. I’ve learned that though my kids (all boys) don’t mind sharing space - I kinda do now that they’ve grown! 🤣

I was told at check in that the resort has been operating at near 100% occupancy since they’ve reopened - yet it never seemed crowded. Disney enforced masks even outside; as far as the rest of Hilton Head most people only wore them in stores and restaurants. Though we did also wear them in the area around and inside the HHI lighthouse in Sea Pines. It’s not crowded this time of year so we’d often be the only ones on the bike path and people at the beach were more than 100 yards away. We never felt unsafe.

I didn’t realize how few 1 bedrooms (and studios) there were and that increased my likelihood of a lodge room. Yes, the balcony was huge but I’m not a fan of HA showers and we didn’t need the elevator. I much would have preferred to be closer to Tide Me Over and the pool. The resort was very clean but as others posted the refurb is definitely needed for updating in a couple years.

The main pool was cold. Hubby overheard they had run out of propane for heating. Hopefully they remedy that for y’all. I’ve included the activity sheets. It appears the nature programs are over for the season as they didn’t exist on the newer schedule.

The $75 offer with free $10 dining card can be done more than once. We used it twice for $150 and got two $10 promo cards. Be careful though as the free promo cards do expire in 45 days. (The $75 merchandise one - includes food and ice cream in the shop - doesn’t have an expiration date). We used one at Tide Me Over and one at Surfmen’s Sandbar at the beach house. The Mahi sandwich with sweet potato fries at Sandbar is one of the best things we ate all week. 😋

My son with food allergies only ate breakfast at the quick serve as we had plenty of leftover food from our house for him. I was quite happy that the same protocol was followed with allergy menus, marked separately and in his case a different mix was definitely used for his waffles.

We will return - not sure when - but definitely one day! Mickey waffles and Mickey ice cream without going all the way to Florida - yes please.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!