HHI LOVERS THREAD

A sunrise bike ride and beach walk is a great way to enjoy but avoid crowds. Could even have breakfast at the main pool when it opens at 9.

Did HH remove coffee makers also because of Covid? Can someone refresh my memory, what type of coffee maker do they have, probably not a Keurig correct? Never really paid attention, used to get coffee by the check in with my refillable mug.

Sante Fe Cafe has been the best with COVID protection - tables far apart, contactless menu, servers masked.
Thank you! I had Poseidon booked but read that the SERG group restaurants do not mask. This is important to us!
Are there any other restaurants in HHI that the servers are wearing masks?

Thank you again for the great information!

Last edited:
Reactions: ngl

In general, how's the crowd level and the weather in mid/late March? We've never been and have heard so many wonderful things about this resort. Will have 2 kids and wondering if the ocean water will be too cold... Thanks!!

Bistro 17 and Sea Grass Grill had all servers masked as well. I didn't see a single server at Poseidon with a mask so that did stand out. Some other restaurants were variable. For example, we did eat at the French Bakery even though not all of the servers were masked because we got one who was. I was prepared to walk away if not. Ate at Fishcamp yesterday for lunch on the way out of town and I had to request a server with a mask but they were happy to oblige seemingly. Amy from Montana was awesome by the way. If you go to Fishcamp, I recommend the high top tables to the right as you come out of the restaurant. Those definitely had further spacing than the lower tables to the left. The island is super busy. I recommend eating early if it all possible.
Thank you! I had Poseidon booked but read that the SERG group restaurants do not mask. This is important to us!

In general, how's the crowd level and the weather in mid/late March? We've never been and have heard so many wonderful things about this resort. Will have 2 kids and wondering if the ocean water will be too cold... Thanks!!

Water is too cold to swim but the beach is beautiful and the pool at The Beach House is heated. The beach is a little over a mile from the villas either you take your car or the beach shuttle. .For us the resort has never felt crowded The resort has a great heated pool for kids with a lot of fun activities.The resort is just a wonderful place to relax.You will have a wonderful time.

Last edited:

Water is too cold to swim but the beach is beautiful and the pool at The Beach House is heated. The beach is a little over a mile from the villas either you take your car or the beach shuttle. .For us the resort has never felt crowded The resort has a great heated pool for kids with a lot of fun activities.The resort is just a wonderful place to relax.You will have a wonderful time.
Thank you!

I also heard that, but then I heard that both Poseidon and Dockside had masked servers, leading me to wonder if maybe SERG restaurants DO have a mask policy.

I also heard that, but then I heard that both Poseidon and Dockside had masked servers, leading me to wonder if maybe SERG restaurants DO have a mask policy.
When restaurants first reopened, the SERG group policy was that it was up to the servers whether they wore masks and there were many, many local reports that SERG restaurants were NOT wearing masks.

After a backlash from local supporters of that restaurant group, SERG has re-stated their policy. Now, all SERG restaurants will have a mask-wearing server available upon request - but not all servers are wearing masks. There are quite a few local restaurants where ALL servers are wearing masks.

SERG is the largest group of restaurants in the area and their restaurants are among the most popular (each restaurant is individually owned but SERG serves as a marketing service for all restaurants in that group). There are a LOT of locals who have voiced concern over the initial policy and who will likely recall that policy next winter when there are few out-of-town individuals looking for a place to eat - which I'm sure played a huge role in this recent policy change.

Here is a link to the current SERG policy - https://serggroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-19_SERG_Group.pdf

The mask policy at SERG is its up to the server. I just cancelled a reservation The new policy is a joke IMHO and I’m staying away. (Wonder if they have the same “relaxed” enforcement of other safety measures )

Fresh Market and Whole Foods are requiring masks

Restaurants managed by Sea Pines resort seem to have a clue the world has changed and are adapting. Masks, more outside seating, etc.

I get all the SERG emails so I just searched my mail to see if they had any updates on their policies. Nothing new there. They did have a health update back in March but no one was wearing masks on HHI back then.

There is a 'contact us' on their website or you could call and ask their policy. I've made several calls for my other upcoming summer plans, so that I could decide to keep or cancel my plans. Canceled Marriott. Kept Hyatt.

Also, Skull Creek and Dockside combined their menus in April. Not sure it's still that way.

Edit: I see Doc has the up to date info.

We just drove back today from HHI, spending the first four nights at Disney (15th-19th) and the last two nights at Harbourside. Overall, a good trip.

What follows are my notes which may or may not be helpful.
- DHHIR CMs remain awesome.
- Tide Me Over is still a great QS.
- Rooms are fine but weren't as clean/finished as you would have guessed coming off three months of non-use.
-- Floors were dirty, as in they didn't appear to have been mopped. We dripped some water from the sink, and when we wiped it up, the paper towel was very dirty. We had only been in the room for a couple of hours.
-- Rope pull on one drawer under the TV was untied and hanging to the floor.
-- One lamp in the living area didn't work--we switched out bulbs to double check.
- Shower head is old and difficult to reach, and it was even more challenging to switch the flow. Normal flow was moderate, but to turn it to where it was more of a stream took effort. I'm 6' 1" and had difficulty reaching up and getting any torque on the shower head.
- Timed how long it took to get hot water in the shower: four and a half minutes the three times we used it. That's a lot of wasted water. No problems with getting hot water quickly to the tub.
- We were a little disturbed at how many people simply didn't wear masks on property. Naturally, CMs can't be everywhere, but they have signs everywhere, and at check in they remind you: wear a mask. We saw a few times where management asked patrons to please put on a mask. Even so, there were handfuls of guests each day who we saw weren't wearing masks while walking around the grounds. Despite one's personal beliefs about the efficacy of masks, the fact remains Disney asks you to wear one for everyone's sake. That people were flouting that instruction is bothersome.
- All grocery stores we visited (four in total) had all workers in masks and behind shields at customer interaction points. Fresh Market goes so far as to require all patrons to wear a mask. Tanger Center was, surprisingly, following good social distancing measures, at least the stores we visited. Most customers were not masked, though more there than at local restaurants.
- Speaking of restaurants, we made most of our meals in the room after visiting places like Bennie Hudson's Seafood market. When we didn't, no restaurant we visited had servers in masks, though you could (and we did) request they wear one. We had two nights above Scott's Seafood Market, and best as I could tell, all their servers wore masks (good). Most of their tables, however, were not very far apart, so you sat close to other patrons for the most part (not good).
- While our Disney room experience wasn't an A+, it was a gem compared to the Harbourside I suite w/kitchen we had. Dark, dingy, dirty, and dated. Huge and numerous stains on the carpet. Old pair of shoes found under the coffee table in the living area. Dirty wine glasses, as in they still smelled of stale wine. Sheets were clean but pilled, sort of as if your grandma had pulled out some 10-year set for you. Speaking of grandma, there was a distinct scent of eau de lilac and mothballs. Not that we watched TV, but when we were looking around and thinking about it, no directions about how to use the TV in the living area--the huge 21" screen with four different remotes.
- I will say the wireless speed was very good both at Disney and Harbourside.
- We figured this going in, but parties were hanging around until 10 to 11 p.m. at Scott's right below us. Last night, there was a birthday party that didn't wrap up until 11:05. . .and they were loud.
- In short, we won't go back there.

HHI is wide open with some restrictions in place but with few people wearing masks except in grocery stores where it was a 50-50 proposition on customers. Thus, if you're a bit leery of being in public due to the virus, you might want to take care and gear up or plan to cook in your room if you have a kitchen. We're very grateful we had the foresight and points to do so. If there are any questions, fire away.

Oh, one let note, @quinnc19 I agree that the high top tables just out on the back dining area at Fishcamp on Broad Creek offer the best chance to social distance. We love Fishcamp, and those are the best tables, especially if you can get one on the farthest reaches of said patio.

Last edited:
Sadly (we love SERG restaurants) I've been in touch with people on HHI, who've told me that what people posted here is right-no masks required at SERG. Sorry, I guess I hoping.

We just drove back today from HHI, spending the first four nights at Disney (15th-19th) and the last two nights at Harbourside. Overall, a good trip.

What follows are my notes which may or may not be helpful.
- DHHIR CMs remain awesome.
- Tide Me Over is still a great QS.
- Rooms are fine but weren't as **** and span as you would have guessed coming off three months of non-use.
-- Floors were dirty, as in they didn't appear to have been mopped. We dripped some water from the sink, and when we wiped it up, the paper towel was very dirty. We had only been in the room for a couple of hours.
-- Rope pull on one drawer under the TV was untied and hanging to the floor.
-- One lamp in the living area didn't work--we switched out bulbs to double check.
- Shower head is old and difficult to reach and move to switch the flow. Normal flow was moderate, but to turn it to where it was more of a stream took effort. I'm 6' 1" and had difficulty reaching up and getting any torque on the shower head.
- Timed how long it took to get hot water in the shower: four and a half minutes the three times we used it. That's a lot of wasted water. No problems with getting hot water quickly to the tub.
- We were a little disturbed at how many people simply didn't wear masks on property. Naturally, CMs can't be everywhere, but they have signs everywhere, and at check in they remind you: wear a mask. We saw a few times where management asked patrons to please put on a mask. Even so, there were handfuls of guests each day we saw who we saw weren't wearing masks and walking around the grounds. Despite one's personal beliefs about the efficacy of masks, the fact remains Disney asks you to wear one for everyone's sake. That people were flouting that instruction is bothersome.
- All grocery stores we visited (four in total) had all workers in masks and behind shields at customer interaction points. Fresh Market was requiring all patrons to wear a mask, as well. Tanger Center was surprisingly following good social distancing measures, at least the stores we visited. Most customers were not masked, though more there than at local restaurants.
- Speaking of restaurants, we made most of our meals in the room after visiting places like Bennie Hudson's Seafood market. When we didn't, no restaurant we visited had servers in masks, though you could (and we did) request they wear one. We had two nights above Scott's Seafood Market, and best as I could tell, all their servers wore masks (good). Most of their tables, however, were not very far apart, so you sat close to other patrons for the most part (not good).
- While our Disney room experience wasn't an A+, it was a gem compared to the Harbourside I suite w/kitchen we had. Dark, dingy, dirty, and dated. Huge and numerous stains on the carpet. Old pair of shoes found under the coffee table in the living area. Dirty wine glasses, as in they still smelled of stale wine. Sheets were clean but pilled, sort of as if your grandma had pulled out some 10-year set for you. Speaking of grandma, there was a distinct scent of eau de lilac and mothballs. Not that we watched TV, but when we were looking around and thinking about it, no directions about how to use the TV in the living area--the huge 21" screen with four different remotes.
- I will say the wireless speed was very good.
- We figured this going in, but parties were hanging around until 10 to 11 p.m. at Scott's right below us. Last night, there was a birthday party that didn't wrap up until 11:05. . .and they were loud.
- In short, we won't go back there.

HHI is wide open with some restrictions in place but with few people wearing masks except in grocery stores where it was a 50-50 proposition on customers. Thus, if you're a bit leery of being in public due to the virus, you might want to take care and gear up or plan to cook in your room if you have a kitchen. We're very grateful we had the foresight and points to do so. If there are any questions, fire away.

Oh, one let note, @quinnc19 I agree that the high top tables just out on the back dining area offer the best chance to social distance. We love Fishcamp, and those are the best tables, especially if you can get one on the farthest reaches of said patio.
I appreciate all of the information in your post. I was considering a stay at Harbourside but think I'll pass. We will be in a studio in October. I guess I need to plan on take-out every night. We will do a Kroger pick-up order when we get there for breakfast and lunch.
Sadly (we love SERG restaurants) I've been in touch with people on HHI, who've told me that what people posted here is right-no masks required at SERG. Sorry, I guess I hoping.
We love SERG restaurants, too. Will you plan on eating take-out at these restaurants or avoid them altogether?

I appreciate all of the information in your post. I was considering a stay at Harbourside but think I'll pass. We will be in a studio in October. I guess I need to plan on take-out every night. We will do a Kroger pick-up order when we get there for breakfast and lunch.
I don't know the quality of all the rooms in Harbourside I, nor can I speak to the cleanliness of Harbourside II and III. I can only speak to this one room; however, as with any first impressions, what you see is how you judge a situation--or in this case, a room. And ours was mediocre. Everything worked, and if you really wanted to cook vice go out or do take-out, then it's still a viable option. But memorable it was not. . .at least not in a good way.

We also did take-out once, so that's definitely a possibility for you. Even then, we masked up to grab the food at the restaurant. I understand many don't want to, and that's certainly evident on HHI. . .as is the recent spike of COVID cases there in the past week, as well as in all of Beaufort County.

We love SERG restaurants, too. Will you plan on eating take-out at these restaurants or avoid them altogether?

Perhaps do some take-out. We were just talking today about eating in our villa more than usual, but I can't imagine going to HHI and not having our SERG seafood fix. Although I heard on DHHIR's Facebook page that Kenny B's has masked servers. I like it there a lot-our kind of "fancy". Speaking of "fancy", I wonder the status of Sea Shack regarding masks..

Any word on Skullcreek Boathouse and help wearing masks? We are visiting HH Disney early July. My ds is asthmatic and it was one place we enjoy when we visit. Thanks so much.

Any word on Skullcreek Boathouse and help wearing masks? We are visiting HH Disney early July. My ds is asthmatic and it was one place we enjoy when we visit. Thanks so much.
Heard great things about Skullcreek...when is the best time to go? Anytime we have tried, the wait is impossible! No reservations or call ahead there for a small party, correct? Thnx!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!