HHI LOVERS THREAD

Hey, Muushka! I last stayed at HHI Disney about the same time as you, but Luv and I have gone to HHI proper three times in the last five years as July is our anniversary month. Not owning at HHI means we can never get in during the dates we need, so we've stayed at both the Marriott and in Palmetto Dunes apartments. We always make time to drive over to the Disney property and hang out for awhile including getting Mickey waffles. It's such a lovely resort and the CMs are the best!

Hi. We own a three bedroom fixed August week at Waterside by Spinnaker in HHI, down the street from Coligny Plaza. Are you saying we can drive over to Disneys Resort and eat and look around? We have owned over ten years and have never thought we can go and look around.

Thanks.

How hard is it to get a few days in August 7 months out? It looks like a wonderful non Disney trip
And the studios do they sleep 4 or 5
Thanks in advance

js: When you say, "owned over ten years," does that mean with Disney or Waterside? We've owned at VWL for a decade and a half, so when we buzz into the main resort, we always tell them that we're DVC owners there to just spend some money and look around. Even if you aren't DVC members, but you said you'd like to look around, I suspect they'd let you. We always check in at the front desk after being allowed on property, though, just to let them know we're there.

How hard is it to get a few days in August 7 months out? It looks like a wonderful non Disney trip
Thanks in advance

Studios sleep 4, not 5. The summer months are very difficult at 7 months, but you'd have a better chance at the end of August than at any other time.

Hi. We own a three bedroom fixed August week at Waterside by Spinnaker in HHI, down the street from Coligny Plaza. Are you saying we can drive over to Disneys Resort and eat and look around? We have owned over ten years and have never thought we can go and look around.

Thanks.

You have to check in with the front desk- just let them know you want to check out the property, shop and get a bite to eat. I think they always are fine with that unless maybe it's a holiday week.

Thanks in advance

I own at CCV but we are booked at HHI for this Aug. starting the 17th - I was EXTREMELY nervous about not being able to get into the resort at 7 months based on everything I read on the FB group and here - however I had no problem. That being said I signed on and booked at exactly the time that booking window opened, that morning - and we got a one bedroom - I understand Studio's may be more in demand but we needed a full kitchen for our length of stay.

I think as long as you have low expectations but go in as soon as you can, you should be ok.

I have a golf question - I've searched the boards and the most recent post about this was from 2018. My husband is an avid golfer with a low handicap. We've never stayed at HHI before but he is itching to play a course nearby. Based on 2018 recommendations Heritage is coming out on top. Does anyone have any recent experience with the nearby courses? Are there still DVC discounts on some? Thanks!!

I own at CCV but we are booked at HHI for this Aug. starting the 17th - I was EXTREMELY nervous about not being able to get into the resort at 7 months based on everything I read on the FB group and here - however I had no problem. That being said I signed on and booked at exactly the time that booking window opened, that morning - and we got a one bedroom - I understand Studio's may be more in demand but we needed a full kitchen for our length of stay.

I think as long as you have low expectations but go in as soon as you can, you should be ok.

Thanks I checked at 7 months out roughly to the week im thinking for next year and it was ok .. so hopefully but it def won’t break my heart if I can’t

I have a golf question - I've searched the boards and the most recent post about this was from 2018. My husband is an avid golfer with a low handicap. We've never stayed at HHI before but he is itching to play a course nearby. Based on 2018 recommendations Heritage is coming out on top. Does anyone have any recent experience with the nearby courses? Are there still DVC discounts on some? Thanks!!
That describes my DH-an avid golfer with a low handicap. The Palmetto Dunes courses have a Disney discount, or at least did last year. However, last year, DH was disappointed in the condition of the PD course he played (I THINK it was Fazio). Actually, Fazio is the most challenging of the 3 courses-elevated greens surrounded by bunkers. Hilton Head National (DH's favorite) and Dolphin Head are the best buys. And of course, if he's seen the Heritage, he has to play Harbourtown-once. It's very expensive, but the experience is unforgettable. For DH there was nothing like knowing, when he watches the Heritage now, that "Hey, I shot better than him on that hole". DH has finally played every course he can get onto on Hilton Head-some are too private, and Dolphin Head is public now, but just recently went public.

We just had a waitlist come through ourselves. We had managed to find a studio for one night and a 2BR for the last night (out of three nights). Just had a notification that our opening night was fulfilled, also a studio, and they already linked the first two nights. So, it CAN be done, just as you mention, keep expectations low.

That describes my DH-an avid golfer with a low handicap. The Palmetto Dunes courses have a Disney discount, or at least did last year. However, last year, DH was disappointed in the condition of the PD course he played (I THINK it was Fazio). Actually, Fazio is the most challenging of the 3 courses-elevated greens surrounded by bunkers. Hilton Head National (DH's favorite) and Dolphin Head are the best buys. And of course, if he's seen the Heritage, he has to play Harbourtown-once. It's very expensive, but the experience is unforgettable. For DH there was nothing like knowing, when he watches the Heritage now, that "Hey, I shot better than him on that hole". DH has finally played every course he can get onto on Hilton Head-some are too private, and Dolphin Head is public now, but just recently went public.

Oh this is so helpful - I know he would LOVE to play Harbourtown but I think he's going to get a couple different courses under his belt first. He's leaning toward Hilton Head National but we are going to be there for a full week so I know he's going to go out at least two times. Thank you!! We are SO excited for this trip!

js: When you say, "owned over ten years," does that mean with Disney or Waterside? We've owned at VWL for a decade and a half, so when we buzz into the main resort, we always tell them that we're DVC owners there to just spend some money and look around. Even if you aren't DVC members, but you said you'd like to look around, I suspect they'd let you. We always check in at the front desk after being allowed on property, though, just to let them know we're there.

Yes to both lol

We own DVC-SSR and Waterside. Maybe Ill try to see about taking a look over there if the weather isnt great one day.

Thanks.

Boy, only two times in a whole week? How did you get so lucky?

HA! If we weren't traveling with family he would have been gone every early morning tee time he could grab but I think he's feeling the Golf Guilt - we'll see how long it lasts...

Yes to both lol

We own DVC-SSR and Waterside. Maybe Ill try to see about taking a look over there if the weather isnt great one day.

Thanks.
You won't have any issues then. Whenever we go to HHI, and this is the first time in five years we're able to actually stay at the Disney resort, we always swing over to walk around the grounds, grab Mickey waffles, walk out on the fishing pier, play corn hole etc. We've even managed to walk around a 2BR suite not long after the last refurbishment. Very relaxing and friendly vibe.

We just made our flight reservations for Thanksgiving this morning, thanks to Southwest extending their schedule. Thank goodness DH is retired, so we could travel on weekdays. Instead of traveling weekend to weekend, we're saving over $500 and getting there Thursday to Tuesday-12 nights. Lots of golf for DH, lots of restaurants for both of us.

We just made our flight reservations for Thanksgiving this morning, thanks to Southwest extending their schedule. Thank goodness DH is retired, so we could travel on weekdays. Instead of traveling weekend to weekend, we're saving over $500 and getting there Thursday to Tuesday-12 nights. Lots of golf for DH, lots of restaurants for both of us.
The restaurants draw us to HHI more than anything else, I think. We're stuck in the mountains of southwest VA, so getting anything that isn't fried, cooked within an inch of its life, or that is actually fresh (beyond summer veggies), is just about impossible. That's why we cook so much at home. Going to HHI gives us a chance to make our own Low Country boil and hit restaurants where fresh doesn't mean "fresh out of the freezer."

I absolutely love Disney's Hilton Head resort..as well as Hilton Head in general. The DVC resort sits on it's own small island, so the atmosphere of the resort is serine with all kinds of nature, water ways, and marsh lands to observe. The wildlife and birds that cruise by the resort are fun to watch. There are all kinds of activities for families and children to enjoy. The fresh baked cookies in the lobby is a nice touch...what's not to love.

If you haven't been to Hilton Head and you are reading this post....GO. Book a vacation or a 4 day get away and check it out. The restaurants, shopping, bike trails, the beach, golfing, fishing....it's just such a wonderful place to relax and enjoy family time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!