hey guys...

conor

www.saddle-creek.com
i'm going to be in disneyworld in june with my band and some friends and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on nice places to stay and good places to eat. i'm new here and i've never been to disneyworld before. and if anyone wants to hang out with us while i'm down there, that would be really cool. thanks a lot everyone. :)

Conor, what to do really depends on what you're interested in, and for some things, how old you are. So..what are you interested in? How old are you? Do you or your friends drink? How many people will you be with? Are you looking for things just in WDW, or in Orlando, too?

thanks kate. i will be traveling with seven other people and we are all in our mid-late 20s. we've never been to disneyworld before, so we're pretty open minded as to what we can do. we're interested in having fun! we'll be at disney for seven days and then we will be playing some shows in the orlando area so yea i actually would appreciate some info on the orlando area. or if you could direct me where to go to find some, that would be helpful as well. thank you so much.. :)

Well, If you want something cool for dinner, the Enzian is an independent non-profit art theater that also serves full meals and has a full bar -- it's wicked fun and one of my favorite places in the city. They sponsor the Florida Film Festival and are really big on community education and involvement. Obviously, my love for them knows no bounds.

If y'all aren't playing at The Social , they've always got someone good coming in, so you might check that out (Good drinks and generous bartenders, too.) There's a vegan hot dog stand across the street that is more delicious than it has a right to be. Park Avenue CDs is a great indie record/CD store that used to be in Winter Park, but is moving into Orlando proper; their new location is going to be pretty big which should be nice. Will's pub is another fun place for a night out -- they have open mic hip hop nights which are always entertaining, if nothing else. They're up near the Orlando Science Center (which is fun in an entirely different way), off of Mills Avenue. Downtown Orlando is fun to go out in; I like Mako's and the Ybor Martini Bar, which could not be more polar opposite in their environments.

For eating, Bubbalou's Barbecue is good, not great, but I'm from Oklahoma and unreasonably picky about smoked meat. It's definitely some of the best you can get in the area, though. There are a bunch of locations around town. Rincon Criollo is on North Orange Ave, and they're probably the best place for cuban food I've found in the city. The black beans have crack in them, I think.

At WDW, Epcot is always fun -- a word of caution, ride Test Track and Mission: Space before you attempt to drink around the world. My first stop in Epcot is always Spaceship Earth, without fail. Illuminations (the fireworks show there) is, I think, the best fireworks show on property. The Moroccan restaurant in World Showcase is probably my favorite in any of the parks. Disney-MGM Studios is also good; you have to do Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster, but I never miss the Muppets 3D, either. You can't not go to Magic Kingdom, so be sure to ride Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Carousel of Progress if it's open and Splash Mountain. Sunday and Thursday nights are free for cast members at Pleasure Island, so you'll find lots of college students there then. Tuesday nights are also big cast member nights at Jellyrolls, a dueling pianos bar at the Boardwalk Hotel. It's packed, but you won't find a more fun place on property that night. (Plus, you can go to Epcot, watch Illuminations, and then walk over to Jellyrolls afterwards.)

I'm moving back down at the end of May/beginning of June (don't have a lease date yet; that's why I'm spending spring break there.). If you have anything else you'd like to know, I have a list of suggestions longer than anyone in their right mind would ask for. It all depends on what y'all want/like to do. My e-mail and IM are both in my profile if there's anything else you'd like to know.

you have been more help to me than i could have ever hoped for! your advice is just great. and you mentioned the social.. i adore that place. we played there on september 28, 2002. no my memory is not that good. i strangely saw my photo archived on their website from the link you gave me. anyway, it was one of the best venues we have ever played. the atmosphere was just incredible and the audience was a lot of fun too.

thanks for the tip about park avenue cds. we're always on the lookout for cool indie stores staying afloat in the storm of corporate music industry blitz. i do have a few more questions, mainly about vegan/vegetarian food options in disneyworld and the orlando area [which you alluded to] and basically how to spend seven awesome days in disneyworld. thanks so much again. :)

conor.

There's actually a pretty good guide to vegetarian food at allearsnet.com -- there are sections on the parks, and other things on eating vegetarian while you're on property. Most of the stuff you'll find will be vegetarian (there'll be at least one vegetarian entree at all full-service and most counter service restaurants.), but vegan is a little more challenging. My favorite vegetarian stuff is the vegetable couscous in Morocco at Epcot and the grilled portobello sandwich at the ESPN Club (which I practically lived on while I worked down there...). Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge always has a pretty wide selection of stuff on their buffet, too.

E-mail me if you want to know about other places around Orlando; it's pretty spread out, so if I can get an idea of where y'all are playing I can direct you around better.

Hey there,

If you guys are of age, I would suggest drinking your way around the world. Its a lot of fun!

The frozen Maragaritas in Mexico are a great way to cool off.

Enjoy

Crystal ::MinnieMo

conor said:
i'm going to be in disneyworld in june with my band and some friends and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on nice places to stay and good places to eat. i'm new here and i've never been to disneyworld before. and if anyone wants to hang out with us while i'm down there, that would be really cool. thanks a lot everyone. :)

Hi Conor! What's the name of your band? I'm always looking for new music to listen to :) If you're going to be staying on Disney property and aren't on too tight of a budget I would recommend The Polynesian Resort or the Beach Club Resort. Those are my two favorites. The Swan is really nice as well. As far as eating while you are in Disneyworld (I've never gone off property while in Orlando so I can't help you there) some of my favorite restaurants are: The Brown Derby, California Grill, Kimono's (great sushi if you like it), Jiko's, and Wolfgang Puck's. And I'm pretty sure they all offer vegetarian options. Hope that helps...have a great trip! :wave2:

Hey - Ill be down there on my internship when your band will be, so youll have to let us know when/where you will be playing so I can come and check yas out!

conor, i have to ask because my friend is a huge bright eyes fan, are you Conor Oberst?

hey uptown girl... yea i'm conor oberst. hard to believe i'd be posting on a disney message board, isn't it? i was told this site would be extremely useful and it's true. i've gotten very helpful information from some very lovely people. :3dglasses

tell your friend i said thanks for the support. it's always nice to hear. :music:

disteach...when in june will you be there? if our dates coincide, we would all love someone to spend some time with and show us around! :dancer:

I'll also be down permanently after June 1st -- I move into my apartment at the end of May. (Well, if the University of Oklahoma isn't lying to me and actually lets me graduate. Which they'd better.)

Hey Connor:

I can't really help you on places to party (unless you want to hang out with a bunch of 40 something gay guys singing show tunes). I live just outside of Downtown, and can suggest some places for you to stay / eat. The single best deal on site right now is Swan/Dolphin, but the rate is running about $199 a night right now - very good price, but still steep. You can do very well on Hotel Plaza Blvd (Grosvenor has some good rates out there right now, depending on when your traveling), and Buena Vista Suites is probably my top suggestion (they're running about $88 p/night for a two room suite, and it includes a very nice breakfast every morning).

As far as eating goes, I can DEFINATELY help you there. Since I had to work very hard to maintain my pork-like figure for a number of years (260 lbs then - 185 now), I have some suggestions.

In terms of portion of food for price paid, check out Wildsides BBQ in downtown orlando (used to be Wildfires). THe sampler platter runs $14.99 I think, and has more food than any human can consume. I've not met one person that has finished all the food on that plate (chicken, ribs, pulled pork - yum). Also, there are some fantastic Thai and Vietnamese restaurants on Colonial between Mills and Bumby (the Thai places are not nearly exotic as Thai places in NYC). Also, another great local secret is TooJays Restaurant. It's a fairly large deli-restaurant that serves excellent food at VERY reasonable prices (in the Colonial Plaza Shopping Ctr on Rt 50/ Colonial). Of course, these are "off the tourist corridor", and do not have much, if any tourist business. These are local establishments, and that's who they cater too.

On property, I'd avoid most of the more expensive restaurants as I find them very over-rated. Some are consistently good (Flying Fish at the Boardwalk for instance) and some I can't get a good meal no matter what I do (Citrico's at the Grand Floridian). One of the best burgers you will ever eat are cooked up at Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club - the bugger is HUGE.

If you'll venture over to International Drive, some of the better restaurants in town are over there right now. Top of my list this month is Texas de Brazil - a brazillian steak house that is OUT OF THIS WORLD. It's all you can eat for $29.99 I did not eat for 2 days after my last visit - they just don't stop coming to your table with food - they bring these long skewers with Filet Mingon, Sirloin, pork, fish, etc and just keep putting food on your plate.

Good luck, hope the advice your getting here helps!

Thx
Pete

May I also suggest the Comedy club and Adventures club at downtown. I haven't been yet. But I'm going to finally make my way over there on this next trip. From what I hear there both a really good time. Hope you all have a good time. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter