Hey Dad I have this grad school interview in Orlando in January...

ckb_nc

DIS Veteran
Me the Disney vet and planner – turned 50 a few months ago. Life goal – cross the threshold of Magic Kingdom once for every year alive. Proud to report I am now 10 years to the good on that goal. Been going to WDW now for over 40 years. This was my 4th trip in the last 14 months

DisDaughter – the oldest of three; celebrated her 5th birthday at WDW and now set graduate college in May. Part of Team A with her Dad and younger sister.

She is on the right; her sister on the left. We missed her sister this trip a bunch. She is in nursing school and missing school was hard. One day she and I will have the solo father daughter trip. One day.

My oldest will graduate in May from UNC Chapel Hill. Her plan is to go on to graduate school in the fall for physical therapy. This is a three year program in most cases. She has worked hard, has great grades with excellent references. We encouraged her to apply broadly. She applied to several schools including UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, UCF and Stanford. She was accepted to the University of South Carolina in early December. In the same time frame she started getting invites to interview. East Carolina, Emory, UCF all invited her to interview along with Colorado.

UNC Chapel Hill had wait listed her for an interview. She turned down Colorado and Emory. UCF came in the end of January and thus an idea was hatched.

Chapters

Introduction
The Plan
The numbers, they change
We arrive
Rope Drop at HS
First time in Pandora

Last edited:
The Plan

My wife gave her blessing and the trip was born. Her interview was on Friday morning and we agreed to come back Monday evening , with her skipping school. She is a part time student this semester with only 5 hours to graduate. I looked at flights and we could fly out of charlotte and RDU and land within a half hour. Booked a hotel close to UCF for a night. As DVC members – no open places anywhere but was less than 60 days out. Still for January ?

I debated where to stay – I looked at values but I could not pull the trigger. I saw what was a decent rate for POR. Port Orleans Riverside is in my top 5 of resorts. I love it and knew we would enjoy it.

Now the fun began. Our plan is a big family trip.in October. I looked at the costs and annual passes made all.kinds of sense. Disney had a DVC sale on premium passes. Bucket list item – have an annual pass to WDW and be able to cost justify it. I should have gotten one last year but two trips were last minute.

Tickets in hand and a place to stay. I started making fast pass plans. I was completely blown away when I scored Flight of Passage fast passes both Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. In fact I got great fast passes for the entire trip. The best was space mountain, mine train and big thunder Monday in a two and half hour spread. It was perfect for our last morning.

Then the bucket list items started appearing – Disney after hours and moonlight magic from DVC. I was able too book Disney after hours with the AP discount ( already paying me back ) online. That was easy. But DVC Moonlight Magic was a different deal. The morning it cane open – no email. I came into the DVC forum here and saw that it was a mess. So to the phones – I was on hold for about 90 minutes but was able to get booked. They said the email would take up to 10 days; I assume they were literally writing down our names in some shared spreadsheet at that point. I called back 2 weeks when no email had appeared. They had my reservation but were still backed up. I think I got in another week or so. This is one reservation I would want to have in my back pocket.

So we have a trip planned for late January. My daughter has interviews before then. Plus there was this little Christmas trip to see some little show about Hamilton. And the new lab puppy we got for my sons birthday ( ok it was really my present ).

Meet Angus

Last edited:
The numbers, they change

The first interview was planned to be East Carolina. But then it snowed in the Eastern part and they had to reschedule. She got the interview at UNC. She had done her undergrad there. She has spent the last three summers there as well. She has lived in the same house for he last two yeas straight with7 other girls. For a girl who UNC was her last choice, who looked more than slightly terrified when we left that Saturday after dropping her off her freshmen year ( leaving her that evening was one the hardest things I have ever done in my life without a doubt), who I believed would have told mid way through her second semester freshmen year that she was transferring – the turn around was simply massive. Her radical decision to spend the summer after her freshmen year in Chapel Hill was the key. So needless to say the chance to stay in Chapel Hill was big. She called us after the UNC interview excited, hopeful and nervous.

The following week she went over to ECU and things went well. ECU has a strong medical program and had some nice things but it was not UNC.

I am known as stalker Dad – give a few minutes on google and I will find out something. I had been not involved at all in the PT school process. She had submitted her applications in late August and I was letting her be in charge. But the reality was this – she was still in the running at other schools including Duke but UNC was a clear number 1. Started researching PT school admissions and found this very good board that gave me clues. First Emory and Unc had scheduled interviews the same day so it meant some candidates like my daughter had to make a choice. Declining an interview is apparently like giving up your spot in the line. You may well not get it back. By getting the interview at UNC that was a big deal. And although UNC said they would get back in 2 to 3 weeks, last year was like a week. Being older I had the perspective that yes these folks were competing for spots in these schools but these schools were also competing for students. So yeah I watched this one thread in one forum like a hawk seeing a mouse.

Super secret hope – she gets in UNC while we are at WDW.

The very night she had interviewed at ECU someone posted they had got in at UNC. It was late and I was anxious. Four years earlier, the day my oldest failed to qualified for the 4a state swim meet I suggested she check her admission status to her top college. She was waitlisted. It was one of her darkest days ever and I have regretted making her check. I decided to wait until the morning. I got up the next morning ( I slept horrible BTW) and someone else posted they had gotten in to UNC. Yikes – finally at 10am I called her. She knew nothing and I told her to check her email. A few long minutes later she FaceTimes my wife and I with tears of joy – she was in at UNC. The email had gone to her spam folder somehow. Along with her Stanford rejection. It was a glorious day.

We talked later – we discussed the UCF interview ( the whole reason for a trip to Orlando). She said she wanted to interview. I asked her what could possibly make her come to school at UCF ( well besides being 45 minutes from WDW); she said a full ride which I asked what was the possibility ? She said not much at all. I said cancel the interview – someone did for you at UNC; someone needs it at UCF. She sent in her deposit to UNC and well the next 3 years literally are known. She also got into ECU that Monday too.

So time to replan. Cancel hotel Thursday and start looking. Trivago, kayak and hotel tonight were on speed dial but nothing I liked. Finally on Priceline Caribbean beach for 144. Now I am no CB fan; I do not like it but it was an ok price. Time to rethink the car. My wife was pushing me to ditch the car. I looked at the costs for uber from the airport to WDW and uber to/from Publix. I determined getting a car from National at MCO then dropping off at MK the next day was likely break even. It was in fact a perfect move. I will reuse this strategy. More in our Lyft experience to come.

I was really excited for the trip especially to celebrate. The hard part was my other daughter. She really wanted to come but she is in he first year of Nursing school at the university of Kentucky. She doing great but she could not miss school either Friday or Monday. She would have been with us for like a day and half. We priced out the tickets – ouch. We would miss our third Mouseketeer a bunch. Her cackle if glee is something to experience. My wife and son – between the flu and snow my son had been to school 2 days in two weeks. My wife was starting a new semester of teaching. She teaches high school special ed English and local schools switch classes each semester. I would miss them too but my daughter made the trip really fun and we both were super flexible.

The flu – my son and my wife had it in the weeks before my trip. It was a tough one and I was super cautious. Not sure how I avoided it frankly.

Now on the gory details

We arrive

I worked the day we left well I tried too. I had been packed for a week or more and we had coordinated our t-shirts. I got a good run in before I left. We had discussed working out Friday morning but I quickly suggested going upside down with rope drop. Plus I did not need to pack workout clothes. I had applied for TSA pre Monday but it did not show up yet online. Made it to the airport on time when the first real pucker moment. On the bus to the terminal I realize I left my phone in my car. The guy driving my shuttle bus flew plus traffic at the airport was non existent. I literally can’t remember when it was this light. Got my phone and was through security – crisis adverted. Wow was that more than a few anxious moments. I was just not put together this entire day. Not sure why but the entire day and the next I was off. Oh well the flight was late taking off but we had a huge north tail wind. Landed on time my daughter was actually early. We were on the opposite ends of Terminal B. I ended up getting the car. I choose a smaller SUV but the big Toyota Truck looked fun. By the time I got the car she was outside on the terminal – picked her up and we were off. I raided my change drawer from my car and had exact change for the turnpike.

Bucket list item – watch fireworks from the DVC lounge. So straight to BLT. We got access no problems. The Top of The World lounge is a great perk frankly. It is very beautiful with a wonderful view into the park. Both of us were hungry so we had appetizers and she had some mixed drink. It was crowded and that north wind that made us fly so fast made it chilly. I had only brought shorts for the trip and I was slightly concerned.
20180126_005956538_iOSrevised.jpg

We saw the fireworks from the tower – great experience but the new show with the castle piece is nice far away but really meant to be seen on Main Street. Wishes was ok far away.

Off to Publix which was behind MK close to Windemere?? Google maps took me there. Never ever been to that Publix before but it was Publix. With the post fireworks traffic, heading north out BLT was the right choice. Seventy dollars later we were off to our hotel. It was a room in Jamaica – ground floor. I remember that I was glad it was for one night. My wife likes it there but my daughter and I vote a clear no. Maybe post construction. Lights out by 11:30 after Top Chef (it was Restaurant Wars) - rope drop Hollywood Studios.

Last edited:

We hit it hard early and late

Alarm goes off at 7:30. Breakfast in the room. Plan is HS then comeback by 11. I had asked for late check out but no dice. So out the door by 8:15. We were at the ticket booth ( no line thank you) to activate the annual passes. That took all of 5 minutes. In the park at 8:45 and we were one of the first ones on rock n roller coaster. We literally never slowed down. Amazing as always so let’s go again – and we do. Why not a third time – sure. It’s 9:40 and we have three trips upside down folks. After the third trip we both were needing a break plus the line was at least 4x longer. We skipped ToT – our stomaches needed a break.

20180201_172819357_iOSrevised.jpg

URL]

20180201_172819357_iOS_zpsunokj0k3.jpg

I had this late idea – I had an empty picture frame with a white mat. The mat had 2 plus inches in width. Why not bring that and have the characters sign it; make a collage of the pictures when I get home. Boom really cool trip memory. But the mat I had was just too big but for a whole 5 dollars a got a 11 x 17 mat from the local frame store. My daughter loved the idea – character meet onwards. First up was Olaf.
Then Goofy was around the corner – what a great Goofy. We saw chip and dale but over the next few days we never got a picture with them. Rides versus character count – this will be close.

20180127_012626378_iOSrevised.jpg
After meeting Olaf and Goofy we headed back to our room. I managed to catch a quick 10 minute nap. We were out by 11. The car was due at one and we were hungry. I had a plan – burgers at Geyser Point. On the way we dropped our bags and groceries at POR. Funny story here- I left my phone in the car as we were dropping the bags – 12 of them- get back in the car and our room

Is ready. Oh well no biggie.

Off to WL – we explore Copper Creek. The new cabins look amazing. Can you say new bucket list item??20180126_164602733_iOSrevised.jpg

Found our way to Geyser point – amazing view little chilly in the wind but new favorite. The buffalo burger was a huge hit. Great server. Had the apple cranberry crumble – very nice not too sweet dessert. The view the vibe and the food – I will be back here

20180126_164722666_iOSrevised.jpg

Time to drop off the car – I used less than a gallon of fuel which still seems crazy. Dropped off the car with a personal shuttle to AK. This was a great experience.

Last edited:
Off to Pandora

We have not been since Pandora opened. I had fast passes to meet Mickey, flight and Everest. As we entered the park, we ran into Breer Bear, Fox and Rabbit right by the entrance. We played with Breer Rabbit and Fox. Wish I had video – rabbitt signed our mat btw.
20180126_180200716_iOSrevised.jpg

Off to hunt characters. We saw Donald. This was a great Donald

20180131_022047800_iOS - revised.jpg
Then Goofy and Pluto
20180127_012511035_iOSrevised.jpg

Then Mickey and Minnie.
20180127_012528607_iOSrevised.jpg

So far 9 characters three attractions for those playing at home.

Time for our first foray into Pandora. Would it live up to the hype? Was FOP that great?

First impressions – standing in Pandora by FOP – you forget you are in Florida. It is not quite as impressive as Hogsmeade at Universal but close. And FOP is crazy awesome. I was super anxious the first time as I get pretty darn motion sick. But it is breath taking and needs several rides. The motion part is actually right on that edge for me. But wow

Dad wells screws up

Back to POR from AK where we pick up our stuff and have a cart to our room. 8430 in Magnolia. What I remember is it was relatively quiet even with some groups around and not a terrible walk to the front. The North bus stop was close by.

We unpacked and took naps. I grabbed maybe 45 minutes. DS needed more, much more. So I headed to the pool for the hot tub. The hot tub was packed so I hit the bar, great bartender there and had a beer. Mickey is now driving. I love the pool here and the bar is also great. Did I mention I love POR?
Finally get her up at 6:45 after did actually get into the hot tub. Tonight is Disney after Hours.

Now we have reservations for DVC Magical Moonlight on Sunday too which is 9 to 12. So I believe that DAH is the same – wrong. Which is where we screwed up.

So of to quick service for make your own salads which is one of my top quick service meals in all of WDW. Just love it – we eat our salads and make out to the bus stop. This day we did not hit the transportation lottery. It took forever to get to MK – I think we got there just as the fireworks ended. Or darn close to that time. Got our lanyards on the way in. No problem there.

Thinking we had DAH at 9, I decided to shop for my wife. She has a Pandora bracelet and I had some very explicit instructions this trip. It was an absolute madhouse but managed to get what I needed. Just took some time.

We made out of the store and headed to the park. I can not remember exactly what we did but I know there as Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Pooh but no Mine train. We did see an excellent Rapunzel with little wait

20180128_032127728_iOSrevised.jpg

And a great Tianna

20180129_054326610_iOSrevised.jpg

So we missed a good 45 minutes to an hour of DAH. Totally my fault. BUT it was great. As we walked down an empty Frontierland to Big Thunder, I told my daughter of being at WDW after 9/11 in February and it being this empty. It was a cool morning and the park as empty. Those days are long gone at this point. We got a great picture on the way out

20180127_155228051_iOSrevised.jpg

This is a fun event - if you want to experience an empty park with no lines at all, this a great ticket. It's expensive and an extra hard ticket. But you can pack more than an entire day of MK into a few hours. Make a couple of FP before it starts, then ride to your heart's delight.

Our mistake was doing to much day 1. We should have prioritize this...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter