Here Now-When Did It Become Ok?

This has been an interesting discussion. I don’t think it has to be all or nothing (restrooms only to change versus change baby anywhere and everywhere).

OP, I think your point about sanitation is key and I 100% agree with you. Changing in line where human waste can be spread and you can’t wash up after changing is just a recipe for spreading illness. I have had to leave the line more than once due to diaper disasters and it’s just something you have to deal with when you have little one in diapers in a public space. You can always wait in line again after changing the diaper elsewhere and properly washing up. Some people are even nice enough to suggest you get back in line where you were.

A few years back we were waiting for a table at Beaches & Cream. We saw a parent change their toddler's diaper right on top of one of the tables immediately outside of the restaurant. And, for lack of better words, it was not a clean diaper. They did use a changing pad, but the toddler had his legs bent so the bottoms of his sneakers were on the table top too. Years later and I still think of that whenever we go to Beaches & Cream. Not the thing you want to see where people sit and eat :crazy2:

(I did alert a CM so they could sanitize it)

I’ve never changed a diaper in line, and I don’t think I will. But as rabid as some people can be about refusing to let people rejoin the line regardless of the situation, I can see the temptation :sad2:.

A few years back we were waiting for a table at Beaches & Cream. We saw a parent change their toddler's diaper right on top of one of the tables immediately outside of the restaurant. And, for lack of better words, it was not a clean diaper. They did use a changing pad, but the toddler had his legs bent so the bottoms of his sneakers were on the table top too. Years later and I still think of that whenever we go to Beaches & Cream. Not the thing you want to see where people sit and eat :crazy2:

See, that’s really gross. Why does anyone think that’s OK????? I don’t think there is a need to ever change a diaper on top of a table where people eat, even if it’s just wet.

And that is why I bring Clorox wipes to Disney. Lord knows what the people have been doing at the table before I sat at it.

See, that’s really gross. Why does anyone think that’s OK????? I don’t think there is a need to ever change a diaper on top of a table where people eat, even if it’s just wet.

And that is why I bring Clorox wipes to Disney. Lord knows what the people have been doing at the table before I sat at it.

Agree! Changing a diaper on a table is never okay.

While we were there in April, the line for the family bathroom was SO long in Epcot, I changed DD( 7 mos) pee diaper in her stroller. We waited for 20 minutes, she already had the beginning of a diaper rash and I wasn't going to wait longer. We went to a semi out of sight area, I put the stroller back down, pulled the stroller top down to keep her out of any passer by line of sight, and used sanitizing gel on my hands. I wouldn't have had it been a number 2 diaper. I didn't want to leave my 9 year old DS by himself outside the women's restroom to change DD in there.....already a few babies waiting for changing table in there. I understand the need to be sanitary, but for me at that time keeping both children safe within my sight weighed out. I doubt I would have changed her 'out in public' or on a bench others touch. I think the key is to try to be as clean and sanitary as possible as we never know the comfort level of those around us.

While we were there in April, the line for the family bathroom was SO long in Epcot, I changed DD( 7 mos) pee diaper in her stroller. We waited for 20 minutes, she already had the beginning of a diaper rash and I wasn't going to wait longer. We went to a semi out of sight area, I put the stroller back down, pulled the stroller top down to keep her out of any passer by line of sight, and used sanitizing gel on my hands. I wouldn't have had it been a number 2 diaper. I didn't want to leave my 9 year old DS by himself outside the women's restroom to change DD in there.....already a few babies waiting for changing table in there. I understand the need to be sanitary, but for me at that time keeping both children safe within my sight weighed out. I doubt I would have changed her 'out in public' or on a bench others touch. I think the key is to try to be as clean and sanitary as possible as we never know the comfort level of those around us.

I think what you did is totally fine. Back in the day I was involved with more than one stroller diaper change. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

While DW and I absolutely prefer to use the changing table in restrooms, sometimes it’s not feasible. I’ve changed plenty of diapers in our stroller while at WDW. Outside of Disney I’ve used everything from the trunk of an SUV to the passenger seat of a car to a bench and the ground. I really have no problem with people changing diapers anywhere, with the exception of tables and chairs in “eating areas,” so long as they clean up after themselves.

An example of the restroom not being feasible is actually one of our Disney horror stories. I apologize if it triggers anyone reading it. Back in August of 2012 our oldest was around 9 months. While waiting for my BIL and his wife to get off splash mountain it started to rain without warning. We found shelter under a small overhang with our DS in his stroller and about 20 or so strangers. After a couple of minutes we got a faint whiff of that special smell so I bent over and checked his diaper from the side. Didn’t see anything so I didn’t think anything of it. After another minute or so the smell became stronger so DW suggested I check again. This time I checked the other side and all I could mutter was “wow.” It was EVERYWHERE. The group of strangers we had huddled with looked on in disbelief as we peeled his romper off and threw it directly in the garbage. They stayed completely silent, I can only imagine what they were thinking, as they watched us battle the tempest and subsequently bathe DS in a puddle, while using a whole package of wipes to “try” to salvage our stroller. I’m fairly certain we became the subject of a thread on these very boards but hey, sometimes IT happens.

To strip your child bare to change their diaper/underwear when you are waiting in lines for rides or waiting to be seated at a restaurant?
I understand it’s hot & crowded, but really? We were just in the waiting area for Country Bears & saw parents lay their 2 toddlers down on the benches to freshen up their diapers.

Were you in a time machine, LOL? Because that was me, 22 years ago - it was just one toddler with a #2, but it was on a bench, out in the park. This was before the added bathrooms, BTW. Changing pad was probably used (I don't remember after 22 years) and there were wipes, and everything was disposed of. It was our first trip, we were waiting with the crowd for the next show, and I managed to change her and get back to the rest of the family before they opened the doors.

While DW and I absolutely prefer to use the changing table in restrooms, sometimes it’s not feasible. I’ve changed plenty of diapers in our stroller while at WDW. Outside of Disney I’ve used everything from the trunk of an SUV to the passenger seat of a car to a bench and the ground. I really have no problem with people changing diapers anywhere, with the exception of tables and chairs in “eating areas,” so long as they clean up after themselves.

An example of the restroom not being feasible is actually one of our Disney horror stories. I apologize if it triggers anyone reading it. Back in August of 2012 our oldest was around 9 months. While waiting for my BIL and his wife to get off splash mountain it started to rain without warning. We found shelter under a small overhang with our DS in his stroller and about 20 or so strangers. After a couple of minutes we got a faint whiff of that special smell so I bent over and checked his diaper from the side. Didn’t see anything so I didn’t think anything of it. After another minute or so the smell became stronger so DW suggested I check again. This time I checked the other side and all I could mutter was “wow.” It was EVERYWHERE. The group of strangers we had huddled with looked on in disbelief as we peeled his romper off and threw it directly in the garbage. They stayed completely silent, I can only imagine what they were thinking, as they watched us battle the tempest and subsequently bathe DS in a puddle, while using a whole package of wipes to “try” to salvage our stroller. I’m fairly certain we became the subject of a thread on these very boards but hey, sometimes IT happens.

I would have completely empathized with you. When my youngest was about one, she had a massive blowout at an aquarium. I was able to use the changing station, but her clothes were tossed because I wasn't carrying that mess around for the day. I had to strip her bare and went through a ridiculous amount of wipes trying to clean her off. One woman came in, saw naked kid, and said, "that doesn't look good." Not sure if it was intended as criticism or sympathy. I had it all over my shirt, as well, because I was holding her when the blowout happened. Not fun at all.

A few years back, we were at Hershey Park and someone changed her kid's diaper on the bench where my 13-year-old was sitting. She's changed several diapers in her day, but she thought it was completely rude.

I feel for you...at the time 7 month old had a blow out in his stroller at a restaurant while we were eating breakfast. Luckily we were basically done and the restaurant was in our hotel. The thing that saved the stroller was a spit rag laying beside the side of the diaper that blew out. The spit rag was toast, but the stroller was relatively unscathed. But man, it was nasty, and if the same thing happened in your situation, I think we would have done close to the same thing.

A couple of visits ago I was waiting for my family to ride 7DMT sitting on the cement wall as you enter new Fantasyland. After a few minutes a family of 5 - Mom, Dad, Boy about 6, Boy about 4, Baby in stroller come next to me. Mom proceeds to haul baby out of stroller and lay her on the cement wall right next to me. Mom holds baby down, while Dad gets fresh diaper out of stroller and starts changing baby dirty diaper. Meanwhile, boys are dancing right in front of me with the oldest one holding a churro high in the air and not letting his brother have any of it. Suddenly, the Dad stopped changing the baby and reached up, grabbed the churro, broke it in half and gave half to each boy without stopping to wash his hands! I physically gagged and made eye-contact with the Dad. He had the decency to look embarrassed as I very quickly left the scene. I will never forget it!

A couple of visits ago I was waiting for my family to ride 7DMT sitting on the cement wall as you enter new Fantasyland. After a few minutes a family of 5 - Mom, Dad, Boy about 6, Boy about 4, Baby in stroller come next to me. Mom proceeds to haul baby out of stroller and lay her on the cement wall right next to me. Mom holds baby down, while Dad gets fresh diaper out of stroller and starts changing baby dirty diaper. Meanwhile, boys are dancing right in front of me with the oldest one holding a churro high in the air and not letting his brother have any of it. Suddenly, the Dad stopped changing the baby and reached up, grabbed the churro, broke it in half and gave half to each boy without stopping to wash his hands! I physically gagged and made eye-contact with the Dad. He had the decency to look embarrassed as I very quickly left the scene. I will never forget it!

I think different standards apply within family groups. It is ok to clean your own kids face with your spit, lol, but would be disgusting to do it to someone else. We're wired to be disgusted by human waste because of the small possibility of infection, but if it's your kid and you know they're perfectly healthy, then you probably have more harmful micro-stuffz on your hand after you touch a public doorknob than after changing a baby's diaper (remember that for a long time urine was used to clean wounds, because, while not sterile, it's relatively clean, and before indoor plumbing it was presumably cleaner than using stagnant water or no water at all if it wasn't available. Manure has been used in agriculture for years - it's only dangerous if it comes from someone with an infection of some sort.)

I’ve read of people changing diapers on table tops at FTBBQ. Now that’s disgusting !!

That's what I was going to say!

I think we actually pulled off wet shorts/undies at the fountains in Epcot, and put on dry ones, without going to the bathroom.
I think for the most part, kids in undies getting fresh bottoms, outside of the bathroom wouldn't really bother me. Changing diapers in a bench or inline is getting a little more *personal* than I might like, but I too, have seen parents changing diapers on a table in a restaurant. :faint: Nothing about that is okay.

Have seen this a number of times at small park I work at. Even had a mother bring out potty and have her go under the table. She then placed bag of pee in thrash can.

When we were heading back through HEA for one last ride (against the tide of the crowd) we saw people kind of going around one spot. It looked like someone was on the ground so we kind of headed over there to see if it was someone that needed help in the insanity of thousands of people leaving...nope, it was someone changing a diaper (of a very, very young baby) on the ground in the middle of thousands of people clearing out after the fireworks. At least get over to the side, people!

We changed our kids in line and since Disney didn't have a trash can near, I just threw the soiled diaper in the bushes. This lady on a EVC started screaming at me! I couldn't go anywhere since we were in line so I just ignored her. I looked back and she was over the rail trying to grab the diaper and got stuck! I started feeling bad and my wife told me I better help her so I tried to pull her back but it was hard! She was really stuck! So I grabbed her leg and started pulling. I mean I was pulling her leg really hard! Just like I am pulling your leg :) Carry on :P

The bathrooms at Disney have one changing station. Not to mention, changing stations are extremely germy and getting to the baby care center isn't always practical.

We have been to Disney many times and I stopped using the restrooms to change diapers after waiting over 15 minutes (I timed it) for a grandma to change a diaper at HS two years ago. She was going as slow as possible and making sure to make a huge scene about how she was the one who got to change the diaper. I'm sure she was an excited grandma who was reliving motherhood, but her complete lack of awareness (or care) about the line of people waiting to use the one changing station was ridiculous. She even made a phone call with baby laying on the changing table while several of us waited in line to use the changing station! Several people made comments and she just didn't care. The self absorption of some Disney guests is far more bothersome than someone changing a wet diaper on a bench.

After that, I solely use our stroller for diaper changes. I find a secluded spot, pull the stroller awning all the way down, lay the seat back, and change the diaper. Easy and quick. My children are much less exposed this way (the changing stations are in full view of anyone walking in the public restroom). When finished, we go wash hands.

Personally I wouldn't use a bench (I don't want my children exposed like that) but as others have said, if someone uses a changing pad it doesn't bother me.
That’s a good idea about the stroller. When we are on the go at home we do it in the car once it’s parked rather than use most public bathrooms.

The way you do it in your own personal stroller with a changing pad is fine. But on a bench that the public will be using, remembering that not everyone uses a change pad and washes their hands after.:crazy2: I've had to wash the change pad numerous times because the baby peed after opening the diaper and it wasn't contained. I then wiped down the change station. I also wipe the change station before changing the baby too.
Wouldn’t do it on a public surface either, but we carry puppy pads instead of the usual changing pad for that reason. I throw it away after each change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter