Here Now-When Did It Become Ok?

For me .. it depends .. was it on the BARE bench? We always carry a changing pad in our diaper bag for our little one .. and ESPECIALLY use it on changing tables in airports/restaurants, etc.

If the baby didn't drop "a bomb", I don't see any issue with freshening the diaper up in a public place WITH the use of some changing pad so bare bottoms don't touch a surface (for both the babies' and publics sake). Dump the diaper and wash with germ gel as needed. Sometimes you need to take advantage of the time you have.
If a bomb was dropped, ya .. get out of line .. it's going to be messy and stink. Not really good for a public place.
Bare bench, bare bottom, no hand sanitizer that I noticed :confused3

The bathrooms at Disney have one changing station. Not to mention, changing stations are extremely germy and getting to the baby care center isn't always practical.

We have been to Disney many times and I stopped using the restrooms to change diapers after waiting over 15 minutes (I timed it) for a grandma to change a diaper at HS two years ago. She was going as slow as possible and making sure to make a huge scene about how she was the one who got to change the diaper. I'm sure she was an excited grandma who was reliving motherhood, but her complete lack of awareness (or care) about the line of people waiting to use the one changing station was ridiculous. She even made a phone call with baby laying on the changing table while several of us waited in line to use the changing station! Several people made comments and she just didn't care. The self absorption of some Disney guests is far more bothersome than someone changing a wet diaper on a bench.

After that, I solely use our stroller for diaper changes. I find a secluded spot, pull the stroller awning all the way down, lay the seat back, and change the diaper. Easy and quick. My children are much less exposed this way (the changing stations are in full view of anyone walking in the public restroom). When finished, we go wash hands.

Personally I wouldn't use a bench (I don't want my children exposed like that) but as others have said, if someone uses a changing pad it doesn't bother me.
Using your own personal stroller this way is fine. Using a public bench in a room full of people is not & I agree, I’m not into the exposing of the bare bottomed kids either.
Bathroom related “stuff” should stay in the bathroom.

I do my business in the bathroom and don't want strangers seeing me naked. I afford that same level of privacy to my kids as much as I can, whether they are old enough to understand and want privacy or not. I do wish changing tables wouldn't be so out in the open in restrooms, but I'd much rather change a baby/toddler there than in the middle of a theme park full of people.

The only other places I have ever and would ever change a baby (outside a restroom or house) have been in my van with a changing mat when there was not a restroom nearby and my body is blocking him from being seen by passersby (though I'm still parked away from passersby anyway). I've also done the stroller thing a couple of times at a craft show or carnival that only had port a potties, as changing an infant in a port a potty is both :crazy2: and dang near impossible to pull off. I still find a secluded spot somewhere, put the sunshade up, etc. I always carry hand sanitizer, so that's never an issue.

If a bathroom is not available, at least find a spot away from people and try to be as inconspicuous as possible. I understand that facilities aren't always available, but there's still no excuse in my book for changing a diaper so publicly. With all the people taking photos of everyone and everything in the parks these days, why would anyone want to risk their child ending up naked in a stranger's photo?

My brother's graduation was a couple months ago at a local park. There was a bathroom pretty close, but a distant relative still thought it appropriate to change 2 toddlers' diapers on the seat of the picinic table in the middle of the pavilion-- at the same table that people were eating at and about 5 feet away from the tables of food. :crazy2:. The table quickly emptied out and I didn't see anyone eating after that.

I do my business in the bathroom and don't want strangers seeing me naked. I afford that same level of privacy to my kids as much as I can, whether they are old enough to understand and want privacy or not. I do wish changing tables wouldn't be so out in the open in restrooms, but I'd much rather change a baby/toddler there than in the middle of a theme park full of people.

The only other places I have ever and would ever change a baby (outside a restroom or house) have been in my van with a changing mat when there was not a restroom nearby and my body is blocking him from being seen by passersby (though I'm still parked away from passersby anyway). I've also done the stroller thing a couple of times at a craft show or carnival that only had port a potties, as changing an infant in a port a potty is both :crazy2: and dang near impossible to pull off. I still find a secluded spot somewhere, put the sunshade up, etc. I always carry hand sanitizer, so that's never an issue.

If a bathroom is not available, at least find a spot away from people and try to be as inconspicuous as possible. I understand that facilities aren't always available, but there's still no excuse in my book for changing a diaper so publicly. With all the people taking photos of everyone and everything in the parks these days, why would anyone want to risk their child ending up naked in a stranger's photo?

My brother's graduation was a couple months ago at a local park. There was a bathroom pretty close, but a distant relative still thought it appropriate to change 2 toddlers' diapers on the seat of the picinic table in the middle of the pavilion-- at the same table that people were eating at and about 5 feet away from the tables of food. :crazy2:. The table quickly emptied out and I didn't see anyone eating after that.

I like you.

I often changed diapers in places other then a restroom. My oldest is 11 month older then my twins. If 1 child needed to be changed and my husband was with me, a regular bathroom with a changing table works, but taking a quad stroller (extra seat for diaper bags) into a restroom is sometimes not possible. Sometimes the line for family restrooms is just too long and making 3 separate trips to the restroom is just too time consuming. Now, I would never change a child on a table or other surface where others use for eating. I might do it using a changing pad or blanket on a bench or on the ground, but I always moved away from others to a quiet spot. I wouldn't have been able to watch my other kids if I didn't. I had wipes for my hands. That being said, I didn't take my kids to WDW until they were 6,6 & 7. The thought of taking 3 diapered kids to WDW did not sound like fun. I refused to take them on a cruise at that age as well. They are so close in age it just made sense to wait until we could all enjoy it. On outings we did take, I often envied large families where grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncles, cousins or older siblings who could help watch the younger kids or run errands. Once I had to pee in a handicap stall with the door open because I couldn't fit the quad stroller inside. It's not fair to say stay home until you have help because for me, my only help was my husband....who had a job. Soon we are taking them to WDW for the second time. They are teens now and don't require any help in the bathroom. We just returned from our first trip to France and Spain. There were women of all ages without tops on the beach and naked babies and toddlers. That's not the custom here, but seeing a naked baby wouldn't get a second glance from us. It's only the sanitary aspect that bothers me and that can be solved by moving away, using a pad, hand wipes and not changing near food or places where people eat.

The bathrooms at Disney have one changing station. Not to mention, changing stations are extremely germy and getting to the baby care center isn't always practical.

We have been to Disney many times and I stopped using the restrooms to change diapers after waiting over 15 minutes (I timed it) for a grandma to change a diaper at HS two years ago. She was going as slow as possible and making sure to make a huge scene about how she was the one who got to change the diaper. I'm sure she was an excited grandma who was reliving motherhood, but her complete lack of awareness (or care) about the line of people waiting to use the one changing station was ridiculous. She even made a phone call with baby laying on the changing table while several of us waited in line to use the changing station! Several people made comments and she just didn't care. The self absorption of some Disney guests is far more bothersome than someone changing a wet diaper on a bench.

After that, I solely use our stroller for diaper changes. I find a secluded spot, pull the stroller awning all the way down, lay the seat back, and change the diaper. Easy and quick. My children are much less exposed this way (the changing stations are in full view of anyone walking in the public restroom). When finished, we go wash hands.

Personally I wouldn't use a bench (I don't want my children exposed like that) but as others have said, if someone uses a changing pad it doesn't bother me.
This was always my plan of attack. I am a mom to twins so going to the washroom involved balancing two babies. The stroller was so quick and easy. It was clean because it was ours. But maybe I offended many people.

This was always my plan of attack. I am a mom to twins so going to the washroom involved balancing two babies. The stroller was so quick and easy. It was clean because it was ours. But maybe I offended many people.
Personal stroller is fine, I'm sure many others have done it when not bathrooms were around. I know I have. But I did it in as much privacy as possible, and not openly on a bench other people would be using after me.

Personal stroller is fine, I'm sure many others have done it when not bathrooms were around. I know I have. But I did it in as much privacy as possible, and not openly on a bench other people would be using after me.

That's the whole thing. I mean make an effort to conceal you child's genitals and to keep their pee and poo away from others.

I mean do these same people who change their kids right out there for the world to see take a dump in the Mickey bushes as well?

We used our stroller numerous times for diaper changes. Not stinky diapers though and we tried to wheel the stroller to an out of the way location. The restroom baby changing stations completely gross me out. I avoided them at all costs. When we were able to use the baby care centers though we did, as they were much nicer. Lots more room, no rushing, kept immaculately clean.

In line at a ride? That's a bit much.

We used our stroller numerous times for diaper changes. Not stinky diapers though and we tried to wheel the stroller to an out of the way location. The restroom baby changing stations completely gross me out. I avoided them at all costs. When we were able to use the baby care centers though we did, as they were much nicer. Lots more room, no rushing, kept immaculately clean.

In line at a ride? That's a bit much.
As Disney parks evolve, maybe it is time for them to consider larger baby care centers strategically placed through the parks to accommodate the needs of their diapered guests.
The Disney of today is not the Disney of 1971,1982,1989 or 1998 & families need more accessible, more spacious places to change their kids.
I totally agree with a previous poster saying 1 changing station & a very long line does not work.

As Disney parks evolve, maybe it is time for them to consider larger baby care centers strategically placed through the parks to accommodate the needs of their diapered guests.
The Disney of today is not the Disney of 1971,1982,1989 or 1998 & families need more accessible, more spacious places to change their kids.
I totally agree with a previous poster saying 1 changing station & a very long line does not work.

I don’t think that long lines are common, though. I took a diapered child last year for 5 days and I think I only waited to change him twice, and both times was behind one other person. Some of the larger restrooms have more than one changing station. If the line were seriously 15 minutes, I’d go to a different bathroom or hand the kid to my husband. There’s no way I’d wait 15 minutes to change a diaper.

I never did figure out how to change my kid in the stroller. Oh well.

I don’t think that long lines are common, though. I took a diapered child last year for 5 days and I think I only waited to change him twice, and both times was behind one other person. Some of the larger restrooms have more than one changing station. If the line were seriously 15 minutes, I’d go to a different bathroom or hand the kid to my husband. There’s no way I’d wait 15 minutes to change a diaper.

We had a similar experience with not having to wait for changing tables last year. We were there for 13 days and waited once, behind one mom.

OH, I Love this Idea, hand baby off to DAD to use the Change station in the men's room with no lineup!!!

OH, I Love this Idea, hand baby off to DAD to use the Change station in the men's room with no lineup!!!

We do this pretty regularly. So much easier ;) We've also changed diapers in the rear of my SUV, in the stroller, and on a blanket behind a tree at a park. I wouldn't say I'd never do it in line or waiting for show, because there may be a situation where it might be necessary, however we always have a pad, blanket, and sanitizer or sanitizing wipes. I'd also try to avoid that situation.
However, I don't know that parent's story of why they changed right there and then, so I would try not to be quick to judge. I, personally, would probably not do that, but who knows, there may have been something going on that we don't know about.

We do this pretty regularly. So much easier ;) We've also changed diapers in the rear of my SUV, in the stroller, and on a blanket behind a tree at a park. I wouldn't say I'd never do it in line or waiting for show, because there may be a situation where it might be necessary, however we always have a pad, blanket, and sanitizer or sanitizing wipes. I'd also try to avoid that situation.
However, I don't know that parent's story of why they changed right there and then, so I would try not to be quick to judge. I, personally, would probably not do that, but who knows, there may have been something going on that we don't know about.
IDK either-there is literally a bathroom right there outside of Country Bears & there was 15+ minutes until showtime.
I had time to leave the waiting area & go get a Dole Whip, bring it back & eat it up.

At Disney, I use the bathrooms and changing tables. However, I do exactly this with our stroller at a local amusement park where the bathrooms are really gross. I quite regularly use the back of our SUV with a changing pad. I find that cleaner than most bathrooms. Of course, I keep hand sanitizer in my diaper bag.

I totally understand your issue with the one changing station in the bathrooms at Disney. I, too, have had to wait for long periods to use them. I will often go to the baby care centers if we are nearby because they have lots of changing tables. On our last trip, I did notice that the newer Disney bathrooms typically have a few more changing stations.

Last edited:

I think you got really luckily as I always seemed to be waiting for a changing station. I only waited that long because I figured surely the person would finish up in less time than going to another restroom and waiting in the line there. In hindsight I could have handed baby to my husband but at the time he was taking care of other things while I took care of the diaper.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!