Here Now-When Did It Become Ok?

DISNEYSQUIRRELS

DIS Veteran
To strip your child bare to change their diaper/underwear when you are waiting in lines for rides or waiting to be seated at a restaurant?
I understand it’s hot & crowded, but really? We were just in the waiting area for Country Bears & saw parents lay their 2 toddlers down on the benches to freshen up their diapers.

To strip your child bare to change their diaper/underwear when you are waiting in lines for rides or waiting to be seated at a restaurant?
I understand it’s hot & crowded, but really? We were just in the waiting area for Country Bears & saw parents lay their 2 toddlers down on the benches to freshen up their diapers.

Did they throw the soiled diapers on the ground when finished?
We witness that happen once at MK, even though a trash can was steps away!!
Some people are lazy and gross!

My son is (almost) out of diapers (still working on getting #2 in the toilet), but it wouldn’t have ever occurred to me to change him on a public surface...especially at a place like Disney, where there are plenty of restrooms in which to change your child! Also, leaving a used diaper (or any trash, for that matter) on the ground) is gross. People have no manners.

Did they throw the soiled diapers on the ground when finished?
We witness that happen once at MK, even though a trash can was steps away!!
Some people are lazy and gross!

My son is (almost) out of diapers (still working on getting #2 in the toilet), but it wouldn’t have ever occurred to me to change him on a public surface...especially at a place like Disney, where there are plenty of restrooms in which to change your child! Also, leaving a used diaper (or any trash, for that matter) on the ground) is gross. People have no manners.
The father did throw it in the trash, but we’ve seen multiple people changing their kids right in line.
Still very nasty.
Take your child to the restroom, change them, wash your hands, proceed with vacation.
This is the ONLY way!

Honestly as long as I'm n ot having to smell it I couldn't care less where someone changes their kids diaper.
In today's society people are always on the go and lean to change kids on the go.
If you thought that was unacceptable I wonder how you'd feel about my sister asking a family for a diaper on COP because my 5 year old niece couldn't hold it any longer.
My sister had learned the hard way a few years prior to that that you cannot just walk out of COP without consequence when my other niece had to pee.

Honestly as long as I'm n ot having to smell it I couldn't care less where someone changes their kids diaper.
In today's society people are always on the go and lean to change kids on the go.
If you thought that was unacceptable I wonder how you'd feel about my sister asking a family for a diaper on COP because my 5 year old niece couldn't hold it any longer.
My sister had learned the hard way a few years prior to that that you cannot just walk out of COP without consequence when my other niece had to pee.
That’s a totally different situation, if you have little kids in your life, we’ve all been there if they can’t hold it or have an accident. That’s life & as the parent, auntie/uncle, grandparent you do the best you can.
I’m talking about a diaper wearing child who is put on a bench, seat or on the ground in public & their dirty drawers are stripped off to be changed right there out in the open like it’s the pre-show.

Last edited:
We use the bathroom for changes, but personally, I wouldn't care if others used a bench or something for a #1 change (not a #2, obviously). The way you change a diaper--sliding the fresh one under, then pulling the wet one off on top and folding it up, you are not going to get pee on any surface.

I've told this story before but it's worth a retell..
About 8 years ago we were in line at the Contemporary resort waiting for a monorail and a mother in front of us whipped a POTTY out of her giant tote bag and had her child sit on it ..in line..for the monorail.. at the Contemporary. Then she just stood there and held it until the monorail came. We were in a different car (thankfully) so I have no idea what she did with it.
I get it.. we have to be consistent with toilet training but that was just too much.:crazy2:

For me .. it depends .. was it on the BARE bench? We always carry a changing pad in our diaper bag for our little one .. and ESPECIALLY use it on changing tables in airports/restaurants, etc.

If the baby didn't drop "a bomb", I don't see any issue with freshening the diaper up in a public place WITH the use of some changing pad so bare bottoms don't touch a surface (for both the babies' and publics sake). Dump the diaper and wash with germ gel as needed. Sometimes you need to take advantage of the time you have.
If a bomb was dropped, ya .. get out of line .. it's going to be messy and stink. Not really good for a public place.

For me .. it depends .. was it on the BARE bench? We always carry a changing pad in our diaper bag for our little one .. and ESPECIALLY use it on changing tables in airports/restaurants, etc.

If the baby didn't drop "a bomb", I don't see any issue with freshening the diaper up in a public place WITH the use of some changing pad so bare bottoms don't touch a surface (for both the babies' and publics sake). Dump the diaper and wash with germ gel as needed. Sometimes you need to take advantage of the time you have.
If a bomb was dropped, ya .. get out of line .. it's going to be messy and stink. Not really good for a public place.
But in Disney, there are bathrooms everywhere. If it is just pee, then it could wait a few minutes anyhow. Does the rest of the party never need to stop and use the bathroom?

There is also a risk. I've had a baby shoot #2 across the room (I don't even know how that happened). I've also had both girl and boy babies decide to pee the moment the diaper is taken off. Luckily, these incidents happened at home.

I personally wouldn't do it but I don't care if someone else changes their child on a bench. I would hope they have hand sanitizer to use when they are done!

The bathrooms at Disney have one changing station. Not to mention, changing stations are extremely germy and getting to the baby care center isn't always practical.

We have been to Disney many times and I stopped using the restrooms to change diapers after waiting over 15 minutes (I timed it) for a grandma to change a diaper at HS two years ago. She was going as slow as possible and making sure to make a huge scene about how she was the one who got to change the diaper. I'm sure she was an excited grandma who was reliving motherhood, but her complete lack of awareness (or care) about the line of people waiting to use the one changing station was ridiculous. She even made a phone call with baby laying on the changing table while several of us waited in line to use the changing station! Several people made comments and she just didn't care. The self absorption of some Disney guests is far more bothersome than someone changing a wet diaper on a bench.

After that, I solely use our stroller for diaper changes. I find a secluded spot, pull the stroller awning all the way down, lay the seat back, and change the diaper. Easy and quick. My children are much less exposed this way (the changing stations are in full view of anyone walking in the public restroom). When finished, we go wash hands.

Personally I wouldn't use a bench (I don't want my children exposed like that) but as others have said, if someone uses a changing pad it doesn't bother me.

The bathrooms at Disney have one changing station. Not to mention, changing stations are extremely germy and getting to the baby care center isn't always practical.

We have been to Disney many times and I stopped using the restrooms to change diapers after waiting over 15 minutes (I timed it) for a grandma to change a diaper at HS two years ago. She was going as slow as possible and making sure to make a huge scene about how she was the one who got to change the diaper. I'm sure she was an excited grandma who was reliving motherhood, but her complete lack of awareness (or care) about the line of people waiting to use the one changing station was ridiculous. She even made a phone call with baby laying on the changing table while several of us waited in line to use the changing station! Several people made comments and she just didn't care. The self absorption of some Disney guests is far more bothersome than someone changing a wet diaper on a bench.

After that, I solely use our stroller for diaper changes. I find a secluded spot, pull the stroller awning all the way down, lay the seat back, and change the diaper. Easy and quick. My children are much less exposed this way (the changing stations are in full view of anyone walking in the public restroom). When finished, we go wash hands.

Personally I wouldn't use a bench (I don't want my children exposed like that) but as others have said, if someone uses a changing pad it doesn't bother me.
The way you do it in your own personal stroller with a changing pad is fine. But on a bench that the public will be using, remembering that not everyone uses a change pad and washes their hands after.:crazy2: I've had to wash the change pad numerous times because the baby peed after opening the diaper and it wasn't contained. I then wiped down the change station. I also wipe the change station before changing the baby too.

I only went once while DD was in diapers and i also used my stroller for the reasons stated above.

The way you do it in your own personal stroller with a changing pad is fine. But on a bench that the public will be using, remembering that not everyone uses a change pad and washes their hands after.:crazy2: I've had to wash the change pad numerous times because the baby peed after opening the diaper and it wasn't contained. I then wiped down the change station. I also wipe the change station before changing the baby too.

I’ve read of people changing diapers on table tops at FTBBQ. Now that’s disgusting !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!