Here is what is left of the Great Movie Ride

A lot of people liked it. The last few years before it closed it had a longer or comparable wait to TOT and RNR roller coaster. Disney has got to remember that not all people like thrill rides and getting rid of the more mellow classical rides will discourage certain visitors from visiting WDW.

The ride replacing TGMR is a dark ride, yes?

I STILL can't believe Disney removed this ride. It was such a classic, kind of like Carousel of Progress. Biggest mistake I think Disney made. The whole ride was so different and interesting. Loved every part of it from the shooting scene to the great movie at the end. I find it hard to go by the building where it used to be. The removal of this ride is truly sad.

I get your sentiments, but, I didn't like it. Ride was useless to me, old and corny. Had no appeal whatsoever.

But that's the thing, some people like some stuff, others like other stuff. I'm sorry you are going to miss this, I hope the new attraction appeals to you in some way.

A lot of people liked it. The last few years before it closed it had a longer or comparable wait to TOT and RNR roller coaster. Disney has got to remember that not all people like thrill rides and getting rid of the more mellow classical rides will discourage certain visitors from visiting WDW.

It is certainly true that "not all people like thrill rides." I'm in my 40s - certainly not old - but man the rides at Universal beat the heck outta me. Disney is wise to avoid the extremes seen at their cross-town rival.

I get your sentiments, but, I didn't like it. Ride was useless to me, old and corny. Had no appeal whatsoever.

But that's the thing, some people like some stuff, others like other stuff. I'm sorry you are going to miss this, I hope the new attraction appeals to you in some way.

I was absolutely corny. It desperately needed an update. They could have kept many of the featured films and reworked it so that it felt more relevant. ...but the attraction doesn't fit in today's Hollywood Studios. Neither does the name! Neither does the design of the whole place!! What in the world have they done?!?!?

I just think that many people who go to Disney and love it, love the mellow rides and Disney needs to know that a lot of us older folks, don't like roller coasters, vertigo inducing rides. A lot love the mellow, slow traditional rides that Disney always had.

I just think that many people who go to Disney and love it, love the mellow rides and Disney needs to know that a lot of us older folks, don't like roller coasters, vertigo inducing rides. A lot love the mellow, slow traditional rides that Disney always had.
Well the good news then is that it's being replaced by a non-roller coaster, slow/more mellow ride.

I heard the old ride track was always going to be used. If they eliminate the movie at the end, and the stoping of cars. It’s going to be a short ride

We made a three night nostalgic trip when they announced the closing and also the energy ride. Have the tee shirt as a memory. Looking forward to seeing the new rides, but it looks like the opening will be a long time from now.4730BB2F-D5C5-40A0-9670-EE9E665F6C0C.jpeg

Last edited:
It is certainly true that "not all people like thrill rides." I'm in my 40s - certainly not old - but man the rides at Universal beat the heck outta me. Disney is wise to avoid the extremes seen at their cross-town rival.
I think Disney should actually add a few more thrill rides.

The only ride I can manage at Universal is Trolley in the Sky.

This is a late off topic remark but the day after my sisters Disney trip she wanted us to go to Hersheypark together, right after we ate she wanted to do lightning racer together. Lightning racer is a dualing wooden coaster that packs a pretty forceful punch if you ask me. She got off and told me “I’m so used to Disney where all the coasters are nice and smooth. I wasn’t ready for something like this!” But yeah sometimes I like that Disney is not trying to get me out of my comfort zone with forces, this coming from someone who is 21! Sometimes everest backwards is too much for me but I understand that feeling and thought that was a funny story to share

Last edited:
.... the day after my sisters Disney trip she wanted us to go to Hersheypark together, right after we ate she wanted to do lightning racer together. Lightning racer is a dualing wooden coaster that packs a pretty forceful punch if you ask me. She got off and told me “I’m so used to Disney where all the coasters are nice and smooth. I wasn’t ready for something like this!” ....

We were just at HP a few weeks ago and Lightning Racer gave me the worst headache, and I said the same thing! HP's metal coasters are great (especially the Great Bear, best coaster ever!) but I can't stand the jostling of their wooden ones anymore. Definitely prefer the smoothness of Disney's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter