Help with Tom Sawyer Island

DanieB

Mouseketeer
hello all... Trying to decide if we should include Tom sawyer island in our plans and if so making sure we know what we are doing.
Some background.... We have never been. Going to dlr for 3 days. My husband and I will be with our three kids ages 6, 2, and an infant.
When I hear run, climb, and caves I think our boys would like that but I'm not sure if it's more for older more independent kids. I don't want to be preventing a kid from entering a cave we can't go through or something lol. Is this a fun and safe place for littles to explore?
Also about the raft... Can we take a double stroller on it or is this a no stroller zone? From videos it looks like I won't be able to explore the island with the stroller but just thinking of getting back and forth with "baby gear".
Any advice for a mom with three young ones would be helpful! Thanks!

From my memory, most if the caves can fit an adult, but it will require some stooping and ducking. One of you can stay outside with the infant and the other can go into the caves with the 2yo. The 6yo can probably handle themselves if they understand to turn around and come back if they get scared. There might be a few caves that adults can't fit through, but I'm pretty sure they open back up in the same general area so the 6yo would still be within easy shouting distance if you let them go through alone.

Even if you decide to skip the caves altogether, you can still go to the island and let the kids go on the paths, cross the barrel bridge, take a photo by the treasure, etc. I don't know about strollers, I don't think I've ever seen someone take one across.

We LOVE TSI (Now called Pirate Lair Island). It is a must do for us. It is a great, shady escape from the hustle and bustle of the park, and it has picnic tables and nice benches if you want to take some food over and have a quiet picnic. The last time we went with the kids they were 1 and 3. We WERE allowed strollers on the raft onto the island. That was no problem. The caves were super fun for the 3 year old (though I went in with him).

Now they will be 5 and 7 and I know they will LOVE it.

Tom Sawyer Island is great for kids under 12. A place to run and not have to walk in a group, walk behind hundreds of other people, or stand in line for an hour. Places like this and Redwood Challenge at DCA give quite the respite in the always-crowded DL parks.

The caves are definitely big enough for most adults (though watch your head!). It's not really possible to get too lost as the tunnels are short and there is always at least some natural light coming in. The highlights are the bridges, especially the pontoon bridge, which is fun at any age! It's not something I'd spend a ton of time on, but it's worth checking out I think.

Last edited:
You can bring the stroller on the raft .I think you have to fold it and hold the baby though. It is difficult to maneuver the area with a stroller though. If you are planning on a carrier at all this would be a good time to wear it.

Honestly this is one of the best places in dlr park for young kids (we prefer it to toontown!). Your 2 year old will be fine there and of course your oldest. I’d recommend a pack (for the entire trip it’s ao helpful!!) especially to go on the raft and while you walk around. There’s shade and things to climb on and explore and it’s rarely busy. We always have bad luck at toontown with it being SO crowded! When my ds was 2 he loved the area!!

Our last trip in Nov they said no stroller on the raft, so I walked around with youngest asleep in stroller while hubby took 2 bigger kids.

Thank you all for the info! Sounds like this could be a lot of fun for our boys and probably a good time to use the baby carrier for our youngest. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!