Help with my Mexican Riviera Cruise

ctc917

DIS Veteran
So my DH and I are planning to go on one of the Mexican Riviera Cruises next year and I was looking for ideas and thoughts on where people flew into and out of when they went on this cruise? what would you do if you had only a few days in CA after the cruise?

We are flying from the Boston area and I was thinking of flying into San Diego at the start of the cruise and was wondering what people did in San Diego if they arrived a few days early? Did you find any nice things to do before or after your cruise in the San Diego area? or did you leave San Diego after the cruise was over and traveled towards LA? We really don't want to go to Disneyland this trip since we really only have a day and 1/2 and we were thinking we would need more time then that to really enjoy Disneyland. My son does love Amusement parks so did anyone visit any other parks in CA besides Disneyland, like Six Flags or Knotts Berry Farm? did you enjoy them?

We were also looking for suggestions for excursions for our ports too and was wondering what you loved and would do again and what you did and wouldn't do again. Any suggestions would be helpful..

Thanks

ctc917

Spend a full day at San Diego Zoo - it is amazing. I have heard their safari park is great too. SeaWorld and LEGOLAND are other options. Check out the beach on Coronado Island.

We enjoyed Las Caletas Hideaway hideaway at Puerto Vallarta. My kids liked the Dolphin Kids excursion at Cabo San Lucas, then we just took a water taxi to see the sights and stop at a beach - it was great

If you are adults, and like wine, consider renting a car and enjoying the Temecula area. Might be boring for a kid.

La Jolla is lovely as well.

Both the main San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park are great. I love the WAP's behind the scenes tours.

Touring the USS Midway is fun.

In the right season, a whale watching day sail is fun.

These are all great choices. I wouldn't take time for Legoland unless you have young children. It is definitely geared more towards the younger set.

The Midway is very cool and it is very close to where the Wonder docks. You can see it from the ship.

The whales are normally here in CA in Jan and Feb so I don't think that will be an option if you are on the Wonder in the spring or summer.

The Gas Lamp district in San Diego is also great.

We flew into LAX, spent one day at DL before driving down to San Diego. We stopped along the way in Laguna and played in the sand for a bit. Once we got to SD we were staying at the Best Western super close to the pier. We walked down there and saw the navy ships and got some dinner.
When we returned from the cruise, we had a day and half in SD and went to the zoo and Old Town. Flew home out of SAN.

As for port excursions, we did a boat tour in CAbo which took us out to the arches and then walked around the shops right near by. In Puerto Vallarta, the kids swam with dolphins. I don't think we even got off the boat in Matazlan. The port we were at was less then inviting since it was more of a commercial port then a passenger port. If I had known that I would have booked an excursion with DCL.

If you end up flying into/outof LAX look at the train that goes between LA area and downtown SD. It's a great way to travel and has wonderful scenery, free wifi and lots of room to move about. Much better then sitting in a car on the interstate IMO.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
"Readytogotodisney" is the train Amtrak or some other local train that runs that route?
Do you know if the port in Matazlan is the one that Disney always docks at or just one they did on the cruise you were on?

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains run between LA and San Diego - 12 round trips daily. Downtown San Diego Station is about 2 blocks from the cruise terminal. Surfliner trains also stop at Anaheim, about 4 miles from Disneyland, with convenient transfers by Anaheim Resort Transit buses.

We did this cruise last Sept and live in San Diego.
We got off in Mazatlan and did a city tour, we should have stayed on the boat. The "trolley" was a death trap, the city tour was two stops with "entertainers" asking for tips and then the final stop was at a jewelry store. Big waste of time and money. The city really has a LOT of work to do to be a good tourist destination again. And Yes, the port was commercial and very busy with loaders and large machinery, nothing to do within walking distance.

We've done two stops in Puerto Vallarta with Disney. The first time we did a Pirate ship sail, the Marigalante. Really fun, you load onto smaller boats from it to get to a small beach for water time and can go snorkeling from those boats also if you want. Last year we did an all inclusive resort day which was also great, Hyatt Ziva. Great service, nice restaurant, everything included, yes, alcohol too.

Both times we've been to Cabo we've done the catamaran snorkeling tour. It's really fun. They start out taking you past the arches and then sail south to Santa Maria bay. Relaxing day on the sea, some beverages on the way back, great pictures of the coast.

If you have any specific questions about San Diego, feel free to ask.

If you are looking for an amusement park that you can do in a day and a half, I think Sea World is your best bet, they have a few coasters. Knotts Berry Farm isn't worth the trek IMO and Six Flags is at least 3 hours from San Diego with decent traffic. I would spend my time in San Diego, it's a beautiful city with lots to do. I agree that the San Diego Zoo is fantastic, and there are other museums near the zoo including a science center and a natural history museum. Coronado is a fun ferry ride as well.

We are also taking a Mexican Riviera cruise in April, so I'm looking into port adventures too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter