Help with Grand Cayman ideas please

poohey

Earning My Ears
Hey Everyone - we will be in Grand Cayman on Xmas day and we had a cabana booked at Royal Palms but they emailed me to say that they will be closed that day and refunded me the cabana. Any other ideas for that day - we wanted a "do it yourself" beach day with a nice lunch (it's my bday too!) and then go back to ship early to enjoy while everyone is out on an excursion. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Our taxi driver offered to take us to a free public beach instead of Royal Palms but didn't specify which one. They may be a good resource if you are willing to wait until the day of.

I've read that one of the resorts there offers day passes.

all the beaches are free .....

a hotel can limit the access to their property but that does not extend all the way down to the water. and plenty of 7 mile beach doesn't have a hotel bordering it.

a lesser know and free beach is found at Smith's Cove, a couple of miles south of the tender landing area. Quite small and used mostly by the local crowd and few cruisers - a taxi wil know where it is. There is a small bath house with a simple shower to rinse and some picnic tables but no food/drinks/music/chairs/rentals. Good snorkeling if you have your own gear.

smith_cove_grand_cayman.png

between here and the tenders is My Bar at Sunset House. It will be open - the hotel dive resort is open and this is the bar and rest' for the resort ... it will be open. Again this is a VERY popular place with the local folks as well as the dive crowd .... been in the same location for a LONG time.
https://cayman.directory/en/yp/my-bar-at-sunset-house-food-beverages-pubs-4380

my-bar.jpg

all the beaches are free .....

a hotel can limit the access to their property but that does not extend all the way down to the water. and plenty of 7 mile beach doesn't have a hotel bordering it.

a lesser know and free beach is found at Smith's Cove, a couple of miles south of the tender landing area. Quite small and used mostly by the local crowd and few cruisers - a taxi wil know where it is. There is a small bath house with a simple shower to rinse and some picnic tables but no food/drinks/music/chairs/rentals. Good snorkeling if you have your own gear.

smith_cove_grand_cayman.png

between here and the tenders is My Bar at Sunset House. It will be open - the hotel dive resort is open and this is the bar and rest' for the resort ... it will be open. Again this is a VERY popular place with the local folks as well as the dive crowd .... been in the same location for a LONG time.
https://cayman.directory/en/yp/my-bar-at-sunset-house-food-beverages-pubs-4380

my-bar.jpg
We will be flying in to Grand Cayman next month and I must go see Smith's Cove. I don't know how I missed this on our first trip earlier this year. But I do plan to go when no cruise ships are in port. We spent like ten days in Grand Cayman earlier this year. We really got to experience the island to a full extent, but Smith's Cove is something I missed, plus for the most part, it's free!

Resortforaday, book the Westin beach day.
That beach area is beyond crowded. It's unreal. We were next door at the Villas of the Galleon for ten days this past March and was so glad we weren't at the Westin.

I will recommend a visit to the Cayman Crepier right there at the port. It's an upstairs unit with the most awesome crepes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter