help with estimating time

bekkiz

DIS Veteran
Now that I know this board is here:) I got lots of help with the painting on the community board, and now I need help w/how much time this stuff will take a handyman/construction guy:) We're down in CA and the house is in WA, so we're hiring from afar, hoping to have everything done before we move next month. This company has been recommended by my real estate agent, but I need to know how many hours to schedule him for:)

Here's the list. Everything has been bought and placed in the appropriate rooms

Replace Sink/Console/Vanity in Master Bathroom. Move mirror to downstairs bathroom. Hang mirrored medicine cabinet over sink

Replace Vanity Lights in Master Bathroom

Replace Vanity lights in upstairs guest bathroom

Remove shelving, stickers, coat hangers and anything else on walls in upstairs bedrooms and kitchen

Replace sink/vanity/console in downstairs guest bathroom. Install white moulding along walls, so that it is even with the top of the sink console.

Replace light fixtures: Dining Area, Entry Way, downstairs hallway, downstairs bedroom. Make sure to put in new bulbs

Install new ceiling light in master bedroom

Light fixtures take anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes as long as there isn't anything particularly strange about what's being removed or what's being placed.

Our last vanity demolition took about two hours, but I think that was on the high side. Placing a new vanity can be as quick as putting in a piece of furniture...with a sink install taking under an hour or two...again, it depends on whether there is anything strange about it.

I think...just looking at your list that there shouldn't be any problems with getting this work done on time as long as you have a reliable, experienced handyman who can do it. When I see that list, I say...no more than a week's work...unless you count sticker removal. There could be considerable damage to the walls from that, causing hours and hours of work!

Boy were we bad estimating time. Our bathroom has been down since April 1st. First the tile that was ordered and delivered in a week took 2weeks then they called to say it was backordered and not in til May 1st. So the tile comes in finally and we order the counter top and it comes in just at the right time, but was broken in two! So now we are stuck for another 2 weeks til the replacement comes in. Then we go to get some replacement interior doors (nothing fancy) and they have to be special ordered. Wow ....this project is just taking forever!

Ah, yes...a word to the wise. Have all materials in hand before starting a project.

That means only HALF the extra trips to Lowe's....

Counter top finally came in, doors backordered til next Tuesday! Ugh......this is taking way to long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!