Help with Ds15-personal care

happily single

Left foot first!
My sweet ds15 has several diagnosis (mild mental retardation, autism). He is able to self-care with lots of prompting. But he has alot of wiry facial hair. I have put off the thought of shaving but he just looks unkempt.

Dont laugh (or judge) but I seriously thought about using facial Nair while he sleeps. I just dont want him shaving ( or me shaving him) at this point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tame or remove facial hair?

How about an electric razor? Some of the more modern ones are very unlikely to leave nicks. My mother recently got one to help my father shave because he can't do it for himself anymore. My nephews all recommended one -- I can try to find out the model for you.

How about an electric razor? Some of the more modern ones are very unlikely to leave nicks. My mother recently got one to help my father shave because he can't do it for himself anymore. My nephews all recommended one -- I can try to find out the model for you.

Thank you lanejudy. Was hoping to avoid shaving, but I suppose an electric razor may be a better choice than a regular razor.

We have to use an electric razor for my brother too. The chemicals safe for faces just aren't strong enough for his facial hair, and tweezing or waxing isn't an option.

Once a week he gets the razor to shave. It's enough. It stays locked up when he's not using it, as he's been known to use it to give himself a haircut....

Both of my special needs DS's are in their 20's and we also use an electric razor on both. It will take a few weeks for the skin to get used to the electric razor, but it will be fine. Would never think of using a chemical remover or a regular razor. YIKES!

We also use an electric razor. DH razor shaves him on Sunday so he gets a good close one each week, then I use the electric on him each morning before he goes to his program. He tries but misses most of it (lucky him has a heavy beard) so it's not a good option for him to do on his own.

I def would not use Nair. It has a very strong smell and I doubt he would sleep right through leaving it on for the required 20 minutes or so. If he touched his face and it got in his eyes, I am sure it would really burn. How about cutting the hairs while he is watching TV. Don't know if you are talking a lot of hair. You could at least cut the ones that are the longest/most noticeable.

I agree with the other posters. I work in a facility where one of our units has patients with brain injuries. An electric razor is the safest choice.

Facial Nair ís for finer, thinner hair and I doubt it would do much to wiry facial hair. I also agree with the other posters that he would probably not sleep thru it because of the smell and the sensation. All that would make it hazardous to use.

My sweet ds15 has several diagnosis (mild mental retardation, autism). He is able to self-care with lots of prompting. But he has alot of wiry facial hair. I have put off the thought of shaving but he just looks unkempt.

Dont laugh (or judge) but I seriously thought about using facial Nair while he sleeps. I just dont want him shaving ( or me shaving him) at this point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tame or remove facial hair?

My brother will not tolerate an electric razor due to the noise. He becomes distressed and throws himself around which is dangerous and he has ended up cut. We find the best way to shaving cream and a regular razor which is just tolerates.

Also, we find that usual regular shampoo on the beard hair makes it less "wiry" and makes it softer, which helps with appearance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!