Help with dining planning (and open to suggestions for everything else)

quoo

Mouseketeer
We’re going back! The kids don’t know this time. I think we’re just gonna load them in the car in the airport early in the morning (flights at 9:40am from LGA and we’re about a 45 min drive away, so they’ll be sleepy when we load them in the car.) I’ll pack the night before and load up the car, just have them pack their usual day bags in the morning.

We’ll be there Sunday Aug 23-Sunday Aug 30. We stay at the Poly the whole time.

The boys will be 5 and very nearly 9, they have done experience with fine dining, but somehow manage to be both adventurous and pick eaters at the same time. For example they both love Kale and smoked salmon but yogurt is terribly gross. We don’t have a dining plan but if they release some sort of deal I might sign up for one.

Sunday: Saana

Wednesday: Universal (mostly for Harry Potter, I’ve never been, but I hear we can take a mears bus)

other days, I’m waiting for Extra Magic Hours to come out. So this is Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday (not Epcot on Friday though I think)

We liked the early extra morning magic hours last time. The kids are early risers, and we liked to hang out by the pool in the evening.

Animal Kingdom: Tusker House or Tiffins?Both?

Hollywood Studios:
Breakfast: Hollywood and Vine? Or just get something quick for more ride time?
Lunch: Brown Derby
Dinner: 50s prime time
I also really want to go to the catina

Epcot:
I think it may be food and wine? So maybe just Tekumi-tai for dinner

MK: skipper canteen for lunch and crystal palace for dinner? Or the opposite

at least one night I’ll try to get O reservations where we don’t have dinner plans already. I think we’ll also try to go back to MK on Saturday but otherwise take it kinda easy, so maybe a O’hana or chef mickeys breakfast that day or Sunday (our flight out is at 3 something)

And otherwise we can get quick service/ eat at the pool bar or trader Sams. Thoughts? Suggestions for fun dinners I haven’t thought of? Do 9 year old boys still like character meals?

DHS: 3 sit down meals in one day would be a lot (both in terms of food and time). I would definitely skip H&V and maybe even narrow it down to just 1.

Epcot: I assume you’re aware that the food at Takumi Tei is pretty adventurous. I would definitely check the menu and make sure you’re picky/non picky eaters will like it since it’s on the pricey side.

MK: I would probably do Crystal Palace for late breakfast/early lunch and do Skippers for dinner.

As far as 9 year olds and character meals, mine still enjoyed them at that age but every kid is different!

My children are 12 and on the cusp of 10. Both like character meals a good deal. My daughter is the older and she's always adored characters. My 9 year old never liked them when younger and to this day isn't a huge fan, but is smiling in his photos. I think he'd rather just get to the business of eating, than have to eat, pause, smile, eat, pause, smile...etc. My daughter on the other hand is trying to wave characters in to our table.

When we recently went in November, for us, H&V was a huge hit. So much so, I cancelled one other ADR to make room for a second trip to H&V, but this time for breakfast. The breakfast was far faster than the seasonal dinner we went to a few nights earlier. I don't feel it took away from ride times that morning.

As for 50s, while I love that place, my better half, well... she hates it. She hates what I like about it: the attentive "mom like" waitresses. She finds it to be totally annoying to be threatened not to get the dessert because she didn't finish a vegetable she didn't like. She finds that whole atmosphere there to be more annoying than fun. Needless to say, I haven't seen 50s in a number of visits.

Saana. Always a favorite. Though admittedly, I ran out of ADRs and didn't get it in this past trip. We enjoyed too many other choices around Epcot and I spent all my ADRs there. Having the Skyliner available made eating in and around HS and Epcot... a no brainer.

So the only places on my list we haven’t been to before are H&V, brown derby, and takumi-tai

I almost think we should do Hollywood studios twice because I want to do all the meals there. But... I think the proximity of MK to the poly will be better and it’s better for my 4 year old who thought slinky dog was way too scary last time.

we’ve been to 50’s prime time before and loved it. The kids are pretty good about eating their veggies though and thought it was funny.

I need to run the Takumi-tai menu by my husband. I think it should be okay. My kids are pretty adventurous eaters as far as vegetables go, and the meat options are largely fancier versions of what we eat at home (my 9 year olds favorite food is the duck from hmart- a Korean grocery store by us). But I should probably figure out if we do want to spend that much money and risk them having a pickier day.

Any alternative diner suggestions for the Epcot day? We aren’t big quick service people but will do a few. (With the exception of snacking at Epcot)

Oh wait. We haven’t been to chef mickeys or crystal palace either. Or Ohana’s for breakfast.

but now I’m thinking maybe I should keep the character meals for chef mickeys and O’hana the last weekend, if I can get the reservations.

I've planned three trips with young kids so far and here is some of my advice:

Unsolicited non food advice: the best parts of a Disney vacation is the anticipation and getting ready. I've done the "reveal" 6 months prior, 3 months prior and my trip in march will be a month out. 6 months was way too long. 3 months was ok. So let's see what a month looks like.

The surprise! we're getting on a plane! seems kind of... crazy just for a surprise moment in the public place of an airport. My suggestion, and it's only my opinion, is to do the reveal in June/July and have a summer of Disney all ready to go.

Also, there is a reveal thread somewhere on these boards from like a year ago with more people's opinion.

FOOD ADVICE!:

I'm just going to highlight meals that you can try that are around each park:

MK:
Chef Mickey's
Crystal Palace
BOG Breakfast or Lunch (quick service)
Cinderella's Royal Table

Everything else is just a meal in a themed restaurant (not as themed as BOG) but I'd recommend Skipper's Canteen for dinner.
Everything else, in my opinion, is either too heavy for an August trip or something you could get anywhere else.

If you want to go in the MK area that will require additional transportation try, I've heard these are all top notch.
Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge (Haven't been yet, I will in March)
Hoop De Do Review (Haven't been yet, I will in March)
Ohanas (Haven't been yet, I will in March)

Animal Kingdom, if you want a character meal, Tusker House is very very good for a buffet style meal. Totally recommend.

DHS:
Hollywood and Vine has great characters but the restaurant is dreadful (food and theming)
I've heard the Brown Derby is excellent, but I don't know if it's worth the cash with young kids. That's a judgement call for you.
I've heard people have fun at 50s prime time. Never been.

Epcot has a lot of options obviously. Garden Grill might be something to take a look at.

Thank you! I’ll check out the reveal board. I have to admit, ever since I was a kid the idea of being surprised with a Disney trip was something I was super into. I think we may start dropping hints the week of though. The kids will definitely know something us up by the time we get to airport parking. If they don’t catch the magic bands arriving in the mail.

I’m rethinking Hollywood and Vine. I think I’m gonna drop that. And maybe crystal palace, but not sure yet.. And now I’ve read about a new space restaurant in Epcot which sounds great.

I’ve heard great things about the hoop de Doo but getting there looks like so much work!

Hollywood and Vine is great for breakfast if you have Disney Junior lovers, we actually like the food as well, otherwise I would get rid of it. Your other choices look great. The menus for the booths for food and wine should be up in advance so you can browse them to see what you may like or what is safe if your kids are having a picky day. The doughnuts at the Joffrey's cart in canada are always a winner if you have a little one that isn't that into eating around the world(have one of those).
As far as the suprise, it can be really hit or miss with how that goes. I would maybe consider suprising a week out or maybe more. If you have a worrier for a kid or one that has their vacation all planned out in their heads, changing it on them can lead to disaster reveals. Look no further than YouTube for the best and worst of the reveals. The countdown aspect is fun for kids as well.

This past trip we revealed at the moment I was picking ADRs, six months earlier. I wanted their help in choosing, but it only led to "how many days" questions and some school angst as we got even closer. We found our normally straight-A daughter having some... concentration issues... as we drew nearer the date. Due to Halloween being within spitting distance of the trip too, Halloween was a big bust because they just wanted to go to WDW, not prep costumes.

We have also told them a month earlier, which felt about right, and even tried for a YouTube moment and told them same-day. It failed. They didn't believe us. My wife's video is filled with both kids acting like we were trying to pull one over on them and leave the video shoot.

My kids adore H&V, but are too old for the Disney Junior characters who visit. Well, except Goofy. They love Goofy.
Tusker House, yes.
Garden Grill is superb for characters too.

My kids loved food and wine last time. No worries there! Although... they also love donuts.

Hoop de doo would be perfect for your kids’ ages!! My entire family family loves it and DH insists that we do it every visit to WDW. Staying at the Poly would be easy transport there. Hit the monorail to the contemporary or MK and take the boat to Fort wilderness. Pioneer Hall is only a few steps away. So much fun!!! As far as character meal she at 9, absolutely!!! My adult children still love them, even the macho boys!!! O’hana is their favorite followed by chef Mickey’s. Have a great time!!!

Thank you!

Can someone point me to the reveal discussion that was mentioned? I’m failing at searching but it’s probably because I’m on mobile.

If you are willing to trek to DS, my boys absolutely loved T-Rex. I know it gets no love, but my dino loving kids adored it.

We stayed 21 nights back in October had a free dining plan so we we went to many signature restaurants. I have 4 kids aged 9, 7,3 and 1 and we actually stayed at the Poly as well, their favourite places to eat have been.

Epcot
Tepan Edo

Disney springs
Morimoto Asia and Home coming

Boardwalk area
Flying fish

They liked Gran Floridian cafe and the Wave.

They didn't like Sanaa, my eldest only enjoyed bread service there
And strangely they preferred Liberty Tree Tavern to Skipper Canteen.

We only did 1 sit down meal a day and this worked great I think 2 would have been too much.

If you are willing to trek to DS, my boys absolutely loved T-Rex. I know it gets no love, but my dino loving kids adored it.
My kids love Dinos. And I think we need some more diner options. We’ve never been to Disney springs.

Oh man. My kids loved Saana so much. Particularly the deserts. My youngest got some cookie he got to paint? And he ended up painting himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter