Help with Date Selection

Lupine Aura

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I hope I am putting this in the right place.

I am planning a January, 2020 trip with my family: myself, my husband, and three kids who will be 6, 4, and 4 (twins) at the time of travel. Most people think I'm a bit crazy to be booking a vacation so far out, but I bet you all understand :)

I can actually book resort dates this week, but am struggling to pick dates.

I am working with a TA and am hoping to avoid both marathon and MLK crowds. Although Disney has not yet released the marathon dates, based on past years it will probably be the weekend of Jan 10-12. MLK day that year is Jan 20.

Option 1: Arrive Sunday, Jan 12 (first park day would be Monday) and leave Monday, Jan 20 (MLK day)
Option 2: Arrive Saturday, Jan 11 (first park day would be Sunday) and leave Sunday, Jan 19

Both of the above assume an 8 night stay but I might shorten the trip by a day or two at either end. Since my kids will be young I'm hoping the first park day would be Magic Kingdom, but I can be flexible. Also hoping to do EMM there at some point.

I should note that while flight prices are not available yet for 2020, according to 2019 rates option 2 is much cheaper. Agent is recommending option 1 based on current data re: crowd estimates.

Thoughts? WWYD?

Thanks!

This is only 1 day difference... in terms of crowd estimates the only difference in park days you're looking at is Sunday Jan 12 vs. Sunday Jan 19. You'd think Sun Jan 19 will be busier as it's the Sunday of MLK weekend, but the agent's saying the opposite? Still, do you go to the parks all days or your trip? Maybe that Sunday could be a poolside/unwind day is you did option 1?

It seems you'd have a very small difference in park experience comparing the two options but a bigger difference in airfare. Personally I think I'd go with the most convenient/affordable flight days, especially if the better deal leaves you the next day off when you get back home, but that's just my preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter