Help with DAS!

Dmto4

Earning My Ears
We are heading to the parks next weekend. I have had numerous people tell me I should apply for DAS. I have severe reactions to peanuts/tree nuts, and latex. Just being next to them causes anaphylaxis. Lines are fine, until someone whips out a PBandJ or eats trail mix. Can someone explain the logistics of the DAS? I understand getting a return time, but what happens when the park is sold out crowded? Can you have more than one return time? Do I still need genie plus? How would that work? Are all rides DAS eligible? Thank you so much, knowledgeable people! I appreciate your help!

We are heading to the parks next weekend. I have had numerous people tell me I should apply for DAS. I have severe reactions to peanuts/tree nuts, and latex. Just being next to them causes anaphylaxis. Lines are fine, until someone whips out a PBandJ or eats trail mix. Can someone explain the logistics of the DAS? I understand getting a return time, but what happens when the park is sold out crowded? Can you have more than one return time? Do I still need genie plus? How would that work? Are all rides DAS eligible? Thank you so much, knowledgeable people! I appreciate your help!
I'm not sure if they'd give you DAS for an allergy, as you still have to wait in line even with DAS. In order to register you do a video chat within 30 days of your trip. The CM will decide if you get the DAS pass.

If you get it you are able to book 2 rides ahead of time for each day of your visit (I think it's 2.) Then on the days you're there you pick rides as you would a LL.

You choose a ride and it tells you when to get in line. Once you scan in you're in the same line as the lightening lane group. Rides that don't have lightening lane you go in through the exit, like Peter Pan. If I was ever unsure of where to go I'd just ask a CM.

All rides are DAS eligible.

You can choose rides from your phone the same way you would a lightening lane.

You have one return time at a time. Once you've scanned into a ride, you can then choose your next ride.

I don't think you'll need Genie+ if you have DAS.

I haven't been there with DAS when the park was sold out, but I imagine it just means your return times are longer.

Last edited:
As the PP stated, no one here can tell you if you qualify for a DAS. You should hop on and do the video chat to see if they accommodate people with allergies like yours. If you qualify, they will explain the process to you.

How would having DAS help with this? I'm not being snarky...I'm genuinely wondering. Because even with DAS, we are waiting in a line near strangers. I think the scenario you're talking about would be extremely rare. My son has a peanut allergy so I'm hyper aware of what people around us could be eating and I've never encountered peanuts/sandwich in line for a ride. I imagine that since this happening would be quite rare...you would just need to leave the queue for your own safety. Even in a DAS return line (which is basically the LL line) you'd need to do this.

I would be much more concerned at mealtimes since tables can be quite close.

Or even just walking through thick crowds.

I'll caveat that I'm not terribly familiar with the DL/DCA parks, however DAS is basically the same on both coasts. DAS is not granted based on diagnosis (allergies is a diagnosis); it is granted based on need. You will have to explain your needs, what about a standard queue environment is a challenge for you. I know at WDW there are signs stating no eating or drinking in the (indoor part) of queues. While admittedly there are folks who may ignore such rules, you may have a tough sell to get DAS approved. As PP mentions, there is probably a greater risk of running into or passing by or walking behind a guest with a peanut snack simply while out and about the parks or at a dining location. That's not saying DAS won't be granted for an allergy, but it definitely would not be typical.

To answer some of your specific questions about DAS:
  • DAS provides a Return Time that is approximately equal to the posted standby wait minus 10 minutes. If standby waits are long (due to large crowds) the DAS Return Time will be long, tying up your DAS for that much longer. You may return anytime after the stated Return Time but not before; it doesn't expire until the park closes for the night.
  • Only 1 active DAS Return Time at any given moment; it must be used or canceled to obtain another (see note above about long standby).
  • You may want to utilize Genie+ in addition to DAS. Some of that depends on what you want to accomplish and how quickly and how the crowds are that day.
  • Pretty much all attractions should provide accommodations. The entrance may be different at different attractions (LL or exit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter