Help with cancellation policy

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
We have never planned a trip to Universal before, nor used a travel agent. The TA I reached out explained the cancellation of a package (hotel and tickets) as - if cancelled less than 30 days before, we lose $200.

However, I was playing around with the hotel on it's own, and it said the cancellation policy was a full refund if I cancel before 5 days of the trip.
Can't I book the hotel on my own and purchase tickets through Undercover Tourist and be able to cancel the hotel much closer to the date? Downside is that the tickets are not refundable, but I can hold on to them for a future trip, correct? What are the rules with the buy 2 day, get 3 days free? I'm getting a bit confused.

Thanks!

We have never planned a trip to Universal before, nor used a travel agent. The TA I reached out explained the cancellation of a package (hotel and tickets) as - if cancelled less than 30 days before, we lose $200.

However, I was playing around with the hotel on it's own, and it said the cancellation policy was a full refund if I cancel before 5 days of the trip.
Can't I book the hotel on my own and purchase tickets through Undercover Tourist and be able to cancel the hotel much closer to the date? Downside is that the tickets are not refundable, but I can hold on to them for a future trip, correct? What are the rules with the buy 2 day, get 3 days free? I'm getting a bit confused.

Thanks!

Most of us book hotel and tickets separately for that exact flexibility (both to cancel and modify). I have always found it cheaper to do it separately as well. Read the ticket deal closely to see what the specific restrictions are- I also hold off on tickets until much closer.

Most of us book hotel and tickets separately for that exact flexibility (both to cancel and modify). I have always found it cheaper to do it separately as well. Read the ticket deal closely to see what the specific restrictions are- I also hold off on tickets until much closer.
So from what I can tell, tickets for Universal aren't date specific and you don't need a reservation. So it's possible to get blocked out of the park? This is for xmas week.

We book hotel only now since we bought season passes. currently we have a 24 hour notice on cancelling a hotel only reservation. That is Lowe’s policy. You should check season pass prices. My parents would spend $2 more for season passes than 2 day 2 park tickets Plus 3 days free. We bought Season Passes before September 30 so we got 3 months free.

We ran into this exact same situation. We originally booked a package and after seeing that the cancellation policies are different for packages vs hotels, we cancelled our package and booked hotel only. We will buy our tickets much closer to the time we leave. Especially in this day and age, we have no idea what Christmas will look like and if we will be able to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!