Help! Travel Insurance!

Sue M

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know which travel companies are "First pay"? Meaning if you have extended benefits plan (thru work) the travel insurance will not bill them to recover cost?

I always use Blue Cross travel insurance BUT they are on strike and locked out.

Made quite a few phone calls today, BCAA, Travelguard, Manulife, Co Operators, TD, CIBC, RBC, etc. All are 2nd pay- they will bill what ever insurance you have before they pay except RBC. They are first pay for first $50,000 before they go after your extended.

RBC so far is semi First Pay. Ok if you don't have a a serious incident while away, but god forbid I do, these travel insurance companies could wipe out my Extended Medical, which has a lifetime max. I know all travel insurance will bill MSP and that's ok, I'm worried about my extended.

So what do you all do? I hope by August Blue Cross strike will end, but I need 2 weeks before I leave to book my insurance to get paperwork so have a few weeks to shop around.
A bonus would be if insurance is direct pay. Sadly Pacific Blue Cross isn't. So that time I stabbed myself in the eye with mascara wand, abraided cornea, and got infected :sad2: I had to pay and file claim when I returned home!

Anyone? Just st wonder what insurance others go with? But my problem may be solved. I think insurance agents can still sell Blue Cross travel insurance. Just can't buy direct.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this thread. I'm looking for insurance for our next trip and it's amazing how difficult it is to get a good handle on everthing offered. For our last trip, we went with CAA insurance, but I never did get anything with that to read through fine print. It seems like it's so much "just trust us" until you're putting in your claim.

Thoughts...
I had read that article too, terrifying.

No, the buy now doesn't work, at least not for me, if you have to answer the health questioneer.

Plan B sucks as none of those are 1st pay. So they have the potential of wiping out my Extended benefits if I am unfortunate enough to have something happen while in Florida. Just driving around Ft Lauderdale you feel like you're risking life & limb. I95 is nuts!!

I always support our unions. Not sure if buying from the local Insurance Broker who always sells it, is not supporting union? I'm going to wait as long as possible to buy.

Thanks for posting this thread. I'm looking for insurance for our next trip and it's amazing how difficult it is to get a good handle on everthing offered. For our last trip, we went with CAA insurance, but I never did get anything with that to read through fine print. It seems like it's so much "just trust us" until you're putting in your claim.
I always used to purchase travel from BCAA until I learned about first pay and how these insurance companies work.
I just don't understand why some of these companies are allowed to operate like this. You buy travel insurance from a company, they pay BUT then they go after your extended benefits to repay themselves. And I'm paying them for this?

OP - suspect you have not received many responses b/c many aren't aware of this scenario & how this insurance niche plays out. It is too complicated for most consumers to wrap their heads around. This works to the advantage of the insurance industry. Like so many things, it's a buyer beware situation. Good luck & thank you for your posts! Your info has probably enlightened quite a few DIS'rs.

OP - suspect you have not received many responses b/c many aren't aware of this scenario & how this insurance niche plays out. It is too complicated for most consumers to wrap their heads around. This works to the advantage of the insurance industry. Like so many things, it's a buyer beware situation. Good luck & thank you for your posts! Your info has probably enlightened quite a few DIS'rs.

You're welcome. I was hoping someone knew of another First pay insurance. Blue Cross can't be the only one? It's probably not a worry if people don't have an Extended Medical plan thru work benefits.

I didn't know about this either until about 6 yrs ago. And I always get the pre existing condition insurance extra not because I have any, but more because I'm afraid of them trying to find a reason not to pay!!

Never knew about credit cards not covering 3rd party liability. Fortunately I always have an add on car rental policy thru my car insurance, ICBC. I think it's $50/yr and worth every penny.
I learned about all of this by Dis posts!

Another point about credit card insurance is that they don't always cover what you pay. We had one that promised to cover travel, but when I phoned for details, it was only up to $5000. That's nothing these days. Always phone if you don't know for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter