• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help. Son broke collarbone, we leave in 1 week

DiscussDisney

Let the magic begin!
Hi everyone,

Well, DS9 broke his collarbone last night. It was a clean break, the Doctor put him in a sling and sent us on our way. We were told the healing period is about 4 weeks.

We leave on 9/29 to Disney. Do you think it is wise to still go on vacation or should we cancel? I was thinking that he would still be able to go on many of the rides in Fantasyland.

Any advice is appreciated. TIA

Several yewars ago I had a kidney removed. The doctor knew I was a Disney fanatic and told me that if an attraction had signage indicating that people with bad backs, heart conditions, or pregnant should not ride the sign also applied to me.

I would suggest telling the doctor that you are going to Disney and what restrictions may apply.

Cheshire Figment said:
Several yewars ago I had a kidney removed. The doctor knew I was a Disney fanatic and told me that if an attraction had signage indicating that people with bad backs, heart conditions, or pregnant should not ride the sign also applied to me.

I would suggest telling the doctor that you are going to Disney and what restrictions may apply.
Those would good guidelines unless your doctor has some other specifics (which I doubt since most doctors are not Disney fanatics like you find here). There is a little red triangle icon on the maps by each ride that has a warning. You will also see signs in front or each line and before you actually board.
Whether or not to cancel depends on how your child will react to restrictions. If he'll be OK with only riding the things without restrictions- I say go for it. There are a lot of things to do even if all you do it shows.
There is a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that takes you to the official Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities. That has information about which rides have warnings.

Thanks for the responses. I checked out the Disney site. It appears that many of the rides don't have restrictions, which is good. One thing I noticed is that Soarin' had no restrictions (except for height requirement). DS was looking forward to this ride. Do you think he will be able to ride it? Thanks.

Soarin is very smooth not rough at all. I can go on it on my worst days. I agree with Sue that you need to explain to your son that there are going to be attractions he can not ride and if he can tolerate that then go for it!!!!Enjoy your trip!!!
(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
JenJen

Thanks JenJen. He is a little upset that he can't go on BTMRR and Splash, but he is still excited to go. I am hoping he gets a little extra special attention from the Characters at our character meals as that will really make him happy.

One thing you could do that would make a cute keepsake is to bring a fabric marker and have some characters sign his sling.....

DiscussDisney said:
Thanks for the responses. I checked out the Disney site. It appears that many of the rides don't have restrictions, which is good. One thing I noticed is that Soarin' had no restrictions (except for height requirement). DS was looking forward to this ride. Do you think he will be able to ride it? Thanks.
That was the only attraction I was able to ride at DCA on that trip. Everything else was banned for me.

That was a good idea about signing the sling. It might help his situation. Soarin is wonderfull you are picked up and when you make movements they are slo turns to the right or left. It is so good I am taking my sister on it. She can't handle anything like BTR or SM. If you think you want more security with your seat belt there is a loop between your legs that you can use. If you have any trouble just ask the CM for help.

Dan-tot

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter