Help - Seats are not next to each other

lovewdwfun

Mouseketeer
i am in a panic and need some reassurance or suggestions. My husband's only job for the trip was to book one flight through his rewards. He called and did, but they didn't select seats for us or tell us that we needed to select them. I realized two months out that we needed to load to Delta and there are only middle seats available. My 7 and 9 year old will be very unhappy, but that's life. My problem is my disabled 4.5 YO with Down syndrome. There is no possible way he can sit alone. He needs constant entertainment and supervision and might scream, pinch, bite, etc. he also throws his toys, so watching him on a plane is a full-time job. I can't switch flights - non refundable, plus they are now 3 times the cost and later flights would likely have the same issue. My current plan is to ask the 10 people who could switch with us if one would be willing (we have 5 seats and just really need 2 people next to each other). What's our worst case here? If no one switches, I think we can't do the flight (I honestly think my son would flip and they'd kick him out). Then we probably won't be able to get another flight with two seats next to each other and wouldn't be able to go. Had anyone had experience with Delta? Will they step in the make someone switch seats (I feel so awful to ask anyone as it is). Am I allowed to bring cash and just offer $40 to someone to switch?

I would call Delta first and explain your situation. This cannot be the first time that a mother & special needs child could potentially be separated. I would think they might try their best to help you.

As far as asking 10 people to switch goes...if someone without their own child next to them is one of the 10, I can only hope they'd be compassionate enough to switch seats. I mean, it's only a few hours. I don't have children, but I'd do it in a second. Good luck, I hope you can resolve this issue before your trip!

They want you to pay, pay, pay. That's why you don't see availability. I'm glad Delta did what they did.

Great news - we called Delta and they were able to sit our entire family together, which was a huge surprise! I guess this is a lesson that they do not show the available seats online! I was shocked they could get 5 seats together when there were not even two together online.

there are lots of preferred seats for frequent flyer members that the regular flying public doesn't have access to.
that may be what they were able to give you.
Or maybe economy comfort.
Whatever, the point is, they came through for you and that's great!!!

Delta actually is pretty good when it comes to things like this..(as much as i like to complain about them!!)

I was going to say that too....they have many "economy upgrade" seats that they charge for or then move their fliers with "status" to closer to the flights. They would prefer to sell these, but are able to use them as they see fit too. Glad it worked out for you and glad you called them.

Airlines also hold back a number of seats; usually the first two and last row of coach, specifically for assignment at the airport for situations exactly like this. However, if you purchased Delta's relatively new discount coach fare that doesn't come with a seat assignment, I wouldn't expect much help.

They probably moved people who had already chosen their seats. I've had it happen to me on every Delta flight I've taken in the last decade. I check the seats periodically and when they get moved, I have to call and get them moved back.

I know jetBlue holds those specific seats for unaccompanied minors, and generally there are fear UAs than seats.

I know Delta holds some seats for assignment at the gate. The newly-assigned seats may be some of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter