Help! Ride vehicles you step DOWN into!

Soon2B4

DIS Veteran
I am doing my parents FP tomorrow and my dad has muscular dystrophy. He will be using a scooter and utilizing an assistantance pass. This is the first time for him going in over 10 years and physically a lot has changed for him. He is prone to falling and I don't want to fp something and have him be disappointed. (Beyond just fp, rides in general) My concerns are Frozen, Test Track, Pirates, jungle cruise. Anyone have any feedback to any modified ride vehicles they may have? I know space mountain isn't an option and have my concerns about splash. Thanks for any help!!! This is a whole knew type of planning for me!

Have you looked at the first couple of pages of the WDW FAQ pinned near the top of this forum? It's indexed and should address your questions.

Test Track has a modified car. Jungle Cruise has a boat with a lift. You will likely have to wait, but he stays on the ECV the whole time. I don't recall specially accessible vehicles on the other attractions. Almost anything with a moving walkway can be slower or stopped it needed. Exceptions are People Mover and Peter Pan.

things he can do

at the MK
Jungel cruse ( they have a boat he can ride his ECV or wheelchair in if he is using one)
bus has a wheelchair car ( he can use a wheelchair for the line)
under the sea
Hounted mansion dose not have a wheelchair vehicle but he might be able to do it

EPCOT

maybe sarin ( if he can sit in a chair there is no steps at all)
nemo
jury into inmagination
living with the land

HS

the shows

AK

same the show

I will add more latter

also if his only need is mobility then no acceptance pass is needed ( there is nothing available the wheelchair ECV or just telling the CM what he needs is all )

I know that the regular vehicles for rockin roller coaster You step down into. On my first trip I fell into the car because it was so dark and I could not see. 😩

Have you looked at the first couple of pages of the WDW FAQ pinned near the top of this forum? It's indexed and should address your questions.

Test Track has a modified car. Jungle Cruise has a boat with a lift. You will likely have to wait, but he stays on the ECV the whole time. I don't recall specially accessible vehicles on the other attractions. Almost anything with a moving walkway can be slower or stopped it needed. Exceptions are People Mover and Peter Pan.
The FAQ is a great first resource but note that it was prepared many years ago and some of the rides that are on the list no longer exist (and some new ones may not be covered). I believe the Test Track car is similar to the car at Radiator Springs in California and while it is a modified car my issue was getting out because of hip replacement and knees--even with the modified car--if your Dad has help this might be do-able. Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Flying Saucers should be ok--you should be able to take him directly to the car with the wheelchair but he will need to transfer. Smuggler's Run he can probably be wheeled into the pod but will need to transfer--I would recommend the engineer or gunner positions for him. It's a Small World has a boat that you can take a wheelchair on and I believe Living with the Land does too. Frozen is also something I have not attempted because the gap for the step-over was too much for me.

They have a boat for Its a Small World that is handicap accessible. Your father would need to transfer from his xcooter, to a wheelchair (They provide) after riding his scooter down the ramp.

here is a website that has Picture of ride vehicles so you can see if you think your Dad can do it ( and if there is a wheelchair accessible vehicle for the ride

All ears

I am doing my parents FP tomorrow and my dad has muscular dystrophy. He will be using a scooter and utilizing an assistantance pass. This is the first time for him going in over 10 years and physically a lot has changed for him. He is prone to falling and I don't want to fp something and have him be disappointed. (Beyond just fp, rides in general) My concerns are Frozen, Test Track, Pirates, jungle cruise. Anyone have any feedback to any modified ride vehicles they may have? I know space mountain isn't an option and have my concerns about splash. Thanks for any help!!! This is a whole knew type of planning for me!
Test track does not have a modified vehicle it does have an alternative loading section. My daughter loads upstairs at the seatbelt check because she can pull her chair up to the car. If you load downstairs (regular loading area)you have to step down into car

Posts 18-21of the disABILITIES FAQs thread have up to date information about ride access. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
The FAQ is a great first resource but note that it was prepared many years ago and some of the rides that are on the list no longer exist (and some new ones may not be covered). I believe the Test Track car is similar to the car at Radiator Springs in California and while it is a modified car my issue was getting out because of hip replacement and knees--even with the modified car--if your Dad has help this might be do-able. Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Flying Saucers should be ok--you should be able to take him directly to the car with the wheelchair but he will need to transfer.
Actually, the FAQs thread was started many years ago, but is regularly updated.
The date of the regional post can’t change, so if I originally wrote it in 2004, that’s the date at the top of the post. But, it may have been edited many times between then and now.

Some things haven’t changed (ie, the Disney Magical Express bus info or pool info) and some (post 3!) I have not had time to do much to since this is a volunteer gig and I have to work on it during my free time.

The 4 posts about ride access (posts 18-21) are looked at for updates after every trip my family takes and as I find out about things in other ways. We go twice a year for 14-16 days. I also remove things that are no longer in operation. For the example, I just read that Primeval Whirl at AK was made seasonal and added that information to the AK post.
I added Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Flying Saucers after we tried them out on our last trip in a March/April 2019

Test track does not have a modified vehicle it does have an alternative loading section. My daughter loads upstairs at the seatbelt check because she can pull her chair up to the car. If you load downstairs (regular loading area)you have to step down into car
Just what I was going to say.
I would compare it to going over the side of a fairly high bathtub. So, better than stepping down into the car at the regular boarding area, but not necessarily easy.

Frozen Ever After does not have an adapted ride car. The accessibility devices they have available there are a sliding board and a transfer tier. This is a set of steps that can be put to the side of the boat. The first step is approximately wheelchair seat height and the steps are meant for someone to ‘bump’ up and down the steps with their butt.
Frozen does have 2 drops, but the biggest issue I would say is the bumpy ness of the track. Part of the ride is free-flowing water, but on parts the ride vehicle is being pulled or moved by a track. That was bumpy enough that it won’t work for my daughter.

Test Track was already covered - no special ride car.

Pirates does not have any special ride cars or features. Guests with wheelchairs/ECVs are loaded on one particular boarding side. It is a transfer to the right to get on and left to get off. The boarding area has a bit more space so a wheelchair could be placed as close as you need to the boat, but it is a long way down. Getting in is easier than getting out - gravity works with you getting in and against getting out.

Jungle a Cruise accessible boat is pretty cool. It has a lift that rotates up from the boat for boarding and unloading and rotates back and down for riding.

Jungle a Cruise accessible boat is pretty cool. It has a lift that rotates up from the boat for boarding and unloading and rotates back and down for riding.
apost
A CM once described it to me as three rides in one. As soon as I remember the third one, I will update this post.

apost
A CM once described it to me as three rides in one. As soon as I remember the third one, I will update this post.
Usually Teacups when you spin, Tower of Terror when you're lowered, and then the Jungle Cruise itself.
And, you get your first corny Jungle Cruise Captain joke before the boat even leaves the dock.

Interesting Jungle Cruise lift story.
I knew someone who worked on Jungle Cruise when they were developing the lift boat.
He said they brought the prototype boat that they thought was the winning design. The first time they tried it out on the water, the pressure of the lift pushed the boat down and ended up flooding the boat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter