• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help please - My dad and ECV's

Treacle44

DIS Veteran
Hiya

My dad has a back condition, walks with a stick and whilst he can walk for 15 mins or so, that's about it and he can't stand around for too long without being in pain. He also has heart disease and a pacemaker. He holds a Disabled blue badge.

He was hoping to get a date for pain killing injections at the hospital but they've confirmed it won't happen before holiday now :sad1: so we have to sort out some sort of wheelchair for him. He weighs 12.5 stone so a normal wheelchair isn't really any option. So he basically need to decide whether to hire a ECV for the whole 2 weeks or just hire it when we go to the parks etc.

Are they easy to use (he doesn't use one at home, except in supermarkets) and do they fit in the hire car easily? (we have a minivan but will use the buses too).

Also what happens with rides etc? Does he go in a different queue with the ECV or does he have to get out and how do we all go on the rides together?

Also for things like the Lion King and Fantasmic, he wouldn't be able to sit on the benches as there isn't any support for his back, so what would happen then?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks if you can help.

x

Hi; hopefully I can answer some of your questions;
1. At 12 stone (166 lb in american:lmao:) either a wheelchair or ECV would be fine, not to worry. It's more about whichever he's more comfortable with. If he's used to using one in shops at home, he'd be fine. Yes, it's a lot more crowded, but the ECV's are smaller and more maneuvreable. I would recommend hiring an ECV from an offsite vendor. Not only is it much less expensive, the distance from the park to the busses or carpark and around the resorts is considerable. There is contact info for the vendors in the FAQ's sticky.

2. As far as the queues, most, especially in the newer parks, are mainstreamed, meaning he'd enter the regular queue on the ECV. When that is not the case, the CM at the entrance will advise you where the handicapped entrance is. On the rare occasions where there is no way to get the ECV to the ride vehicle (namely POTC) a wheelchair is made available for the queue.

3. When renting the ECV, let them know you have a mini van and need to transport the ECV in it. THey will make sure you have a unit that can be easily dissassembled and lifted into the boot. The busses are all equipped with lifts for the ECV's or wheelchair.

Hope it helps!!

Oh, as for the shows, there are spaces for ECV's, so he'll be able to remain on it or sitting in the w/c so back support won't be a problem. (BTW, double checked and saw the 1/2 part, so for americans, he's 172 lbs. That's actually pretty average here, so he would fit comfortably in a wheelchair, too.)

I would also like to add even if staying onsite and getting dropped off at Bus Stops or even parking in a handicapped spot ( if driving yourself) that it is a LONG walk to the entrance to each park to the EVC /WC rentals.
in MK the buses drop you off right in front- you don't have to go thru the Ticket and transportation center. But it's still a bit of a walk as are the the other parks from parking to the entrance of the park.

I would seriously consider renting offsite as to make sure you have access at all times to make sure you have an EVC or WC-
(no I don't work for an EVC place:) I just know when I go with friends who need an EVC it is a walk even from Handicapped parking to the front.

I know everyone worries about walking in lines- you really walk A LOT more from RIDE to RIDE or RIDE to SHOW. Lines just seem to take forever. :)

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find information about renting ECVs and wheelchairs in post #2 of that thread. The companies that are listed there are ones that DIS posters have used and recommended over the years. Several of the companies have overseas phone numbers for guests in the UK.
Some of them also have information on their websites that show how their ECVs can be taken apart for transport.
When you get to the park, you will find a little icon on the park map for each ride or attraction. For many, you will see a wheelchair symbol, which means the attraction is wheelchair and ECV accessible. All of the shows or theater presentations have that symbol and will have a place where he can park the ECV and sit in it for the show.
For many, you will see a wheelchair symbol with a stick figure getting out of the wheelchair. That means that the line is accessible, but riders need to get out of the wheelchair and get into a ride vehicle. For all of those, the ECV or wheelchair can be brought right to the boarding area and will be at the exit when you get off after riding.
Some attractions have a picture of an ECV with a person getting out of the ECV and into a wheelchair. Those attractions are not ECV accessible, but are wheelchair accessible and the attraction will have some 'loaner' wheelchairs that can be used by guests at that attraction.
A few attractions have an ECV picture with an arrow to a wheelchair and then the stick person is getting out of the wheelchair. This means the line is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible and that the person must get out of the wheelchair and into a ride vehicle.

If you look in post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of that post you will find a link to the Disney Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. This will help you to know how to access attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter