Help - planning 1st ever DL trip in October!

welovewdw

Mouseketeer
I'm so excited because I've never even been to CA ~ but now am overwhelmed trying to learn everything about DL. (It took me years to get to the point of being able to plan WDW with ease~ and I know how important the planning is at this point. LOL)

It's just my husband & I - we happen to have a business trip in San Diego and by chance I mapquested it and found it was only an hour and half from DL - no way am I not going with it being that close! :rotfl: We're trading the F&W Festival for DL this year I think. :cool1:

I am really lost but I've been reading like mad and I have a few questions:

1 - how long would you plan to really get to do the parks? 5 days? We have a little flexibility there -

2 - Where to stay?? I'm gathering that staying onsite is not the same as staying onsite at WDW? What about offsite? Would you definitely stay onsite? We usually stay deluxe and sometimes moderate at WDW - which hotel would you recommend?

3 - does DL have extra magic hours? Are good nieghbor hotels included with this?

4 - are there AP rates? Where do you find these? I can't seem to find them on mousesavers - and would buy an AP if the savings are there. (It's only $50 difference between 5 day hoppers and AP)

Thank you so much for any help - I feel like there is so much to learn - it's so different from WDW it seems! I haven't even thought about ADR's yet.. :rotfl2:

Kim

DL onsite is more expensive than WDW and not as necessary. However if money is not an issue than its certainly worth it. Lots of offsite hotels that are just as close(if not closer) and will save you a fortune or better yet get more room for your dollar.

If you have never been than 5 days is plenty to see the 2 parks. You should be able to cover just about everything. If your going to do other things in the area you would probably be fine with 3 days too.

Plan your rides and your day well and you will have enough time to cover all you want to see.

Where to begin........

Five days would be more then enough when traveling with out children. Three would probably do it unless you like to take long breaks and eat lots of full service meals. Dont get me wrong, if you can do 5 days, then do it! But if its a time or budget stretch you could get by with less.

There are many off site hotels that are walking distance. Candy cane inn is our favorite. Howard Johnson (hojo's) is another local favorite. There are some nicer hotels in the area, but most wouldnt be walking distance. Might be worth checking onsite prices, they are having a 4th night free special this fall. If you can take advantage of that you might get a great rate. If you decide to stay off site be sure you ask some questions before you book a hotel. Some will say "one block" or "across the street". That is not always what it sounds like- you can be across the street and have a mile to walk!

DL offers early entry (EE). It is offered most Mon, Tues, Thurs and Saturdays. Its one hour before scheduled park opening. Fantasyland and most of Tomorrowland are open. Be sure you to Fantasyland rides first. Some, like Peter Pan and Dumbo, get lines early and stay long all day. Most, if not all, 3 day or more park hoppers come with one day of EE. If you are staying on site, you should be able to use EE each day it is offered. This could change as its an unadvertised perk, but I dont see it changing anytime soon.

AP's- yes, they are close in price to a 5 or more day park hopper. The really great hotel ap rates dont typically come out until a few weeks before they are available. The normal ap hotel rate is about a 10% discount off the rack rates. You also get a 10% discount at most of the restaurants in the parks and downtown disney. If you are getting an a/p you might want to wait until you've used your day of EE, then upgrade. Unless you are staying on site, then it probably wont matter unless they have done away with the special EE for onsite. (confused yet?).

ADR's are PS (priority seating) in Disneyland. They can be made 60 days in advance. They are not as needed in DL as they are in WDW. Most of DL is walk up/ counter service. You might want to check out www.dlresortinfo.com for menus and which places are full service or walk up.

With a 3 day park hopper or longer you get 1 early entry, which gets you into the park an hour early. If you stay onsite you also get Mickey's Morning Madness which gets you into Toontown one hour early one day. With an AP you lose those benefits, I don't know if there are other savings with AP that might off set that?

When we went in June we stayed off site, and the shuttle service worked great from there. For our Halloween trip we are going to stay on site at the Grand. We won't rent a car, and we are not doing anything except enjoying the hotel and DL & DCA. Staying off site is a lot cheaper and there are tons of places that are with in walking distance to the parks, plus the city shuttle runs on a very reagular schedule. Here's a map with all of the hotels around Disneyland on it.

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

Five days is more than plenty to do the parks, you could even do 3 and still take breaks mid day if you needed to.

There are already several good answers so I'll try not to be a complete duplicate...

1 - You are going in October, so it will not be very crowded during the week. 3 days is enough during the week to see everything if you are going to spend the whole day in the parks.

2 - Some people have mentioned the AP discounts...keep in mind that the hotel discounts are available to ANY AP, but an additional discount that applies only to the PREMIUM AP:
• 10% merchandise discount at select locations throughout the Disneyland® Resort ($10 minimum purchase; restrictions apply).
If you are a big Disney shopper this may influence your purchase.

As for ADR's, there are only a few places likely to need an ADR in October. I'll leave that open for everyone else to address.

One last point, October in SoCal has a small possibility of rain. Most of Disneyland is unaffected by rain (it so Magical it doesn't even get wet...just kidding:lmao: ) and stays open. My suggestion for all but the worst storms would be to get a poncho and go enjoy yourselves. (I.e. something like if you've got lemons, make lemonaide, if it rains :umbrella: while at Disneyland, go play in the puddles!:yay: )

Here is a view from the air of the Disneyland resort and some of the surrounding motels. Non of the surrounding off site motels and hotels are like the Deluxe resorts at WDW. The Grnad Californian is most like WDW. The DLH while older tends to look more like the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd at WDW but the grounds and rooms at the DLH are great. If you have the money the Grand Californian or Disneyland hotels are wonderful. The Paradise Pier is fine but not spectacular.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

Kim:

I am just about ready to post a "DLR Guide for WDW vets" topic in the next couple days so keep an eye out. It is very detailed on the questions you are asking. I am in the process of getting some feedback from other DLR/WDW folks before I post it.

We usually stay at Deluxe or Mods at WDW too. For us, I would really rather not stay off site at DL. It would depend on your pocketbook, and your personal preferences, but I would tend to say that if you are used to Deluxes at WDW you would probably most happy with onsite at DL too. I agree, GC or DLH would be best. The offsite hotels near DL are really like motels, not resort type places to stay.

Just my opinion, I am in no way saying that for some people offsite is not good! I have stayed many, many times offsite! Just, if you are used to Deluxes at WDW, you would probably be most happy onsite.

I'll put in another vote for staying at GC or DH. We used to always stay off-site, but once we started staying on-site we couldn't make ourselves go back. It just keeps you in the Disney magic longer.

Check out the info on the balcony seating for Fantasmic. IMO the DL version is better than WDW, but I hate dealing with the crowds so I love the balcony seating.

DLR doesn't take near as much planning as WDW. Most of the time we only worry about booking our room and wing the rest.

THANK YOU!! I can't tell you how helpful you all have been!!! :goodvibes

Being the obsessive Disney person that I am....I've been working on this all morning. :rotfl:

I think we will do 3 days as advised - because then we can do the zoo in San Diego before and visit some friends in LA for a couple of days at the end of the trip.

And I'm thinking we'll stay in the park (although the Candy Cane Inn looks really cute!) I'm debating between Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian now. Any hints on finding good rates?

What restaurants are "don't misses"?? The one inside POTC looks fun.

JayS - Being a veteran of many WDW trips a little rain doesn't phase me anymore! You haven't lived until you've waded out of Fantasyland through 6" of water!! :rotfl: :rotfl: The good part is, crowds greatly decrease!!

HydroGuy - can't wait for the guide you're writing!! It's funny how lost I feel planning this trip!

ACDSNY - Balcony seating for Fantasmic?? WOW! I HAVE to do that!!! Fantasmic is my favorite night time show but I also hate the crowds (esp. getting out) and having to sit on those benches for an hour before hand! Where do I sign up? :rotfl:

Thank you ALL so much!!! Any and all planning advice is appreciated -

Kim

welovewdw said:
I'm so excited because I've never even been to CA ~ but now am overwhelmed trying to learn everything about DL. (It took me years to get to the point of being able to plan WDW with ease~ and I know how important the planning is at this point. LOL)

It's just my husband & I - we happen to have a business trip in San Diego and by chance I mapquested it and found it was only an hour and half from DL - no way am I not going with it being that close! :rotfl: We're trading the F&W Festival for DL this year I think. :cool1:

I am really lost but I've been reading like mad and I have a few questions:

1 - how long would you plan to really get to do the parks? 5 days? We have a little flexibility there -

I would plan a full five days for sure since you have not been before and probably woouldn't be back for a while. Heck who am I kidding, I go all the time and could easily fill 5 days :cloud9:

2 - Where to stay?? I'm gathering that staying onsite is not the same as staying onsite at WDW? What about offsite? Would you definitely stay onsite? We usually stay deluxe and sometimes moderate at WDW - which hotel would you recommend?

You definitely do not have to stay onsite, however they are running the buy 3 nights, get one free for October and for 4 nights, Paradise Pier (which we love) is around $568 total. Not too bad for 4 nights onsite.

3 - does DL have extra magic hours? Are good nieghbor hotels included with this?

DL only has early entry, but there is going to be a Halloween Treat event at DCA after hours in October, maybe you will be there one of those nights and can get tickets?

4 - are there AP rates? Where do you find these? I can't seem to find them on mousesavers - and would buy an AP if the savings are there. (It's only $50 difference between 5 day hoppers and AP)

Yes there are AP rates, but I called yesterday and they are only through Sept. right now. Mousesaversis great, but alot of people know about the AP rates before it gets updated there. That site is much better for WDW.

Thank you so much for any help - I feel like there is so much to learn - it's so different from WDW it seems! I haven't even thought about ADR's yet.. :rotfl2:

Kim

Good luck, you will have a great time. Hope this helped a little. As for offsite, we like the Desert Inn and Suites and the Tropicana. They are close and clean. But alot of people like the Candy Cane Inn. Haven't tried it yet but it looks great.

welovewdw said:
ACDSNY - Balcony seating for Fantasmic?? WOW! I HAVE to do that!!! Fantasmic is my favorite night time show but I also hate the crowds (esp. getting out) and having to sit on those benches for an hour before hand! Where do I sign up? :rotfl:
Kim

I found this earlier thread with quite a bit of info on the balcony seating. The cost is now $59.

DL doesn't have the theater seating like WDW so you're either sitting on the ground or standing. Not my idea of a fun wait.

As far as room prices, check all the usual travel websites and getawaytoday.com. They'll be running the 4th night free packages for that time of year.

ACDSNY said:
DL doesn't have the theater seating like WDW so you're either sitting on the ground or standing. Not my idea of a fun wait.
IMO this is an issue because WDW has the stadium seats and that creates expectations. Otherwise the "seating" is along the lines of most parades or fireworks shows you might see. Usually, you stand or you sit on the ground or a curb.

FWIW, the Fantasmic environment at DL is more intimate than WDW as you are closer to the action.

HydroGuy said:
Kim:

I am just about ready to post a "DLR Guide for WDW vets" topic in the next couple days so keep an eye out. It is very detailed on the questions you are asking. I am in the process of getting some feedback from other DLR/WDW folks before I post it.
OK, my promised guide to DLR is finished and posted on this forum. Here is a link:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter