Help picking resort for mother/daughter summer trip

2kidsForMe

Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag
Hello all. I am bringing my 15 year old daughter to Disney World this July for 9 days!. Plane tickets are already bought, but we have no idea where to stay (DD is happy to go, and has left it for me to decide). I know we would like a resort that:
Feels like we are at Disney
Has a nice food court (we tend to eat at our resort a lot)
Good transportation
Lively, themed, but not chaotic or too loud (a quiet place to sleep is important)
Not too far of a walk from the room to transportation and food options
We don't care to much about pools or room size since it is just the two of us.

I've narrowed it down to:
Art of Animation Little Mermaid Room (Love the decor, worried about walking distances and crowds)
POFQ (most expensive option, like the small size, worried it doesn't have enough "Disney Cute" for my teenager)
Pop Preferred (best price, cute decor, but worried about large groups. I don't mind if tour groups are at the resort, I just don't want our room to be in the middle of them. Would booking preferred avoid that?)
Would a Royal Room at POR be worth the cost difference?
We are only looking at Values or Moderates for this trip. Any money saved could go towards fun dining and shopping. Any help would be appreciated! TIA

Last edited:
I’m doing a mother daughter trip in November with my 12 year old daughter. I’ve decided on a split stay with POFQ and BWV For many of the reasons you have listed. We are already booked and so excited. We still have to book our flights.

If I were you I would do POFQ. We are doing a split bc i got a great deal renting points at BWV. If not i was set on doing Pofq the entire trip.

I would choose POFQ based on the following:

Feels like we are at Disney - perhaps not the most "Disney" resort to us in terms of characters like the values, but really well themed and immersive.
Has a nice food court (we tend to eat at our resort a lot) - pretty good food court, and walking distance from POR which has an awesome food court.
Decent transportation - small resort, we've found it to be the best transportation of the moderates
Lively, but not chaotic or too loud (a quiet place to sleep is important) - definitely one of the quieter resorts and again, shares with POR for an even more tranquil environment
Not too far of a walk from the room to transportation and food options - smallest moderate resort if walking distance is important to you
We don't care to much about pools or room size since it is just the two of us - the pool is usually the one downside to POFQ for us, but if you don't care too much about the pools then that is usually my only hesitation booking POFQ!

I would choose Pop, that’s my favorite. It’s not too big, and the food court is great. I’m staying in a preferred room this weekend for the first time, and I’m very curious where my room will end up being! I have a friend at POFQ now, and she says it’s too big and she won’t stay there again.

I would choose Pop, that’s my favorite. It’s not too big, and the food court is great. I’m staying in a preferred room this weekend for the first time, and I’m very curious where my room will end up being! I have a friend at POFQ now, and she says it’s too big and she won’t stay there again.

POFQ is about half the size of Pop. So your friend should probably stay away from Pop.

I would choose POFQ based on the following:

Feels like we are at Disney - perhaps not the most "Disney" resort to us in terms of characters like the values, but really well themed and immersive.
Has a nice food court (we tend to eat at our resort a lot) - pretty good food court, and walking distance from POR which has an awesome food court.
Decent transportation - small resort, we've found it to be the best transportation of the moderates
Lively, but not chaotic or too loud (a quiet place to sleep is important) - definitely one of the quieter resorts and again, shares with POR for an even more tranquil environment
Not too far of a walk from the room to transportation and food options - smallest moderate resort if walking distance is important to you
We don't care to much about pools or room size since it is just the two of us - the pool is usually the one downside to POFQ for us, but if you don't care too much about the pools then that is usually my only hesitation booking POFQ!
If you do go with POFQ you are allowed to use the pools ( main & quiet) at POR.

I'd recommend POFQ based on your wants. The resort is immersed in theme ( think new orleans french quarter but cleaner ) and it's smaller size makes it the perfect size. If you do stay there - try the biengets.

Lots of plus and minus for most the moderates and values but .... two of you, DD is older, summer crowds, dining options ... this summer so factoring in renovations/construction ...

I would go with the POR Royal Room. We are all adults and love the rooms. The location within the resort is great, easy walk to two bus stops, main hub, dining, main pool etc ... The resort itself is Southern laid back charm and we love wandering around. The plus for dining is POR has TS/QS, you can walk next door to POFQ for QS and best, you can hop a boat to Disney Springs to eat whatever you want. You can also enjoy Yeeha Bob in the lounge and they serve light food items too. NO construction is going on at this resort and it has wonderful Disney feel to it ESPECIALLY the Royal rooms.

We LOVE POP, but you might not get a new room if they don't speed this thing up ... and the BTG staying there in July will not be fun and you could be put right in the middle of it, been there done that.

LM at AOA has high chance of being a very long walk. Dining there is good, but again the tour groups will be eating there as well. Overall I'd likely avoid the values in July if you can swing a moderate.

CSR and CBR both having construction. CBR is more impacted throughout at this point with the tower, gondola stations etc. CSR has the tower, new gardens area and room renovations. POFQ is pricey for a resort without all the amenities and a small food court. We love NOLA but we are not impressed with FQ and certainly shouldn't cost as much as the other moderates.

FQ is our favorite resort. It is small compact, a 5 minute walk to anything. It only has 1 bus stop (another advantage). Another nice feature is the boat to Disney Springs. On our last trip one of the boat operators told me some people use the boat as another ride (it is a nice trip). Being that close to DS allows for quick shopping runs.

Looking at your particular likes/dislikes regarding lodging, I would rule out the values. POFQ would be my suggestion, because of the compact size of the resort. The food options are decent, and convenient, but I have the tendency to want to eat other places rather than the the hotel food court. The boat to Disney Springs is a great option for shopping/dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts