HELP needed for GKTW pillow program!

Has anyone here ever volunteered at GKTW?

I am so excited by making these pillowcases. I think the girls night is a great idea. After I make some, maybe my girl scouts could help too.

Last week I sent my first set of pillowcases to GKTW.

I thought I'd post them here as a reminder to sewers that they're easy and currently needed.

IMG_1919.jpg

Each yard of fabric makes four pillows so I made ten sets, which is 40 pillows. I see that Joann's has the flannel on sale this coming Saturday, April 30 for $2.49 a yeard. Stock up!

Thank you so much for posting this! I can't wait to try it. If it's a success, I'll be posting an entry about it in my blog as well!

Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info about the Mickey fabric. I bought some online but not as much as I wanted. We visited relatives out of state for Easter and they have a big Joann's near them. Since I knew the fabric came from there I checked it out and found it there! I was so excited to get what I wanted. Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it .
Thanks!

Hi Jessica,

I just wanted to say thanks for the info about the Mickey fabric. I bought some online but not as much as I wanted. We visited relatives out of state for Easter and they have a big Joann's near them. Since I knew the fabric came from there I checked it out and found it there! I was so excited to get what I wanted. Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it .
Thanks!

Sure thing! I am so glad you were able to get some!! It is the cutest fabric I have seen in a while!

Volunteering at GKTW is on my bucket list. At the present time I live in New York and would have to fly, rent a car, and pay for a hotel (food too, but I eat anyway so that's not an additional expense). I figure for what it would cost to volunteer there for a week they'd be better off if I sent them the money it would cost me. I haven't given up the idea. Some day.

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my co-workers and I made 23 pillows last-was supposed to be 24 but we had an oopsy!
I think it went really well but ran into the early morning hours.
We were together about 5 1/2 hrs but I can't really say that was how long it took to make the pillows. We watched recaps of the royal wedding, had alot of conversation, swapped sewing tips etc. There were 4 of us, only two experienced sewers but we did the assembly line technique which helped. Yes we could've moved faster but what we lacked in speed was gained in numbers. Also having the set time to do this was a big factor also. If I were doing this alone at home I may have not even started the pillows and surely what've quit before I did. Honestly, we could've gotten this done much quicker but I'm really happy that I had a good time with friends, FINALLY saw a project thru to the end in a timely manner, and did something nice for someone else.
Thanks for bringing the project to my attention, instructions and tutorials , and helping me locate that great Mickey fabric. You guys are GREAT!

Volunteering there is on my bucket list too! I am trying to figure out a way to make it happen. I live in Maryland so it does invlove a plane tickets. My Aunt lives in Olrando so I may not need hotel or car.

I bought fabric this weekend, hope to sew next weekend.

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my co-workers and I made 23 pillows last-was supposed to be 24 but we had an oopsy!
I think it went really well but ran into the early morning hours.
We were together about 5 1/2 hrs but I can't really say that was how long it took to make the pillows. We watched recaps of the royal wedding, had alot of conversation, swapped sewing tips etc. There were 4 of us, only two experienced sewers but we did the assembly line technique which helped. Yes we could've moved faster but what we lacked in speed was gained in numbers. Also having the set time to do this was a big factor also. If I were doing this alone at home I may have not even started the pillows and surely what've quit before I did. Honestly, we could've gotten this done much quicker but I'm really happy that I had a good time with friends, FINALLY saw a project thru to the end in a timely manner, and did something nice for someone else.
Thanks for bringing the project to my attention, instructions and tutorials , and helping me locate that great Mickey fabric. You guys are GREAT!

Super! That's 23 pillows they didn't have before you started.

I think assemblyline is the way to go. I keep jumping up between my sewing machine, ironing board, cutting mat, and serger.

On another thread someone asked about the pillowcases and I came here to research the answer to her question.

Seems like this thread is getting lost so I thought I'd post photos of a recent donation to remind others who enjoy sewing about this worthwhile project.

sewing070.jpg

To the OP if you're still following along, the question from the other person was does the solid color fabric have to be flannel? She wrote that she has a lot of fabric, but not flannel.

LindaBabe said:
The reason for flannel is softness. They're looking for the "cuddly" factor.

I realize that, but someone posted on the Big Give board that she has a lot of fabric and is willing to make pillows IF non-flannel is okay. Most pillowcases you buy at the store aren't flannel, so she is wondering if the HAVE to be flannel. I guess basically the question is, do they have to be flannel. I don't think the woman was going to buy so she wanted to know if what she has is acceptable.

Not sure this ever got answered but as far as I know they do not have to be flannel. Washable is the only requirement. I am an "angel" at GKTW & my first volunteer job was the pillow tree. There were so many different fabric pillows.

I have read and reread the directions sent to me from Give Kids the World. I normally don't have trouble "seeing" what I need to do, but I'm confused. I found a vidoe showing how to make these, but that was a couple of months ago, and now I can't find it again.

My question is: does the pillow fabric get hemmed along the width of the fabric - selvage to selvage or do you cut off the selvage and hem those edges along the 36 inch length?

As I understand the directions, the pocket fabric gets hemmed across the width of the fabric so that you'll end up with a length of fabric 36 to 45 inches (depending on how wide the fabric comes) to abour 11 inches long.

If someone knows where to find that fideo, I'd be very appreciative. My next step is to contact GKTW for clarification, but I'm guessing it will take a while for them to respond.

Someone did clarify the directions for me and I have completed four awesome pillow covers. If anyone else wants to make the covers, but find the original directions puzzling, PM me and I'll send you a copy of my new and improved directions. (They have pictures). The project is really easy once you know what to do.

I know this is an old post, but we just came home for GKTW for my daughter's trip and this is fresh in my mind. The volunteer at the pillow tree said they really need pillow cases. At high need are pillow cases for teens and older boys. So, sports teams, college logos, Marvel comics, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, etc.

My daughters loved the village so much, they want to sew pillow cases to give back and brighten other kids' visits.

I'm so glad to hear that these pillow cases are being used. I need to get back to making more. I completed a few dozen once I got going, but have been keeping busy with other projects since.

I know this is a super old thread at this point but my son is just finishing up his eagle project for boy scouts and chose GKTW and to raise awareness about the need for pillowcases teaching the online community, along with our local community and in turn over 600 were made! Hoping this photos works! It's been a while since I posted one here.

ETA - he is over 6 feet tall! It's one heck of a pile and was not easy to get to stay like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!