Help My Son Fears Water Rides

GOOFY4DONALD

DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer
When we went to WDW Dec 07 my son was 4. He was quite the daredevil and went on almost everything he was tall enough for. He couldn't wait to board Kali River Rapids and was so excited he couldn't contain himself. Then the water hit him...and hit hard. He was soaked and ever turn soaked him more and more. He was dripping from head to toe (all kids were offered a poncho but no one wanted them). After the ride the people in line actually pointed him out as the poor boy that was literally dripping wet (his eyelashes were soaked). Now my son has a fear of all water rides. He will ride POTC only because he went on it before the Kali misadventure. Now he doesn't want to ride anything that has water. That is fine and I would NEVER force my son on a ride he is scared of but he loves watching the Disney shows with Splash Mountain on them and he wants to ride it, very badly, but has the fear of getting wet. I told him he can wear a poncho but he still fears water rides. Does anyone have any tips on helping a child get over the fear of getting wet, so they can enjoy the rides they want to go on?

TIA

In these situations a lot depends on the temperature. DS had the same thing happen here at our local 6 Flags on a visit in May, when the water here is still very cold. For a long time he insisted on wearing a rainsuit while on water rides, not so much to protect from the water, but from the shock of the cold. He expected a cold-shock at WDW too, but he worked up enough courage to do SplMtn and discovered that in June there, the water was perfectly warm.

In December, Kali's water is pretty cold, so that probably has something to do with it. Could you let him practice getting a bucket-dousing while wearing a poncho? (Or even better, a rainsuit, which also protects from underneath.) He may get over it once he gets used to the sensation of the water coming at him, and if the water is relatively warm.

Afraid I dont' have any help, but it seems to be an age thing. My 4 year old son is also afraid of being drenched or getting his face wet. We went on Splash Mountain last year and he didn't even get wet, but wound up crying at the end for the fear of getting wet. I think he is outgrowing it and we hope to try Splash Mtn again, but as you said, I will not be forcing it.

I just keep trying to expose him to water situations and showing him that he's ok. For example, in the bath/shower, he tends to freak if he gets water in his eyes. I've been talking him through it and telling him that it's just water and that it won't hurt him. He seems to be getting better with age and experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter