Help me with Soarin' and motion sickness

Tiggerlover91

DIS Veteran
I've seen it on other posts, but wanted to make absolutely sure I'll be okay on this ride. I have a "weird" version of motion sickness. I'll get it on the Ferry or the Riverboat that hasn't even left the dock yet. It's the motion of the water and the boat not moving, but my mind says, yes we are. :sad1: I know that you aren't too high off the ground....a friend told me a few feet, is that correct? I just don't want to get there and be sick and my son now has to wait till his momma can get it together again. Should I find a medicine that helps with that and just take it before going? I won't be doing FoP at all because I've heard that even closing the eyes doesn't help on that one. :worried: I'm okay on the Teacups so long as no one spins the cup any extra.

I appreciate you all! :thanks:

I have a friend who uses a product called “Motion Ease” from Walmart. It must be some kind of essential oil. This friend has motion sickness to the point that she can’t even ride in the back seat of a car. She rubs a drop behind each ear about 30 min before a ride that would give her difficulty. She has been able to do most rides now, Soarin, Everest and even Space Mountain. She is only able to do FOP one time per day, but she did enjoy it. Maybe try researching Essentia oils and motion sickness.

I've seen it on other posts, but wanted to make absolutely sure I'll be okay on this ride. I have a "weird" version of motion sickness. I'll get it on the Ferry or the Riverboat that hasn't even left the dock yet. It's the motion of the water and the boat not moving, but my mind says, yes we are. :sad1: I know that you aren't too high off the ground....a friend told me a few feet, is that correct? I just don't want to get there and be sick and my son now has to wait till his momma can get it together again. Should I find a medicine that helps with that and just take it before going? I won't be doing FoP at all because I've heard that even closing the eyes doesn't help on that one. :worried: I'm okay on the Teacups so long as no one spins the cup any extra.

I appreciate you all! :thanks:
The height off the ground depends on what row you are seated in. If you are seated in the front row, you will be more than a few feet off the ground. The bottom row doesn't go as high, so if the height is an issue, make certain to request that the CM's seat you in the bottom row.

I honestly find FoP less troubling than Soarin. I enjoy both rides, but Soarin' gets me a bit when it is lifting into position. FoP doesn't do that. While the "drop" portions of the ride are more intense than Soarin, that doesn't bother me.

Of course, the ultimate answer is, I am not you. The things that bother me are probably not the same things that bother you. If it were me, I would get the medicine, and try the ride. Once you've ridden it yourself, you will know for certain how you react to it. There are a couple of rides my wife has done with us, and exclaimed "NEVER again" after the ride, but at least she knows now.

The height off the ground depends on what row you are seated in. If you are seated in the front row, you will be more than a few feet off the ground. The bottom row doesn't go as high, so if the height is an issue, make certain to request that the CM's seat you in the bottom row.

I honestly find FoP less troubling than Soarin. I enjoy both rides, but Soarin' gets me a bit when it is lifting into position. FoP doesn't do that. While the "drop" portions of the ride are more intense than Soarin, that doesn't bother me.

Of course, the ultimate answer is, I am not you. The things that bother me are probably not the same things that bother you. If it were me, I would get the medicine, and try the ride. Once you've ridden it yourself, you will know for certain how you react to it. There are a couple of rides my wife has done with us, and exclaimed "NEVER again" after the ride, but at least she knows now.

@Tomh thank you SO much for your input! I will be sure to ask to sit in the bottom row and I will pick up some medicine to help with the motion sickness and just take it every morning before going into all the parks! Would you happen to have any recommendations on a good medicine for that?

I have a friend who uses a product called “Motion Ease” from Walmart. It must be some kind of essential oil. This friend has motion sickness to the point that she can’t even ride in the back seat of a car. She rubs a drop behind each ear about 30 min before a ride that would give her difficulty. She has been able to do most rides now, Soarin, Everest and even Space Mountain. She is only able to do FOP one time per day, but she did enjoy it. Maybe try researching Essentia oils and motion sickness.

Thank you! I will do just that!

Found it! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motionea...-Topical-Oil-08-fl-oz-20-application/12346124

I will be picking this up, a few of them....before our trip in June!

I think it's highly individual if you will get motion sick on any ride. If you know you are prone to motion sickness then I would say to definitely pre medicate before riding, just to be safe.

I have three in my family who get motion sick, two of them severe. They all rode FOP after using a motion sickness med prior and they all loved it. And they all said they would do it again!

FWIW we used to take ginger before going to the parks and it worked for us. Only the children and I took the ginger; husband stuck with OTC meclazine not trusting the ginger until a myth busting show proved ginger works. Since then, we all take ginger. We do the same on cruise ships. The children, now young adults, no longer need anything but I do and ginger works for me without side effects.
I am also "weird" about motion sickness with some things bothering me and others not. I know for me that motion simulation is the worst. Spinning ala teacups and MS liftoff is fine, but after MS hypersleep I am a wreck and don't even look at that ride anymore. I'm great for one drop of ToT, but the random up and down is not OK for me without ginger. I do much better on Soarin' than FoP. If I close my eyes for the initial ascent of the seats and for the 10 seconds of swooping through clouds, I don't even need ginger on Soarin'. As others mentioned it's what works for you, not me, that's important; but I hope detailing my experiences helps you in some way. Enjoy Soarin' - it's worth it IMO.

If you are going to take any meds, you might want to take each night before bed in case of any possible drowsiness. I took Bonine last trip, started it night before leaving , to keep it in my system, based on advice on here. Even though it's less drowsy formula, people recommended taking at night just in case since you'd sleep it off. I get some motion sickness, like stop/start car rides, boats, and roller coasters that loop and go backwards - Soarin is not a problem - love it! But this last trip DD wanted to try EE and of course FoP, and it was just the two of us, so no DS to go with her if I chicken out! I decided to do the Bonine as a preventative. Don't know if it helped for sure, but was fine on FoP - it was awesome, and only closed my eyes when felt like going into a corkscrew once. EE ended up being down when we got to it, so can't say on that one - DD was disappointed, I was kind of releived! I also read about ginger chews, but couldn't find them before we left, but have since so will bring those next time as well.

@Tomh thank you SO much for your input! I will be sure to ask to sit in the bottom row and I will pick up some medicine to help with the motion sickness and just take it every morning before going into all the parks! Would you happen to have any recommendations on a good medicine for that?
Sorry, I can't help with suggestions for medicine. While I do suffer a bit from motion sickness, it isn't very much at all, and I simply avoid the things that are likely to trigger it. I can ride most of the rides in Disney World without a whole lot of trouble. The trip up into position on Soarin' sometimes gets me a bit, but it is only for the couple of seconds that the seat is lifting into position, and I am absolutely fine as soon as it stops moving up. The actual ride is smooth and gentle, and doesn't bother me a bit.

I have terrible motion sickness. I've tried all the OTC remedies (Dramamine, bonine, meclizine, sea bands, motion ease, ginger...none of it works for me.

I now use the prescription patch TRANSDERMAL SCOP. Its a life saver and I can ride everything. You wear a patch for 3 days and then put a new one on. I put it on the night before we arrive and all is right with the world.

I have terrible motion sickness. I've tried all the OTC remedies (Dramamine, bonine, meclizine, sea bands, motion ease, ginger...none of it works for me.

I now use the prescription patch TRANSDERMAL SCOP. Its a life saver and I can ride everything. You wear a patch for 3 days and then put a new one on. I put it on the night before we arrive and all is right with the world.

Thank you so much for this advice!! I've been looking for a remedy better than Dramamine and Bonine, so thank you for your recommendation! One question, do you only use the patch now or do you still take a Dramamine or Bonine with it? Thanks in advance!

I don't just suffer from motion sickness but if it gets bad enough it can trigger a full on vertigo attack that can last for weeks. No medication has helped me but I know my limits and did a little research before I went. I found the worst ride for motion sickness for me was Star Tours, I wish I had never gone on it. I still don't feel 100% even a week after returning. I avoided both sides of Mission Space, I was ok on the Tea Cups if I didn't extra spin. Expedition Everest is ok except for one tiny part going backwards around the vortex, Space Mountain was a never again (more for pain reasons) and FoP made me feel a little bit sick. I went on it once but won't ever do that one again. I found I was ok on RNRC , I think because it went so fast I didn't have time to notice. I was top row on Soarin and it lifts you up to quite a height and that caught me off guard but once the film started and the seats began moving it was extremely relaxing and a lot of fun! I would totally do that one again. Each person will experience sickness in different degrees, it's all about trying it once to see how you react.

I hadn't been in 20 years so this was all new to me. Now I know what to avoid on my next trip.

For me . .it is a number of factors (as I age).
Spinning rides get me if I look around too much (teacups).
Simulator rides can get me if I do it too much one after the other. (If Star Tours is a walk-on, going twice in a row is probably my limit).
Soaring never gets me .. the screen is so big, I don't even realize it. FOP I was worried about - but it wasn't bad at all.

For most rides just make sure you keep looking forward and don't move your head around a lot.

I wear Sea bands and that helps on rides and airplanes. Does it help significantly? *shrug* ..but doesn't hurt to wear them.

What probably got me the worst last trip? Everest. That backwards portion just makes me ill .. especially when it is very hot and humid .. and your heart starts racing. Whew .. need a break after that one. I don't even know if I would call that motion sickness . .maybe just the high blood pressure the excitement causes (on top of the humidity). Mission Space? I will never do again.

BTW...I discovered today the FOP is a one and done for me. Made me feel very queesy even with the patch. The only other ride that does that is Forbidden Journey.

I understand your motion sickness - my husband says that "I would get in sick in a bath tub". I also can't spin on Tea Cups. I've never had an issue with Soarin' (the California version) and I must have seen it many many times. I'd take some basic meds just in case so you can feel more comfortable.

People I know with motion sickness have trouble with spinning rides, coasters that make loops so you are upside down, some simulator rides, and really rough trips on water. They don’t have any issues with Soarin’. But it sounds like you also have some different motion issues, so the moving/swaying might be problematic for you. I guess it might be better to try a medication to prevent a potential problem. Nothing worse than chancing it and feeling poorly for hours afterwards.

Hope all works out and you enjoy the ride!

My wife is very prone to motion sickness. Hers can be triggered by too much happening in her peripheral vision. The "spinning tunnel" scene on Buzz Lightyear gets her every time. She closes her eyes and she is fine. I got her on Soarin and she did fine. The only part that gets her is the banking climb at the pyramid. She just closes her eyes for that short turn. We have always been lucky to get front row center flight. I will add that we were there last week. We got front row but on the right side flight. Even I noticed there was something different about the imaging on the side of the ride. She said it messed with her vision at times. I think it is the curve of the screen that was distorting the images. So, front row center for us from now on lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter