Help Me Understand Disney Gift Cards

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Im from Ireland and I go to Disneyland California every June. When I travel to USA I split my money, some cash and some on a prepaid Mastercard which I get here in Ireland.

I keep seeing how people use Disney Gift Cards as a way of saving.

I will be in LA for a few days before I go to Disneyland so I will be able to get to Target. Im wondering would it be worth it to buy a Disney Gift Card and would it save me money.

For example, if I pay $100 in Target for a gift card, would I gain any money? Im a bit confused

Some people have applied for a Target "frequent shopper" ID called a red card that gets them 5% off.

Also, Target used to offer deals of 10% off on Target gift cards in the big shopping rush before Christmas - then those gift cards could be used to pay for Disney gift cards. But that strategy has been shut down by a change in Target policy.

Some people have applied for a Target "frequent shopper" ID called a red card that gets them 5% off.

Also, Target used to offer deals of 10% off on Target gift cards in the big shopping rush before Christmas - then those gift cards could be used to pay for Disney gift cards. But that strategy has been shut down by a change in Target policy.

Ah ok, thank you, so if I spend $100 cash on a Disney gift card in June, its basically just the same as my regular pre-paid Mastercard , I have just transferred cash onto a card?

I have always wondered, as its not something I can do through out the year, like I see people here on Dis do :)

Right.

There are rare situations - like if my American Express card offers a random $20 off a $100 at a given store or website - where I can buy a Disney gift card for a discount, but those situations are much more rare lately.

Im from Ireland and I go to Disneyland California every June. When I travel to USA I split my money, some cash and some on a prepaid Mastercard which I get here in Ireland.

I keep seeing how people use Disney Gift Cards as a way of saving.

I will be in LA for a few days before I go to Disneyland so I will be able to get to Target. Im wondering would it be worth it to buy a Disney Gift Card and would it save me money.

For example, if I pay $100 in Target for a gift card, would I gain any money? Im a bit confused
No, there's no savings for you since you don't have a Target RedCard Debit Card or a Target RedCard Credit Card. That's the only way to get the 5% off the Disney gift cards.

I love buying disney gift cards. Makes me feel like my trip is getting close when the amount gets up there. It really has helped me save. I buy 25 or 50 a week. You can look online for discounted giftcard sites. Sometimes you can save4-8% on large cards. I like giftcardgranny.com shows me more than one site

Last edited:

There are rumors that the 5% isnt coming off the Disney gift cards anymore at Target

https://weeklyad.target.com/promotions?code=Target-20190414&page=2

I certainly believe that there have been some issues here or there, but Target, at least at this very moment, is still actively advertising the 5% of gift cards and they show an actual Disney gift card. So I think it's fair to say that any rumor that they are not offering the 5% discount on Disney cards at all is not true, at least until the end of this week. :)

One benefit with the Disney gift cards is that they don't expire in CA. So, for example, if you buy a $100 Disney gift card (since there will be no discount, it doesn't matter if you buy it at Target, at WOD, or someplace else) and only use $75 during your trip, the remaining $25 will still be good until your next trip. People also like using the gift cards as a way to keep track of their in-parks food spending -- sort of like a dining plan, since DLR doesn't have one.

One benefit with the Disney gift cards is that they don't expire in CA. So, for example, if you buy a $100 Disney gift card (since there will be no discount, it doesn't matter if you buy it at Target, at WOD, or someplace else) and only use $75 during your trip, the remaining $25 will still be good until your next trip. People also like using the gift cards as a way to keep track of their in-parks food spending -- sort of like a dining plan, since DLR doesn't have one.

Thanks, thats the same with the pre paid card I have. Its in US Dollars, so I convert Euros to Dollars and then put the Dollars onto the card. Its a POST FX Card I get at the Post office. Ive been using it for years, and like the gift cards, its non expiring, so any money left is good for my next trip :)

Thanks, thats the same with the pre paid card I have. Its in US Dollars, so I convert Euros to Dollars and then put the Dollars onto the card. Its a POST FX Card I get at the Post office. Ive been using it for years, and like the gift cards, its non expiring, so any money left is good for my next trip :)
Can you get a Disney Rewards Visa? The rewards points can be put on a Rewards Card that can be used like a gift card in the parks (e.g. for tickets, merchandise, food, etc.) or you can buy Disney gift cards using your points on the Rewards Card. (We do this at WOD.) As long as we pay off our monthly balance in full, the Disney Visa points are a nice perk.

Can you get a Disney Rewards Visa? The rewards points can be put on a Rewards Card that can be used like a gift card in the parks (e.g. for tickets, merchandise, food, etc.) or you can buy Disney gift cards using points on the Rewards Card. (We do this at WOD.) As long as we pay off our monthly balance in full, the Disney Visa points are a nice perk.

I dont think so, I'll check it out, I think thats only for Americans as you need an American bank account. Ugh its so frustrating being an international regualr visitor to Disneyland California!

I dont think so, I'll check it out, I think thats only for Americans as you need an American bank account. Ugh its so frustrating being an international regualr visitor to Disneyland California!
On your next visit, you can stop by a Disney Visa kiosk (there's at least one in DTD) to ask about this. It would be great if it worked out for you!

On your next visit, you can stop by a Disney Visa kiosk (there's at least one in DTD) to ask about this. It would be great if it worked out for you!

thanks, I know its hard opening a bank account now a days, you have to have a social security number and proof of address in the country, which as a tourist I dont have. sigh..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter