Help me pick my Disney hotel

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
Hey

Me and my partner, no kids are planing our Disney trip for November 2019 and wanted a bit of help picking our hotel

We are both late 20s and just can't decide what hotel to pick for two weeks

We would love to stay in animal kingdom lodge but I think that would be out our budget or would mean going for less time which puts me of as we are coming from UK

So looks like it will need to be a mod hotel

We have done CSR so want somewhere different this time

We liked the sound of carribean beach resort and like how the sky liner will be there then too

We looked at POR, am not sure if the theamimg is for me, but I don't no much about it to be honest. I do like the look of the royal rooms though

Anyway let me no what you think

if you want to save money with go with Pop or AS - both are nice hotels. they don't restaurants. they do have pretty decent food courts.

Pop has a lake - the AS did not.

if you want to save money with go with Pop or AS - both are nice hotels. they don't restaurants. they do have pretty decent food courts.

Pop has a lake - the AS did not.

We rather a mod hotel. And in uk you normally get free dinning if you pick a mod hotel too. Well it's been like that for years now but need to wait and see

Hey

Me and my partner, no kids are planing our Disney trip for November 2019 and wanted a bit of help picking our hotel

We are both late 20s and just can't decide what hotel to pick for two weeks

We would love to stay in animal kingdom lodge but I think that would be out our budget or would mean going for less time which puts me of as we are coming from UK

So looks like it will need to be a mod hotel

We have done CSR so want somewhere different this time

We liked the sound of carribean beach resort and like how the sky liner will be there then too

We looked at POR, am not sure if the theamimg is for me, but I don't no much about it to be honest. I do like the look of the royal rooms though

Anyway let me no what you think
Given that you're a couple looking for a nice resort on a non-deluxe budget, I recommend staying at one of the offsite hotels within the WDW gates, such as the Bonnet Creek Hilton or the Swan. I personally wouldn't be willing to pay Disney prices for a moderate resort, given that they have exterior doors, internal transportation systems that can take a while, and no table service dining. Just my two cents.

Given that you're a couple looking for a nice resort on a non-deluxe budget, I recommend staying at one of the offsite hotels within the WDW gates, such as the Bonnet Creek Hilton or the Swan. I personally wouldn't be willing to pay Disney prices for a moderate resort, given that they have exterior doors, internal transportation systems that can take a while, and no table service dining. Just my two cents.

Hey. But as we live in UK the chances are we will get the free dinning which makes it better value and we defo want a Disney hotel for sure

I recommend POFQ. It's cozy (based on its smaller size), and quiet. I really like the ability to take a boat to Disney Springs. It's by far my fave moderate resort.

I recommend POFQ. It's cozy (based on its smaller size), and quiet. I really like the ability to take a boat to Disney Springs. It's by far my fave moderate resort.

Does look quite nice. What makes you pick POFQ instead of riverside

do you ever go to Disney Springs? if you do you will love POR/FQ - they have a boat to take you back and forth. believe me most of the time the boat is faster than the bus (which has to make stops not only at DS but TL too)

have stayed at CBR a couple of times - just you are prepared to walk and I mean walk - you will be fine there. It is beautiful - but I walk enough in the parks coming back to a resort and having to walk all over there gets old.

(oh I am old)

Does look quite nice. What makes you pick POFQ instead of riverside
It's smaller and easier to get around. I once stayed in a room 3 doors away from the food court and it was incredibly quiet. At end of a long day in the parks, it was nice to come back and only have a short walk to my room. The theming, styled like the French Quarter in New Orleans, is charming.

do you ever go to Disney Springs? if you do you will love POR/FQ - they have a boat to take you back and forth. believe me most of the time the boat is faster than the bus (which has to make stops not only at DS but TL too)

have stayed at CBR a couple of times - just you are prepared to walk and I mean walk - you will be fine there. It is beautiful - but I walk enough in the parks coming back to a resort and having to walk all over there gets old.

(oh I am old)

Would you walking in CBR but more than what we done in CSR, it did look good been able to go on the sky liner though, so by then that might be quicker than the bus system, never no

Yeah Disney springs is good, sounds nice the wee boat ride across

Cant pick between CBR and POR, hard one

well the last time I stayed at CSR they have the shuttle van to get around as well as the buses. So yes it is also a big resort - but at the time that was taken care of by other transportation. Definitely like the pool at CSR better.

POR is also a big resort - but is organized better - the food court/shops/lobby is central located and that make it easier

Have you considered doing a split stay? Since you will be there for 2 weeks, this might be a nice option. Do you first week at a Mod and the second week at AKL. Then, you would get some time at AKL without totally blowing the budget. If you go this route, Disney will move your luggage on move day. You just pack up your bags and drop them off with Bell Services and ask them to transfer them to your next resort. Then go off to the park for the day. At the end of your day, just head to your new resort. Keep in mind that your room at the new resort might not be ready until later in the afternoon/evening. So don't plan for a resort day on move day. :)

Happy planning!!

Have you considered doing a split stay? Since you will be there for 2 weeks, this might be a nice option. Do you first week at a Mod and the second week at AKL. Then, you would get some time at AKL without totally blowing the budget. If you go this route, Disney will move your luggage on move day. You just pack up your bags and drop them off with Bell Services and ask them to transfer them to your next resort. Then go off to the park for the day. At the end of your day, just head to your new resort. Keep in mind that your room at the new resort might not be ready until later in the afternoon/evening. So don't plan for a resort day on move day. :)

Happy planning!!

Yeah did think of that, but think we just want to do the one hotel for the full stay and even then AKL is a bit out of our budget just for the week even

Just can't decide what one

I'd add to the suggestion of POFQ, with river view. Great for couples, boat ride to Disney Springs, New Orleans theme. Small to navigate, no home to grab a drink at the food court etc. Beignets fresh in the AM ;)

I'd add to the suggestion of POFQ, with river view. Great for couples, boat ride to Disney Springs, New Orleans theme. Small to navigate, no home to grab a drink at the food court etc. Beignets fresh in the AM ;)

Looks nice too

We really are stuck and can't decide

Riverside is really lovely, has a river running through it and it's just relaxing and wonderful. POFQ is lovely, as well, but it doesn't usually participate in free dining or many discounts.

Behind AKL, the Port Orleans resorts are my favorite .

If you are going for 2 weeks i would consider doing a split stay -- start with the least expensive resort for a few days 4-5 days, then a moderate for another 4 days, then end your stay at AKL. The thought of a split stay seems like a pain, but when you can experience 3 different vacations in one it adds to the thrill of the trip. disney makes it super easy to have them pick up your luggage and move it to the new resort while you go off any enjoy the parks. With it only being 2 adults it makes it much easier than if you were packing up children and all their belongings.

I was on the fence about doing a split for my party of 7, but instead of doing AKL for a week we opted to go to the Poly for our first 3 nights then off to a 2 bedroom at AKL and we couldn't be more thrilled. On our transfer day we will have bell services pick up our bags at 7am, we will grab the bus and go to animal kingdom park, at 4ish we will go to AKL, get to our room get ready and have dinner at Sanaa, then back off to AK park for the evening.

I highly recommend a split you won't be disappointed because you will get to experience both the deluxe and the moderate resorts and not feel like you are missing out. To save a little money you could do a value for the first leg and just build up to that deluxe for the end of your trip

Yeah we have thought about the split stay but decided we just want the one hotel the full trip

Sounds like POR is nice

I don’t hear anyone really saying to go for CBR

All the moderates have their pros/cons and there are many fans for each one. The mod that seems to get the most negative responses does seem to be CBR, however. It has been a while since we stayed at CBR, but we loved the 'tropical island' setting. The rooms were comfortable and the pool area was very nice. WE found the buses to be fine at all the mods, with a mix of good and less perfect experiences at all of them.
We have stayed in all four moderates and I like each for various reasons.

Theming has a large impact for many people, so it is a good idea to take a look at pics online to see which one appeals the most to you.

AFAIK, both CSR and CBR are still undergoing renovations. If that will be true for your dates, I would recommend staying in either POR or POFQ.

POR is large and spread out. If you are booking a standard room you may be distant from the main building with the food court, gift shop, TS restaurant, check in, etc. That walk bothers some people but not others. If the convenience of being close to everything is important to you, then the small overall size of POFQ may be the better option. POR has multiple bus stops while POFQ has only one - which is another reason many people opt for POFQ. Personally, we prefer POR for theme/atmosphere, better pool (IMO) and the larger range of amenities. We sometimes book preferred rooms for convenience at the larger moderate resorts. The Royal Rooms are cute but cost quite a bit more than the 'regular' rooms. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money for this especially if there are any budget issues. The regular rooms are also very nicely decorated and the impact of the Royal Rooms is short lived relative to the ongoing expense. A preferred room in the AB section is our choice for a stay at POR. It is both beautiful and convenient to stay there.

FYI: I would keep checking prices at POR and AKL, especially if any discounts are offered. We have sometimes found that the discounted rate of a standard view at AKL is almost the same as the rate for a royal room with a pool view at POR.

Have fun choosing!!!

I've stayed at CSR (twice and will be there in 2 weeks) CBR and POR and all have something to offer. I can't say I've had a bad experience at any of them but if I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the one you don't want to stay at, POR. I stayed in the mansion side and really liked the peaceful quiet feel of the place. I usually just stay at whichever one is cheaper since I don't find anything distasteful about any of them. Have you thought about maybe a split stay? Start out at one of the moderates then maybe do 3 days at AKL just to get the feel of the place? Or even do a 3 way split since you are going to be there for so long. 3 or 4 days at a value to start and do your heavy park days, move to a mod for a week then over to AKL for the last part?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter