Help me pick a resort! (Please)

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
The only on site hotels we have stayed at are All Star Sports and Coronado Springs. We loved them both (especially CSR) but want to try something different.

I can get AKL or WL pretty cheaply but I am unfamiliar with these resorts. How convenient are they to things? Is it a horrible bus ride? We would be getting standard rooms so is it worth it to do one of these or should we stick to the moderates? How are the pools here?

Next question, if we go moderates, I am leaning towards POR, Bayous. Tell me a little something about this place.

We would only be going for 2 or 3 nights and would want to spend some time at the resort, a visit to Disney Quest, as well as probably 2 park days.

Where would you stay?

All input (good and bad) is appreciated!

I think you would really love AKL and WL even in a standard room. :) AKL is beautiful, and also new. If you think you'd enjoy seeing the animals then that's your place. :) WL is also great, you are a short boatride from MK. :)

I would steer clear of POR since parts of it are going to be under rehab. ;)

There are a lot of opinions for all the resorts. I love the AKL!!! The atmoshpere is just amazing. Being able to sit and watch the animals is nice. It only has bus transportation, but I have never been dissappointed with it.

WL woods view is fantastic - nice pool, the geyser is a lot of fun as well - DS loved taking the boat to the MK - it made it very special for him.

I would recommend WL strongly especially if you have younger kids

Cannot speak for AKL since I have not stayed there

Thanks
jaysue

Wow, sounds like nobody thinks I should go for the moderates.

More info about AKL and WL accessability to the parks and DTD please.

Also, how large/spread out are these resorts.

Tell me about the pools.

Kids are 7 & 10.

The mods are perfectly ok - depends upon budget, your priorities, do you have a car while there, do you plan to use DIS transportation etc.

We are booked right now for 3 nights at the POR Bayous which have beautiful grounds:

http://www.wdwig.com/archive60.htm

Nothing wrong - just need to be aware depending when you go that there could be renovations going on nearby

As for WL:

Boat to MK (we never waited more then 5-10 minutes) and then have monorail access to the TTC or GF/Poly/CR or to Epcot but the bus to Epcot from WL is faster
Boat to FW
Boat to CR
Bus everywhere else - quite fast and dependable

WL is pretty compact since it has about 700 rooms plus the DVC Villas are next door so it is not a sprawling complex

If leaving MK at peak time (post fireworks or close for example) may have to wait for one or two boats before there is space - we often left at 15 minutes prior to closing to get the boat back quickly since DS is only 3 and we did not want to push the envelope

As for the pool it is great - it starts with a spring in the lobby and turns into a stream and then cascades into a large pool with a nice slide as well - there is a kiddy pool as well (not that your kids will need it) and a quiet pool on the Villas side. There is also a non-swimming beach on Bay Lake and bikes for rent to bike to FW if looking for exercise

There is a fitness club as well

Two restaurants and one food court - Whispering Canyon and Artists Point and Roaring Forks - can access info on Restaurants Board

OK I think that covers the major points

Thanks
Jason

With kids ages 7 and 10 I bet they would LOVE AKL. :) I'd go for that. :)

AKL is our new favorite resort. Great property, surroundings, nice pool, with hot tubS, lots to do.

Personally I would rather stay at CSR than many of the deluxe resorts. I've stayed at CSR once and Poly 3 times.....After staying at CSR I found I like it better than the Poly. CBR I was not too crazy about.

We don't buy into the theory that certain resorts are better than others just because they have the "deluxe" tag on them.

Agreed Bob NC - each hotel has its own charm and reasons to stay and it is totally arbitrary to say a delux is better than a mod or value

Thanks
jason

AKL has busses to every Disney location, and depending on who you ask, they are either very dependable or awful (funny how there's no middle ground on this one;) ). The AKL has fewer recreation options and only 1 pool, but it has the animals and two of the best restaurants on property. WL has the better transportation of the two resorts for reasons listed above.

For your specific set of circumstances, I would definitely go with the WL. A standard room at the AKL means a view of nothing, so you miss on the animals, plus the added inconvenience of road noise from the nearby highway. AKL is all about the animals, so if you end up in a standard room, you're really missing out on the whole experience of the resort. A standard room at the WL isn't a great view, it's usually roof tops and trees in the distance or maybe a service entrance to the resort, but the amenities of the resort more than make up for a lackluster view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter