Help me justify an extra $3000

If your only reason for moving is the dogs, then no I wouldn't do the increase. However if you only picked POR for price and would enjoy the additional amenities Boardwalk offers, I'd say do it. Better pool, nicer feeling resort, more TS restaurants, EP/HS and Boardwalk proximity is all worth it to me. I love the Epcot area resorts and almost never stay anywhere else if I can help it (although I am trying out AKL this December). The convenience of being near Epcot and HS is huge for us, and (in MY OPINION ONLY) POR is nowhere near the same quality resort as BWI (or BC, or YC)...I know a lot of people love it, and it's not a bad place, but not on the same level at all in my experience. We also love the shows on the Boardwalk and being near Beaches & Cream, Boardwalk Bakery and some of the other restaurants there. So for us, yes, 100% worth the increase--but that has very little to do with the dogs (although I'm not a fan of this happening, either).

I can't help but wonder if, when they had the animals at their resorts during the hurricane, that they got positive feedback. And that is what is leading this. Also, the Dis isn't exactly what I would call a large portion of their guests. We are a small minority, as much as we like to think we are the big dogs.

As far as not wanting a room that a dog was in, unless it was not cleaned, how would you know? Not to mention, there are already service animals at the resort. There already is no guarantee your room didn't previously have a dog in it.

That is a really good point about Disney receiving positive feedback during the Hurricane (which they deserved, IMO). I imagine that did play a part in this decision.

As for your question about whether someone would know if there were a dog in the room or not, I am not sure. I personally wouldn't mind, but I could see why the whole concept would make someone who is very allergic to them nervous.

That is a really good point about Disney receiving positive feedback during the Hurricane (which they deserved, IMO). I imagine that did play a part in this decision.

As for your question about whether someone would know if there were a dog in the room or not, I am not sure. I personally wouldn't mind, but I could see why the whole concept would make someone who is very allergic to them nervous.

I agree. I'm allergic to cats, and would hate for the resorts to become cat friendly. But Disney has always been very good at dealing with allergies. I have to think they will be with this too.

If anyone can do it, it's you guys!!!

I'm currently booked at POR with some discount or another (it wasn't great...saved us like $50.) My nightly total is in the $231 range for a garden view in AB. I've got 3 rooms booked to accommodate my 15 guests.

BUT

They announced dogs will be allowed at POR. I'm not into this.

Furthermore, I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at BWI. it's almost $3000 for me to do this. Do I dare? What are some selling points I might not be thinking of? TIA!
If you can afford it, I recommend it. The Boardwalk is a very nice resort, and since you've always wanted to stay there, that seems perfect.

I agree with a PP that the mods are way overpriced for what they offer, which is basically a dressed-up motel room that might require a lot of outdoor walking to reach, and an internal bus system. Add to that possible dog barking and mess...no.

If you cab afford it, I recommend it. The Boardwalk is a very nice resort, and since you'be always wanted to stay at one, that seems perfect.

I agree with s PP that the mods are way overpriced for what they offer, which is basically a dressed-up motel room that might require a lot of outdoor walking to reach, and an internal bus system...

Umm, only one moderate has an internal bus system. And not all deluxe resorts have all indoor walking either. The Poly and the Contemporary both come to mind as the guests needing to go outdoors (you can upgrade to the tower at the Contemporary to avoid it, but talk about a price increase!)

We've stayed at POR and also both BC and YC. We like the proximity of BC/YC to Epcot and DS but in some ways we prefer the POR resort. In recent years we have opted to stay at the Swan instead as it tends to be a quieter resort, something we prefer. Now for $3000 I would not move to BWI. The info so far is that dogs will be in limited areas. If the dogs are a problem for you and your family, add a note to your reservations that due to allergies, phobias or whatever that you need rooms far away from the dog trial rooms.

Umm, only one moderate has an internal bus system. And not all deluxe resorts have all indoor walking either. The Poly and the Contemporary both come to mind as the guests needing to go outdoors (you can upgrade to the tower at the Contemporary to avoid it, but talk about a price increase!)
The mod this poster would be at has an internal bus system, and the outdoor walking at deluxes (especially the Contemporary) is minimal compared to the moderates.

I'm a huge fan of Boardwalk, actually we will close on a BWV DVC resale contract on Monday. We have also stayed at POR in 2011. If I were paying for the rooms of others as well, I would stick to POR since $3,000 is a huge chunk of money to us. If your friends have not stayed at BW before, then they really don't know what they are missing. They will have a great time at POR. I actually find it to be a really nice resort, but just hate it that we have to take buses everywhere. I didn't find the quality of pool to be any different for my kids between BW and POR.... and for many kids, that is what they member about a trip.... LOL!
Personally, I would stay at POR as planned and enjoy time with your friends, and save that money for your next family trip to stay at BW.

If anyone can do it, it's you guys!!!

I'm currently booked at POR with some discount or another (it wasn't great...saved us like $50.) My nightly total is in the $231 range for a garden view in AB. I've got 3 rooms booked to accommodate my 15 guests.

BUT

They announced dogs will be allowed at POR. I'm not into this.

Furthermore, I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at BWI. it's almost $3000 for me to do this. Do I dare? What are some selling points I might not be thinking of? TIA!

I'm sorry... I cannot help you justify this, because I don't think Disney is giving you logical, sane or fair choices.
You should immediately reach out to Guest Services and ask them this question, in all seriousness, the ultimatum being of course, a free upgrade to a different resort, or a cancelled resort stay.

Stick to your guns ; you should never have been put in this position by Disney to begin with!!!

I love love love the Boardwalk. $3000 is hard to justify but if you do it...buy Disney gift cards from BJs or Target and save 5%

If you have always wanted to stay at the BWI and have the $$$, why not do it if you feel it will make your vacation better. BWI is a nicer resort and location. On the other hand remaining at POR will, in all likelihood, be fine as well. Good luck!

Just a thought because it would be far less, why not move to POFQ and do 4 rooms, that might cost $800 or so but not the $3000. To me, there is a good and bad to each resort, we love both, but that said I would say our favorite is POFQ. And with POFQ if you would rather use to pool at POR you can because they share pools, just hop on the boat for 5 min or walk in about 7 min. Same with the restaraunts just hop the boat and your there. I would say the buses at POFQ are much better than either of the other two options, POR sometimes shares with POFQ and FQ is always first picked up. I hated the buses at BWI. So I would say, POFQ 4 rooms and save some of that money for a great meal.

Just a thought because it would be far less, why not move to POFQ and do 4 rooms, that might cost $800 or so but not the $3000. To me, there is a good and bad to each resort, we love both, but that said I would say our favorite is POFQ. And with POFQ if you would rather use to pool at POR you can because they share pools, just hop on the boat for 5 min or walk in about 7 min. Same with the restaraunts just hop the boat and your there. I would say the buses at POFQ are much better than either of the other two options, POR sometimes shares with POFQ and FQ is always first picked up. I hated the buses at BWI. So I would say, POFQ 4 rooms and save some of that money for a great meal.

That would be great if there was availability at POFQ...there's not. There was 1 room at BWI, but that won't be enough for us either. I'm considering just booking the one BWI and hoping 2 more open up.

To give you an update last night I wrote that a 1 bedroom at SSR was missing the last night you needed now that night is available when I just checked so
if you took the chance you would have at least one complete stay for your dates in a 1 bedroom....just a little food for thought..

Umm, only one moderate has an internal bus system.

I know that POR/POFQ and Ft. Wilderness do have Internal Buses as we've used them at both resorts. I've read on the CSR Thread that it does, though we have no personal experience.

Last edited:
Part of the reason I feel an upgrade to a deluxe is worth it is because we have found that deluxe experiences result in fewer trips for us, but the *quality* of those trips is so much more satisfying. I'm not sure if I am making much sense but basically, every time we stayed at POR, we had a good time, but little things like wanting to sit outside of the room and chat while the kids were sleeping meant walking all the way (20 min!) to the *loud* lobby or sitting on the outside corridor concrete getting eaten up by mosquitoes. There were lots of little things like that that make it just a little less amazing. So then after our trips, we're left with wanting more, and we book more trips, etc. When we stay deluxe, we are left so perfectly satisfied. It FEELS deluxe in ways mods don't (and I am all for mods in certain situations. Again, we have stayed at POR plenty and it was always a great time.) But for a trip with 15 people from at least two different families? That will have its own challenges and stresses, and I think the upgrade is worth it. This is what Disney would have called a "Grand Gathering" back when they had those, and I think Grand Gatherings need good spaces for the large group to gather! POR doesn't really have that. The lobby really isn't a gathering space, and there are no other resorts within walking distance. At Boardwalk, you can go to the Swan, Dolphin, Beach Club, Yacht Club, etc. TONS of gathering space for a group that size.

I could never justify that! 3k is just about what I'm paying total (room, gas, tickets, food, etc.) for my 8 night trip next month

I know that POR/POFQ and Ft. Wilderness do have Internal Buses as we've used them at both resorts. I've read on the CSR Thread that it does, though we have no personal experience.
Pofq has only one stop. No way to have an internal bus. Por does not have one either. Maybe you are thinking the park buses? CSR had one but hasn't for a while.

Pofq has only one stop. No way to have an internal bus. Por does not have one either.

The Internal serves both resorts and Disney Springs. I've been on it a couple times. From the bus/transportation section of portorleans.org:

Internal Shuttle
The Disney Springs service is the only exception to the above rule, calling first at French Quarterand then Riverside South, West, North and East, then finally adding an extra stop back at French Quarter before heading back to Disney Springs. The marquees on the buses will update to read “Internal Resort Shuttle” upon entering the resort area and then switch to read either “Disney Springs / Typhoon Lagoon” prior to 1pm, or just “Disney Springs” for the rest of the day.

CSRZ had one but hasn't for a while.

Just checked with a friend who was there last week, it's still running. Like POR/POFQ it services Disney Springs too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter