Help me justify an extra $3000

I found Abracadabar a MUCH more pleasant place to enjoy an evening drink than the bar at POR, which is loud. Fun a few times, but not a place to chill and chat. It's way easier (and nicer) to have one of the older kids watch the youngers while the adults head down to Abracadabar (or grab a glass of wine at Trattoria) than at POR. Also, WAY more food options in the BWI area.

Have you looked into renting DVC points? That would probably be around the same budget for POR. Look into getting a 2 bedroom plus single or 3 singles. BWI has lower points cost so it's a decent way to save.

ETA: I looked at second week in Sept 2018 for a week in a studio, it's 76 points. If you pay $15 per point, that is $1140 for the week, or ~162/night. September is low period so this may change depending on when you go, but wanted to give you some numbers.

I went ahead and called....they have absolutely no availability for our dates ANYWHERE. Not even a grand villa.

So basically it works out to be an extra $200 per guest. If you break it down that way it doesn't sound as scary as $3000. You are going from a moderate to a deluxe -have you priced out another moderate that is not allowing pets? That is an awful big increase. If it was under $1000 then i would say go for it, but for that extra $3000 you could probably do a couple dessert parties or other specialty tours to enhance the trip. $3000 on a room isn't a great improvement. If the dogs are an issue just make sure you note on the reservations that you have people highly allergic to dogs so that when making the room assignments you can assure you have a pet free room. As far as just dogs at the resorts i don't think it will be a huge issue. I don't think too many people want to bring their pets when they are spending their day at the parks. I think it is an incidental issue that shouldn't impact your trip.

I wouldn't do it. I can't justify $3,000 like that. I highly doubt the resort will be crawling with dogs. As much as I love dogs, I wouldn't want to bring mine on a WDW trip and have to regularly stop back at the hotel to let him outside.

Edit to add: I'm also that person who would bring my dog everywhere if I could. But I wouldn't bring him to WDW. That wouldn't be fair to him or me.

This. I love my dog. I take him to my parents' house, my sister's house, my uncle's house (they all offer, and I gladly accept). NO WAY am I bringing him to WDW. I think even though some people will be happy to do so, I would venture a guess that the majority of guests staying at the resort will not have their pet with them. I also am in the camp that $3000 is another vacation for me. I just can't justify that cost increase to avoid a dog or two.

If anyone can do it, it's you guys!!!

I'm currently booked at POR with some discount or another (it wasn't great...saved us like $50.) My nightly total is in the $231 range for a garden view in AB. I've got 3 rooms booked to accommodate my 15 guests.

BUT

They announced dogs will be allowed at POR. I'm not into this.

Furthermore, I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at BWI. it's almost $3000 for me to do this. Do I dare? What are some selling points I might not be thinking of? TIA!
For us no not worth it.
Have you tried looking into a TA exclusive deal to see if your dates are included? If not I would look into it before deciding.

If anyone can do it, it's you guys!!!

I'm currently booked at POR with some discount or another (it wasn't great...saved us like $50.) My nightly total is in the $231 range for a garden view in AB. I've got 3 rooms booked to accommodate my 15 guests.

BUT

They announced dogs will be allowed at POR. I'm not into this.

Furthermore, I've ALWAYS wanted to stay at BWI. it's almost $3000 for me to do this. Do I dare? What are some selling points I might not be thinking of? TIA!

Call The Swan and see what rate you can get for your dates. It's about 100 times nicer than POR and often costs less.

what are your exact dates
I went ahead and called....they have absolutely no availability for our dates ANYWHERE. Not even a grand villa.

Help as I'm confused.. I read the entire thread and at no point did you say your a DVC member so who did you call because you can't call
DVC member services if your not a member so how do you know what's available thru a member as someone mentioned you should rent points....
also what are your exact dates?

what are your exact dates

Help as I'm confused.. I read the entire thread and at no point did you say your a DVC member so who did you call because you can't call
DVC member services if your not a member so how do you know what's available thru a member as someone mentioned you should rent points....
also what are your exact dates?

I called DVC request. I'm not a DVC member. I'm there 1/6-1/13.

the only problem with DVC member services whether online or talking to a live person is they don't show how many rooms are available for a given date
so you would have to book a room then see if the same dates show again to book another room but as of right now they show ssr 1 bedroom 6 of the 7 nights available
missing last night...ssr 2 bedroom 4 consecutive nights in middle of your dates ssr studio 3 consecutive nights in the middle of your dates and ssr 3 bedroom 2 consecutive nights in the middle..
things change all the time if I were you I would only book a room only reservation so you up until 5 nights out to cancel without penalty so you have that much time to keep checking to see if you can rent points.
Truth be told $3000 is a lot of money no matter how many people are going or how you want to slice it. I will keep checking for you....

I wouldn't move. I highly doubt many people will bring their dogs to WDW. It is simply too much hassle. $3000 is too much money to move to avoid something that may not be there to bother you.

I would love to stay at a deluxe resort every trip. And every time I'm at WDW I think "Next time, I'll stay at the Poly/the Contemporary/the Beach Club. But once I'm home and run the numbers, nope. Can't do it. As other posters have pointed out, $3000 is another stay!

I couldn't justify $3000 -- that's almost another trip.

BUT I also want to say that I think people are overreacting to the dog issue. If it were up to me, I would not allow pets. But there have already been service animals at EVERY resort. Quite a few of them, every day. I honestly don't think there will be many MORE animals with this new policy. It's not cheap -- you can board a dog for what they are charging per night. And most dog owners would not want to bring a dog and leave them in an unfamiliar room, alone, for up to 7 hours every day. I just don't think these resort are going to be overrun with pets. But I guess time will tell!

Yes, sad to say, the test is a year long.

I am really surprised by the fact that a test period is a year long...you would have thought Disney would have known it wouldn't be that well received (with so many people that suffer from allergies or are afraid of dogs, or just don't want to be in a room that was previously inhabited by them). I will honestly be shocked if it makes it to the year mark before someone is bit or something.

I like animals more than I like people and even I think this isn't a very good idea lol

Not able to help you justify that kind of an increase. I agree with you regarding the dog policy, but $3000 ....whew...that's a lot!

I am really surprised by the fact that a test period is a year long...you would have thought Disney would have known it wouldn't be that well received (with so many people that suffer from allergies or are afraid of dogs, or just don't want to be in a room that was previously inhabited by them). I will honestly be shocked if it makes it to the year mark before someone is bit or something.

I like animals more than I like people and even I think this isn't a very good idea lol

I can't help but wonder if, when they had the animals at their resorts during the hurricane, that they got positive feedback. And that is what is leading this. Also, the Dis isn't exactly what I would call a large portion of their guests. We are a small minority, as much as we like to think we are the majority.

As far as not wanting a room that a dog was in, unless it was not cleaned, how would you know? Not to mention, there are already service animals at the resort. There already is no guarantee your room didn't previously have a dog in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter