Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by hakunamomtata, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM.

1. hakunamomtata

hakunamomtata Disnerd Extraordinaire

Next fall we will be traveling to WDW with my parents for their first trip!

Our party will be : My husband, myself, our 2 sons, my mom and my dad. (4 adults, 2 kids)

We are planning to rent DVC points... and have narrowed it down to the following resorts. The cost of these has already been weighed and they all basically balance out.

* I know we are doing a 2BR Villa for sanity's sake *

Animal Kingdom Lodge, standard room
    Boardwalk, standard
    Old Key West, standard
    Saratoga Springs, standard

We are renting points through Davids Vacation Rentals, so any comments regarding experience with them or the like are really appreciated! Also any tips, comments, etc about renting DVC points are welcome. Thanks a bunch!

2. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

One comment.
    You are pricing and counting on Standard. - the cheapest option. It is very likely they will not be available to rent. Since the require fewer points, owners scoop them up and they never hit the rental market. There is also way fewer of them to begin with. You may find it at OKW or SSR but highly unlikely at BW or AK.
    You are looking at DVCs busiest time of the year “ Fall Frenzy” If you are thinking of next Fall you should book soon

robinb likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. verleniahall

verleniahall DIS Veteran

Is there a reason u are going sith a villa? Are you planning a lot of time in the room?

If not, have u considered 2 rooms at a value or moderate resort instead?

5. Marionnette

Marionnette Children see magic because they look for it

It appears like you are seeking the "cheapest" villas. All BWV 2BR villas are composed of a studio + 1BR. Studios go very quickly and standard studios are extremely hard to get, which means that at BWV, 2BR villas also disappear. I would either scratch BWV off the list or budget for a Pool/Garden View villa.

OKW and SSR are the most likely to result in a successful rental. There are more owners and the resorts have more villas. Of the two, I would choose OKW because it is just finishing a renovation. The 2BRs are also larger that other resorts and they have full-size washers and dryers. The 2nd bedroom has two Q beds instead of 1 Q and a sleeper sofa. SSR will be beginning renovations in the spring of 2019. You are likely to get a villa that appears to need some TLC rather than a freshly redone unit.

As for AKV, a standard view 2BR at Kidani will have 3 bathrooms. That's a nice plus. The 2BR villas in Jambo House do not have a 3rd bathroom. Also, make sure that you are looking at the price for Std. and not Value villas. The Value category is hard to book, all Value 2BRs consist of a studio + 1BR (so, the same availability issue as BWV) and are smaller than other AKV 2BR villas. But the resort has recently had the pool area at Jambo House redone and there are a lot of activities for the kids.

DVC owners have been discussing how it appears that a lot of owners are "walking" fall reservations in order to get what they want next fall. Brokers won't take those steps to acquire a villa for a rental. Regardless of what resort you choose, you should jump on it soon. Owners are currently able to book stays that begin on Oct. 9, 2019. If you're looking at a fall stay that starts before that date, you're already behind the curve.

6. rwdavis2

rwdavis2 DIS Veteran

As was mentioned, don't assume you will get the room you want. Have a backup plan. In 2016 we rented points for a BWV studio room 11 months out and got it through another points broker. That one offered cancellation insurance which was not the best but the overall experience was perfect.

7. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman Mouseketeer

Boardwalk is the clear winner for me. But to get a standard view, and the lower rate, you better request soon!

robinb likes this.
  8. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

I would recommend, in order:

Boardwalk - standard view
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - standard view (guaranteed pool view)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani - standard view
    Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House - value view (smaller villa, fewer points, could be any view)
    Old Key West - no difference in "views". No elevators in most buildings.
    Saratoga Springs - standard view - probably my least favorite resort but the easiest to get into.

If you're looking at Fall 2019 and you want one of the cheaper standard or value views you will want to find a DVC owner with points at your preferred resort NOW. BWV standard view and AKV value view are already sold out for the last week of October.

9. Marionnette

Marionnette Children see magic because they look for it

Given that we are only in the first full week of Nov., and that owners can only book their first night 11 months in advance to the day, and that they can only book 7 nights at a time right at 11 months, there is no way that the last week of October 2019 is booked up at any DVC resort yet. At best, the latest week that could possibly be booked up would be October 9-16, 2019.

Are you sure that you didn't mean the last week of September?

10. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

Whoops. Yes, I meant September into October.

11. foodiddiedoo

foodiddiedoo Mouseketeer

What about a Treehouse Villa? It has 3 full bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and is really unique...not sure if they are a lot more expensive than a standard SSR 2 bedroom.

12. 2xcited2sleep

2xcited2sleep DIS Veteran

What are your priorities for the trip / will you focus on any park(s) in particular? Assuming availability, I’d pick Boardwalk... but a fall trip for us would likely be centered around the Epcot Food & Wine Festival & the ability to walk into World Showcase would be key. There are pros and cons to each resort.