Help me choose a Moderate

rocketman

Earning My Ears
Two years ago my wife, two sons (ages 5 and 7 then), and I stayed at All Star Movies. I currently have reservations at All Star Music in October. If discounts are offered for Moderates in October I am considering switching if the price is close to my current non-discounted rate for All Stars. I would like to try a Moderate since Music will be similar to Movies. My sons will be 7 and 9 for our next trip. Would my sons like All Stars better? I have seen that some Moderates have slides at their pools which I think my sons would enjoy. Which moderate would you recommend and which building/area? I would like to be near the main themed pool, food, and bus stop. Thanks.

I think it depends on the theme you want. The size of the rooms at the moderates are all similar. The decor inside and out is quite different though.

We have stayed at the PO-Riverside and FQ. We like both. But, with your boys Riverside might be better. They have a playground that older kids really like. Lots of climbing, etc. The pool is nice and they have a slide. There is a fishing hole right by the main pool area. The food court is wonderful for families. Lots of selection and very easy to navigate. You can rent bikes and/or boats there at the resort.

I haven't stayed in the mansions just the Alligator Bayou. In that section you would want to request Bldg 15, 16 or 18. Preferably Bldg. 15 and 18. You might request bldg 14 which is the absolute closest to everything but it is reserved for guests with disabilities, making it tough to get into. These bldgs. would put you by the first bus stop, which is nice.

There is also a boat to Downtown Disney and Marketplace area. It is a nice boat ride and you get there by bus, also.

We prefer the FQ though over Riverside. It is smaller in size and our 4 yr. old loves the alligator - madigras theme at the pool. The slide is smaller and slower than Riverside. The food court is also smaller but still has a good selection. Simply put there are less people because there are less rooms. And, almost any bldg is centrally located. The nice thing is you can walk the river to Riverside and use all their facilities, too, since they are considered sister resorts.

If you like the SW theme then Coronado Springs would be good. It is a very large resort and also known as a convention hotel. The food court is nice but they charge an automatic gratuity on your bill -- that bothers some -- including me. The pool area and dig site is suppose to be absolutely wonderful and kids really love it. This isn't the hotel for us since we live in the SW. It is as if we never left home. And, some of the casitas are WAY out there and it can be a hike to get to the main bldg. area.

I have read lots about CBR but haven't been there in 8 years so can't really comment on it.

Hi rocketman! Welcome to the DIS boards! :)

Last year my husband and I were trying to decide which moderate to stay at, along with our 2 sons who were 13 and 10 at the time. We looked at the pictures on the official Disney web site and then looked here and did as much research as we could. After looking at all 4 of the moderate resorts, the pictures and theming of Caribbean Beach Resort just jumped out at us! All of us unanimously agreed that we thought CBR looked like the most fun!

A year ago right now (this week) we were there and had an AWESOME time! Since then, every single room at CBR has been totally refurbished and are like brand new rooms. I was just there a couple of months ago, stayed at CBR again, and I can say firsthand, the new rooms are really nice! :)

CBR's rooms are the largest of all the moderates and are the same size as a couple of the deluxe resorts. They have just added a privacy curtain between the dressing area by the sinks, and the rest of the room. This is so handy to have when you are trying to get changed in the morning or after a shower and have children in the room with you!

The grounds at CBR are beautiful. Check out Ted and Holly's thread where they have just posted some new pictures from their recent trip! Then check out both of my web sites below. I have a lot of pictures and general info about CBR.

I think you would enjoy any of the moderates, but I personally feel that at CBR you really feel like you're getting 2 vacations in one; at the parks and also at the tropical resort! I also think your sons would really enjoy it. I know mine did!

Happy planning! :) Have a wonderful vacation wherever you stay! :)

My last trip to WDW was in 2000 when my kids were 5 and 8. We stayed at POFQ and we absolutely loved it! We just put the brochure on the table and pointed out which resorts they could choose from.

They picked POFQ based on the pics of the Serpent slide, pool, playground, and the large Mardi Gras items suspended from the ceiling in the food court. I understand that the foodcourt has been done over now. Maybe someone staying there at the end of this month can update everyone about that change.

We stayed in Building #5 which was literally steps away from the pool, hot tub, foodcourt and bus stop. We didn't walk more than 200 feet to anything at this resort! Which is a HUGE bonus at 11:00pm when you are coming back from MK and the kids are deadwood asleep in your arms! We walked no more than 200 feet from the bus stop to our room. The best part is that we NEVER heard the bus if we slept in or went to bed early.

POFQ is much smaller than PORF which we liked but there are pros and cons to both. One of the things we loved about staying at POFQ was the fact that we were always the first stop on the bus to and from the parks. The busses will start at POFQ and then make (if I remember correctly) 5 stops at PORF.

Many nights leaving the parks we were always lucky to have a seat. I felt really bad for those who had to stand on the way "home".

On the other hand. There are more paths and things to explore at PORF because it's a larger resort. They also have the southern/antebellum and the woodsy theme for variety. They also offer trundle beds which POFQ didn't.

Good luck in choosing but I'm sure whatever you decide you will have a great time no matter what.

I would suggest PO Riverside - Alligator Bayou. We have stayed in all four, and they are all wonderful. All have great central pools with slides. Each has advatages, but for your purpose, I would do the Bayou for one main reason - trundle bed! The Alligator Bayou section has a trundle bed under the main bed so your sons could each have their own bed. Also, there is fishing, pedal boating, surrey bike rental, etc for you to enjoy.

As the previous posts have demonstrated, everyone has their favorite (mine is CBR - the rooms are a bit larger and the food court is awesome), but for your sons, Riverside sounds great. My son is 6 and he LOVES it.

Have fun on your trip!

Another vote for POFQ..............we've stayed there three times and absolutely loved it every time!!! In fact, even though we just bought into the DVC, our daughters are begging to go back to POFQ!!! Building 5 is perfect.....just steps away from the pool, food court, bus stop, and boat ride (to Downtown Disney)........we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

CBR 01/00
POFQ 09/00
CBR 01/01
POFQ 05/01
POFQ 09/01
ASSP 11/01

and in 12 more days.....

AKL & BC 05/02:) :) :)

What a problem to have:confused: We stayed at PO-R twice. My dd was 8 on our last visit (Nov. 01) She loved it. The pool, playground and arcade are very cool (her words!) We stayed in both sections. With boys I would be inclined to use Alligator Bayou. More rustic. However, all this being said, our next trip down we'll be trying out CBR. Thanks to people like SeaSpray we just have to give it a try! Either one would be terrific I think. Have a ball planning!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter