Help me choose a 2 bedroom!

we were in similar situation, first big family vacation: DD who will be 6 and 4 adults (DH, myself, grandma & grand papa) and wanted proximity to MK. initially we booked in poly. villas standard room with 2 bathrooms with direct booking with disney (end of Apr/beg May). The price was around 650/nite which was within our budget for what we wanted (togetherness and 2 baths) but was uncomfortable with lack of space for 4 adults. After much research and going back n forth, we ended up renting points (first time ever) with 2 bedroom at Boulder Ridge villas and have all the extras we want for less than the cash rate (I think ours ended up $620/ni) which was so much doable for us.

I highly suggest to think about renting points (research, research the owner or go through a broker). we are so happy with our room selection and the price point is within range for our budget.

If you think on renting, do your research by searching online the estimated points needed and avg cost $15/point (I negotiated ours down through an owner). that way you can compare the resorts in your decision

we were in similar situation, first big family vacation: DD who will be 6 and 4 adults (DH, myself, grandma & grand papa) and wanted proximity to MK. initially we booked in poly. villas standard room with 2 bathrooms with direct booking with disney (end of Apr/beg May). The price was around 650/nite which was within our budget for what we wanted (togetherness and 2 baths) but was uncomfortable with lack of space for 4 adults. After much research and going back n forth, we ended up renting points (first time ever) with 2 bedroom at Boulder Ridge villas and have all the extras we want for less than the cash rate (I think ours ended up $620/ni) which was so much doable for us.

I highly suggest to think about renting points (research, research the owner or go through a broker). we are so happy with our room selection and the price point is within range for our budget.

If you think on renting, do your research by searching online the estimated points needed and avg cost $15/point (I negotiated ours down through an owner). that way you can compare the resorts in your decision

Thanks! I will do that.

The issue with WDW as compared to DLR is there is no resort close to all parks. You're going to have to rely on bus (or car hire) for some of them. We've actually found that AKV transportation is super convenient. Yes, it's further from MK, but you only share a bus with AKL, so it's just as fast as from other resorts that share buses. Plus the restaurants at AK are among the most unique at WDW.

WL is my absolute favorite and has the boat access to MK. The restaurants there are great as well, especially the new Geyser Point. The 2bd at CCV is amazing (haven't stayed at BRV).

We like BLT okay but don't love the theming. Haven't stayed at the GF and the Poly is great but no 2bd. Haven't stayed at the BWV or BCV (next on our list). They'd be convenient to EP and DHS, but it sounds like transportation to MK from there isn't great (from what I've read).

My vote is AKV or WL for the whole time or a split stay with a MK resort.

Animal Kingdom is a beautiful resort (you can see animal from most of the rooms, and many viewing locations around the resorts), and has great pools and restaurants. BUT it is only close (and by bus) to Animal Kingdom park.
It takes about 15 minutes by bus to go from Jambo House to Epcot. MK might take a bit longer, DHS a bit less.

So my husband and I were looking at resorts last night.

For Villa's
We really liked Grand Floridian's 2 bedroom suite, then our second choice would be the 2 bedroom suite at the Bay lake Tower. We also discussed connecting rooms at the Polynesian village (thoughts?), I usually steer away from requests that may not be granted, but it might be ok). We love the idea of being close to MK. Probably 7 nights. A back up would be Wilderness Lodge Villas.

Then we discussed doing a split stay, so 2 nights at the end at AK with a Savannah view. Sort of a relaxing end to the busy vacation. The pools and restaurants look great there!

We decided instead of club level, we would just get the deluxe dining plan. We love specialty dining and character dining, so this would allow us to us some restaurants that use 2 credits easily. Plus my kids eat a ton, lol.

I think we are leaning more toward a villa for the increased space (either directly through Disney or as a dvc rental, depending on what we can get at the time). I need to do more research on rentals. Any advice? Thoughts on the tentative plan?

We will be buying our tickets using our rewards program airmiles, so packages aren't really a concern. Same with flights.
GFV is the smallest DVC resort at WDW. It is very popular with members who own there so if will be difficult to get the points you need by renting. You may need to consider a private rental through a GFV owner instead of through a broker. That villa also requires a lot of points for a week's stay. So that may also be a sticking point with renting points. We have stayed in a one bedroom villa there on our own points (one bedroom villas can be a bit easier to book, especially in May when we have stayed there) and will be staying there again this May.

When you are talking about Wilderness Lodge villas, there are actually two DVC resorts located at Wilderness Lodge, the original one which is now called Boulder Ridge Villas (used to be Villas at Wilderness Lodge) and the newest one called Copper Creek Villas. Boulder Ridge has studios, one and two bedroom villas. Copper Creek has studios, one and two bedroom villas, Grand Villas (three bedroom villas) and Wilderness Cabins (that sleep eight).

If you are also looking at AKL, there are two DVC locations there (but only one resort), Jambo House which is the main lodge where the fifth and sixth floors were converted into DVC villas and Kidani Village which was built from the start as DVC villas. Both have nice villas on the savannas, but you can easily walk between the two buildings in about five to ten minutes. There is a themed pool at each location, too.

GFV is the smallest DVC resort at WDW. It is very popular with members who own there so if will be difficult to get the points you need by renting. You may need to consider a private rental through a GFV owner instead of through a broker. That villa also requires a lot of points for a week's stay. So that may also be a sticking point with renting points. We have stayed in a one bedroom villa there on our own points (one bedroom villas can be a bit easier to book, especially in May when we have stayed there) and will be staying there again this May.

When you are talking about Wilderness Lodge villas, there are actually two DVC resorts located at Wilderness Lodge, the original one which is now called Boulder Ridge Villas (used to be Villas at Wilderness Lodge) and the newest one called Copper Creek Villas. Boulder Ridge has studios, one and two bedroom villas. Copper Creek has studios, one and two bedroom villas, Grand Villas (three bedroom villas) and Wilderness Cabins (that sleep eight).

If you are also looking at AKL, there are two DVC locations there (but only one resort), Jambo House which is the main lodge where the fifth and sixth floors were converted into DVC villas and Kidani Village which was built from the start as DVC villas. Both have nice villas on the savannas, but you can easily walk between the two buildings in about five to ten minutes. There is a themed pool at each location, too.

Thanks, that is good information.

Based on my research so far, when I rent points, I can give them a request list of rooms we would like. So if I rank where we would like to stay and see what we can get? Our dates are also flexible, as we are off all of July, so I'm assuming this may help. I don't think we are too concerned if our first request isn't available. I'm not sure about a private rental or not. I like the idea of renting through a company as this would be our first time doing that.

Any thoughts on connecting rooms at Polynesian? The resort looks lovely. Thoughts?

Based on my research so far, when I rent points, I can give them a request list of rooms we would like. So if I rank where we would like to stay and see what we can get? Our dates are also flexible, as we are off all of July, so I'm assuming this may help. I don't think we are too concerned if our first request isn't available. I'm not sure about a private rental or not. I like the idea of renting through a company as this would be our first time doing that.

Any thoughts on connecting rooms at Polynesian? The resort looks lovely. Thoughts?
If you are looking at the studios at the Polynesian Resort, most of them do have a connecting door the studio that is adjacent. There are a few that do not have connecting doors though. You would need the owner you rent from to add "traveling with" to both reservations.

If you are looking at the studios at the Polynesian Resort, most of them do have a connecting door the studio that is adjacent. There are a few that do not have connecting doors though. You would need the owner you rent from to add "traveling with" to both reservations.
Thanks!

I would look into BLT theme park view if you can afford it. DD loved being able to see the castle out the window at age 4. We could also be back in the room and have the kids in bed, then enjoy the fireworks for the balcony. Having three bathrooms is nice too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter