Help. Leave next week. Knee issues

Sue1016

Mouseketeer
we leave next week. Whole family is going. Sister (35 yrs old). Started having really bad pain last night ( when she was 12 she broke her knee so bad the had to see it back together). She went to hospital last night. Nothing broke just all inflamed and arthritis. She has crutches now. Tell me about Evc. She probably can walk short distances like to park it the evc

Tell me where I rent best for cheap
Hotel ( we staying all star sports)
How do I do buses and lines and restaurants

Nervous wreck. Feel terrible for her

we leave next week. Whole family is going. Sister (35 yrs old). Started having really bad pain last night ( when she was 12 she broke her knee so bad the had to see it back together). She went to hospital last night. Nothing broke just all inflamed and arthritis. She has crutches now. Tell me about Evc. She probably can walk short distances like to park it the evc

Tell me where I rent best for cheap
Hotel ( we staying all star sports)
How do I do buses and lines and restaurants

Nervous wreck. Feel terrible for her

There are a few places to rent ECV I would get one from at off-site vendor so that she has it the whole time ( if you rent from Disney then you can only use them at the parks) I would spend a few minutes riding the ECV around the hotel ( 5-10 minutes) see how it turns, stops, goes.

you should be ok in the hotel how many people are in one room and how many nights, I stay at spots a lot with a friend in an ECV you can ask then to take the table and chairs out to give you more room. make sure you charge the ECV every night.

buses you will be first one on last one off. the lines for the busses you will have a wheelchair ECV line about 95% of the time the only time is sometimes at the end of the night at MK you will go in the same line as everyone else and closer to the front you will be pulled out. ( you will know when this is happing)

lines for rides, all but 5 are mainstream ( you can bring your ECV or a wheelchair that you can brow in the standby or FP line)

restaurants, just tell then that you have someone in an ECV, can she walk at all,

Here is the link to the Disability FAQ has a lot of information on where you can rent an ECV, about the lines, and other things.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

There are TONS of tips here - use the "Search..." box in the upper right area of this page, and look for "first time ECV".

I'm sorry this happened to so close to the trip, but she is wise to use the ECV, and help prevent further damage and inflammation; the average Guest can easily walk between 3 & 10 miles per day at WDW.

I can't speak to other off-site rental companies, but I'm using Buena Vista and they have a Crutch/Cane Holder accessory that can be added to the ECV. It's about $5 per day. It makes it much easier to manuever if you aren't trying to balance your crutches while driving like I have seen many guests try to do. I used the link on the bottom of www.wdwinfo.com page, and got my holder for free.

Last edited:
Hi there! Firstly, don't panic - Disney is one of the most accessible places I've ever been. An ECV would be a huge help and would allow your sister to enjoy her vacation rather than enduring it. You'll get a huge amount of help in the FAQ thread, particularly on things such as external rentals.

As others have said, most attractions are mainstream queuing (i.e. wheelchair and ECV users go through the same line as everyone else for most or all of the way), though some do require you to transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair (these are marked on the guest maps and wheelchairs are provided at these attractions). The buses are also very easy, just follow any signs with a wheelchair picture or ask a CM if you get stuck. At your resort, there will usually be a 'parking space' marked out for you to wait in, so the bus driver sees you immediately.

If she needs to stop and put her knee up for a while, the first aid stations will let her use one of their beds. Just go in and explain the situation and they'll get her set up with whatever she needs. If icing the knee helps, it might also be a good idea to take a refillable ice pack, as you can get a cup of ice from any counter-service restaurant.

I hope this gives you a 'starter for ten', but do come back with any questions that you or your sister have. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!