Help! It’s been a LONG time

Starkeeper99

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
So our last trip to Disney was probably about eight or so years ago. We’ve missed it and it’s time to come back! My husband used to say I had made my MBA in Disney as I had it down to a science-getting to the park early, utilising the fast passes and zig when everyone else zagged! We also tried to go at ofttimes - September after the kids went back to school and between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
So not only do I have to learn the new fast pass strategies ( really hate the idea that I can’t pick three of the ones I really want not a fan of the tier system 😏) we are planning a trip December 21 through December 26 -yes I know busy time 🤪
I guess my first question would be with the new system and the time of year that I am going is it still a good game plan to try and ride a few of the biggies at rope drop and then utilise my first round of fast passes? If I do this, what are the chances of getting more FP’s? We are a group of four that like the big rides we have seen the shows that are not new a few times and will fit those in when and if we can-we are more about riding rides. Any suggestions, help, tips on where to go get the best strategies would be greatly appreciated! Yes I am a planner... I am the one who has laminated tour plans 🙃 If anyone has gone during Christmas and has what they did and what worked and what didn’t and would like to share I would be SO very thankful! Oh and yes this is a surprise trip for my 2 DD (19&17) ideas on how to surprise them?

I'll just go with the last question, and I probably have the dissenting opinion on this. I am not a fan of the delayed surprise. I know it looks cool on videos to wake the kids up and tell them "Today we're going to Disney World!" You know all that fun, anticipation, and excitement you had in planning the trip? You take that experience away from your kids when you pull the surprise reveal. Yes, the trip is the big thing. But during a crappy day, they don't have the opportunity to think, "It's ok. I'm going to Disney World in 2 months." Or when a Disney commercial comes on tv, they can't put themselves in that picture since they don't know that they're going. So, by all means come up with a creative way to tell them you're going. Just don't wait!!

I'll just go with the last question, and I probably have the dissenting opinion on this. I am not a fan of the delayed surprise. I know it looks cool on videos to wake the kids up and tell them "Today we're going to Disney World!" You know all that fun, anticipation, and excitement you had in planning the trip? You take that experience away from your kids when you pull the surprise reveal. Yes, the trip is the big thing. But during a crappy day, they don't have the opportunity to think, "It's ok. I'm going to Disney World in 2 months." Or when a Disney commercial comes on tv, they can't put themselves in that picture since they don't know that they're going. So, by all means come up with a creative way to tell them you're going. Just don't wait!!
Good point! We have surprised them twice only once the day before- they were younger but were so surprised and happy- this was how we did it
now that they are older, I think I will do what you suggested- still surprise them but do it sooner rather than later!

We do what you describe. We enter a park as an example Animal Kingdom. While everyone goes left for Pandora we go right. We can usually hit Everest, Kali River and Kilimanjaro before it gets busy. Then we use the Fast Passes, Last time we got FoP tjen we stood stanby for Na'vi.After that fast pass's for Dinosaur and It Tough To Be A Bug. I know we got a 4th Fast Pass after that but I do no have my notes with me. We walked the Animal Trails and even managed a 2nd Stand By ride on FoP. You can work the system be hitting your passes as the park starts to get busier. As for a surprise considering the ages of your kids I would check casually to make sure they do not have any plans during that time.

I always choose my Fastpasses to begin at least 1.5 hours after park opening, then stack them one after the other over the next 3-4 hours. We almost always do rope drop and hit the expected biggest draw before the lines get crazy. I can't really help you with the concept of Christmas crowds as I won't go near there within 3 weeks of Christmas. I actually don't mind the new system vs the paper passes that had me running from ride to ride like a lunatic with the whole family's cards. The new way allows me to focus on the big item rides exclusively, since I don't need to run around securing fastpasses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter