HELP! I just can't plan this trip! (Long - sorry)

Slartibartfast

Earning My Ears
I need some Disney experts to help me out. We'll be staying at CYM in Downtown Disney Aug 10-15. (Just couldn't pass up that incredible rate). I'm having a terrible time figuring out the logistics.

The background:

DS is 6, DD is 5. We'll de driving down. Even though we're getting the low hotel rate, we still can't afford to spend a bundle on this vacation. So the plan is to drive 8 hrs from Nashville to Destin, stay with my parents there on Sat night, then drive 4-5 hours to Orlando on Sunday. After the fun, we'll drive back to Destin, spend the night, then back to Nashville.

This means we have 4 days surrounded by 2 half-days. So logic would say get the 4-day Park-Hopper. No use blowing a PH day on a partial day.

But if we go to MK twice (as most people suggest), WE'LL HAVE TO SKIP ANOTHER PARK!:mad: How the heck do I choose which park to miss? Conventional wisdom says EPCOT because of my kids ages, but I really wanted to do Princess Storybook Breakfast for DD. DW and I really want to do 50's Cafe in MGM.

Another parameter: both kids are very skittish about rides. We probably won't get them on any but the most tame ones. SO:

Do we 1) Do MK twice and Skip EPCOT, AK or MGM?
2) Do MK once (since kids are scared of most rides)?
3) Bite the bullet and drive the whole way down on Saturday, stay in a cheapie offsite, then do MK Sunday with a 5-day PH. If so, what's a cheapie (but safe) offsite?

Sorry so long, I'm just frazzled thinking about all this.

We've never spent a full day at either animal kingdom or mgm. We usually just hit the highlights and then move on to another park. That being said, we've been to Disney many times and so we know what we like and what we don't like. You can go to MK early - as soon as it gets really crowded leave and take the bus to Animal Kingdom. Animal Kingdom doesn't seem nearly as crowded in the afternoon (at least not on our recent trip). Go back to MK on another morning then ride the bus to MGM - stay for Fantasmic.

Will your kids handle a long day well??

I'm just thinkin' about the possibility of visiting the Animal Kingdom early, then leaving early afternoon and hopping to the MK for the remainder of the day. Hopefully this would be a day when the MK is open relatively late.

If your kids don't want to do anything but the most tame rides, there would be several at the AK you won't be doing, anyway (Dinosaur, Kali River Rapids, Primevil Whirl and possibly ITTBAB).

This would allow you to visit all four parks with 1-1/2 days at the Magic Kingdom. But this would only work if your kids are up to something like that . . . no fun if they're crabby!!!:rolleyes:

Good suggestions. I think you're missing the point of the Hopper. I think for kids, AK is a short day, probably MGM (with the way your kids feel about rides, skip ToT, the R&RC, and Star Tours). And with kids, Epcot can be a short day.

If you think that you want a full day in AK, then spend one day doing MGM and Epcot. They are seperated by a short boat ride (and an even shorter walk if the heat isn't bad). And Epcot is always open until 9. I'd suggest doing MGM in the AM, then heading over to Epcot. Your kids will love Illuminations.

Pat

Hope this helps -

AK is really only a half-day park, so you could go to MK the other half. Also MK seems to be closing earlier than Epcot, so you could transfer over when MK closes.

My granddaughter (7) loves Epcot. She needs to go on Spaceship Earth on first entering the park. Also the rides in Future World are mostly tame.

We enjoy going to MK in the morning, taking an early afternoon break, then going to Epcot in the evening. The Epcot fireworks are great and unlike MK they are on every nite.

Been there First slow down.... All the planning in the world needs to be flexible with 2 small kids..

Try this on for size.... Do princess Breakfast and see some things in EPCOT,there are rides and shows for the children. If they are board hop to the next park. My guess is that if your kids do not like rides you may not need more than 1 day in MK. I am sure you realize that it is going to be HOT . Get going early and come back to the parks later in the day.

Jungle cruise is a real good ride for the small ones in the daylight. One year we hopped on the JC after a night parade. MY DD then 7 was scared to death. DS 3 just buried his head during the ride. Start with all the really easy rides Small world, Winnie the pooh and work up from there. Give yourself the option to go back, based on the children and use your passes to park hop. The parades are great

Why not do a 5 day PH but get your full day in on the 15th? You could do AK that day since it closes the earliest, and then drive to your parents house. If you leave the park at 6, you would get in around 11, which isn't super late. It really depends on if your children love animals if they will like AK. You may find them getting bored by watching animals or they oculd be completely enthralled by it. Either way, by getting the extra day you will not be using a half day and you will still be able to double up on a park.

I know it is an added expense at the moment, but the tickets never expire, so even if you feel that you "did" all the parks, you could then just leave on the 15th as planned. Even if you do not go back when your children are still officially children in the eyes of Disney, their passes can be changed to adult passes at no extra cost. That way you would have a day left over for future use.

This comes from a person who HAS to spend every possible seconds in the parks, so I am a bit biased.

Whoa! Deep breath! It is easy to get frazzeled when planning a trip.

We never plan a full day at AK or Studios either. I have the opposite problem - teenagers who don't do shows just rides.

My suggestions would be:

1. Make the most of the park hours and get there as soon as the park opens. Try using EE.

2. Epcot has become one of those hit the highlight parks for us. Maybe it could be a half day park for you with breakfast being the BIG deal.

3. Depending on what your kids would like to ride. Consider each park and what they WILL do then try to gauge your time in each park. Seriously, I go park by park and list the rides (shows) the kids will do and try to make a game plan.

Above all be flexible and have a good time.

Melissa

I think with some careful planning, you might be able to see and do "the best of the best" in 4 days (yes, at all 4 parks!:D ) That is the beauty of summer hours and a park hopper ticket. If it were me, I would be at MK at opening on the days you plan to be at that park, then take a break midday, have some lunch, let the kids rest and get yourselves rejuvenated. After that, head back to one of the other parks for late afternoon and evening. Epcot is the obvious choice because they are open late, but MGM has later hours too. I find my kids almost always need a break in the middle of the day or they are a mess by late afternoon so try looking at your time in those four days as 8 separate opportunities to visit the parks. Four mornings and four late afternoon and evenings. Your first half day could be spent by the pool and at Downtown Disney, which you won't need a ticket for,and your last half day could be used to go back and do anything you feel like you missed. Does that help some?
Try not to worry, I think you'll have a great time regardless. Even the best laid plans can run amuck at times. Armed with a good attitude you'll be just fine!:)

:D

This is the route we travel; and it usually takes us 6-7 hours from Destin to Orlando.

I would also suggest to play it by ear - depending on how the kids like MGM or AK, you could do a half day at one of those parks, and then hop over and finish off the rest of the day at MK.

My DD loves going to Epcot - and she loves decorating her "mask" at each of the countries. She likes to take her time at the countries and get it stamped and such. We always allow plenty of time for the making of the mask.

There are only a few things that my youngest DD likes to do at MGM - definitely Muppets 3D - but we usually have lunch at 50s Prime Time.

Have fun planning; but just be ready to make some last minute changes so the kids can have a great time!!!

personally, I always opt to skip animal kingdom. Maybe thats because in columbus we have such a great zoo..zoo's arent all that exciting to me. If your looking for rides, skip AK, but if your kids and you are really into animals..change it around..do a half day at AK, and half at Epcot..ask your kids, i no i always have an opinion on the subject.

We skipped AK on our last trip and did not miss it one bit. Maybe when the new attraction is finished in few years we will feel differently.

I will PM you about the CY. We stayed there on our first trip with DS and it was great!

We took our son (then 4yo) last year on six short trips. He did great and the reason is that we kept it SIMPLE!

Here is what I would do:

Sun. the 10th- check in and get settled. I would eat dinner at the hotel (I think they have a rest. I don't remember). Go for a swim- get a good night's rest! I believe the lobby has park maps. Get these so you can decide what attractions you will visit.

Mon, the 11th- Epcot- get to this park before they know what hits them. Try to get the earliest seating for the Princess Breakfast (8am). You will be done before the park opens. Explore Future world. You may not eat a lunch this day since you will probably still be full from breakfast . Take a pool break/nap. We did this every day (used our car) and had no problem. Come back in the evening (around 5 pm) and enjoy the World Showcase. My son always does better here at night. He is more relaxed and willing to do slower paced attractions. Plenty of counter service rest. and Liberty Inn has hamburgers,etc. See Illuminations!

Tues, the 12th- With Epcot done (and fully enjoyed by all), it's time to see the castle! Concentrate on fantasyland and Toonetown. Break after lunch and return for the evening
(or go back to Epcot ).

Wed, the 13th- AK- Even on busy days, we are always done by noonish (including lunch!) Break and go to MK- now park hours are not yet out for AUG, but every Wed. in July has Spectromagic showing at 9, so it may continue this way!

Thurs, the 14th-MGM- this park is little harder since the shows run on a schedule. Do what you can. Enjoy the details in this park-it is amazing. Lots of characters here, too. Break and come back for Fatasmic-maybe do the dinner package . We have eaten at Hollywood and Vine and Brown Derby and both were very good.
Go to guest services when you enter the park to book it.

Fri, the 15th -leave early and spend some time with grandparents.

Other tips-

-get to the parks 40 minutes to 1 hr before opening.
-Eat "early". 11 for lunch, 5 for dinner. Everything is less crowded.
-Water, squeeze breeze and sunscreen
-rent a stroller. The kids may want to switch off when they get tired.
-Avoid EE days. I don't think the CY is eligible (my schedule avoids them)
-After the kids go to bed, sit on your balcony and go over the park map for the next day.

Relax and enjoy yourselves. Don't worry about the kids. I guarantee you the best part of the trip to them will be what it is to all kids...the pool.

Remember to relax and have fun... All the suggestions were great but have you considered "professional" help? :)

Dreams Unlimited is great!! They will help you with the planning and PS for the meals, etc... As well as great tips! You can find them at www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com...

Everyone is going to have a plan that worked for them. That said, we live in Knoxville and we drive it in one day, we start early in the morning, I like to drive while the kids and my husband sleep, get there and stay at a cheap motel, I can almost always get the Marriott at the Orlando airport though priceline.com for $29.00. It is very nice and only about 15 minutes from the parks. I have a suitcase packed for that night like a “carry-on” one outfit and sleep wear and toiletries for each of us, we take just that suitcase in (so much easier) we swim, eat, and get a good nights sleep. The next morning we check-out and go to the park. We stay all day, and then leave and go check in our hotel for the week. The next day we go to another park, on the 3rd day we DON”T go to a park. We sleep late, swim, go to Downtown Disney or the McDonalds on Sand Lake Drive (more like a Chucky Cheese) My kids love it. By the 3rd day we are all tired and need a rest. Then we go into the parks on the next two days. We love all the parks, Animal Kingdom opens early and closes early, so it is easy to go early to AK and see everything, then leave and go to MK because it stays open late. It’s a long day though. We don’t leave in the middle of the day and then return because it take so much time just getting in and out of the park, even on property. I would rather save the ticket day by taking a whole day off. Sometimes we do change parks in the middle of the day but for the most part it takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get out of one park and into another, by the time you walk though the park to the exit, get the bus or boat and then get there and get in. Good Luck!

Everyone has already given great advice/tips- but I have to say TRY NOT TO SKIP EPCOT! And that's a GREAT idea on the Princess Breakfast- we did that on our first trip (the 2nd one was by myself) and ALL my children enjoyed it- even my youngest who had just turned 2. They all enjoyed Epcot a LOT too.... there's a lot more there to interest children than you think! Don't skip it! :)

What great suggestions! I feel much better - and I'm going to try to incorporate many of your suggestions. I LOVE the idea about dividing each day into half days. I know we'll have to do AK - my kids are animal crazy and 5 yo DD wants to be a Zookeeper when she grows up.

I didn't know it took 6-7 hours to drive from Destin. Since that will make about 15-16 hours driving in two days, I think going down we'll just drive all the way down on Sat the 9th (about 11 hrs, I think), and try to get a Priceline deal. We'll stay with Grandfolks afterward.

I think we'll get the 4-day Park Hopper Plus (through Alamo), that way we can take a break on Tuesday and do a water park and WinterSummerland.

We booked the room through Dreams Unlimited, so we will be using them for PSs. Probably just Princess Breakfast and 50's PT, since those are the only MUST dos. With my kids, its better to have flexibility.

I'm still working this through, but it looks manageable now. Thank you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter